HS30-00019

George

This topic is a great source of inspiration and information for those looking at how to do things to a high standard.

Seeing the photos of the jute installed I wondered what brand of sound deadener you used to spray the floorpans/firewall/trans tunnel?, 

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to use steel lines after all.

While the cupro-nickel has many great benefits the issue of legality put a damper on the party. I believe it will pass rego (non-engineered) without issue but should the braking system ever come under scrutiny for insurance/legal purposes it would certainly pose a problem.

Apart from legality, which was the deciding factor, when I tried to straighten a long section to use for the front-to-back run of the brake line, the soft nature of the material let it down - literally and figuratively. It is so soft it buckles under its own weight. Over short runs the pliability is fantastic but trying to keep it straight over a longer run will be a nightmare. The 5/16 line was fine but the smaller 3/16 would have been very fiddly.

I spent some time getting bundy tube plated which looked good but was a total failure. The plater had to leave it in the bath for a long time to get a good finish but that finish ended up being so thick that the nuts wouldn't fit over the line and the flares just cracked the coating.

My options were to take it back to him in the hope that he can do the job properly or look into Kunifer which I prefer.

The only thing stopping me from using the Kunifer was the legality so I hit up Google and many hours and calls later I am completely satisfied that I can safely and legally use it in NSW.

I'm not going to recreate the write up so if you're interested you can check out my research results here...

http://twofortyz.com/2018/04/are-copper-nickel-brake-lines-legal-in-australia/

Didn't get to work on the car over the weekend but I did spend some time on some wall art which should prove useful.

Alphabetical parts name index on the side and the 101 RHD parts manual diagrams.

Looking at getting this printed in one document but I'm not sure if they're covered by some copyright.

• 1 month later...
Reproduction

Autumn started off with a bang! On day one I finally joined the exclusive club of RH door mirror owners thanks to Ian from the Gong. I can clearly remember scouring eBay for door mirrors as early as a month into purchasing my rusty shell back in January 2014. They might not be as rare as I make them out to be but you do need a lot of luck to find one.

A couple of weeks ago Chinese reproduction RH door mirrors popped up on eBay and by all accounts are an excellent copy and likely to be made with the original tooling.

post-100274-0-89751400-1527742460_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-31509000-1527742467_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-65402700-1527742480_thumb.jpg

Photos courtesy of Peter H.

Reproductions are not new to Datsun owners. We've seen many parts and panels over the years and I expect to see many more as these cars increase in value and owners take up more restorations. Exciting times ahead!

Lessons Relearned

I've made my fair share of mistakes and have learned a lot of lessons thus far. I've had a good run these past few weeks but the laws of nature dictated I was due another lesson any day now.  True to form the lesson of patience revisited me on the second last day of Autumn when I set out to finish my hard lines.

post-100274-0-33765000-1527742561_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-89502600-1527742566_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-39894600-1527742574_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-72202600-1527742587_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-81066700-1527742594_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-23299200-1527742604_thumb.jpg

For those that haven't worked it out, I'm a suffering perfectionist. It's a blessing and a curse. Things always take longer but the results are always worth it. This quarter I set out to finish the brake and fuel lines and with a couple of days to go I only had the fuel supply line left. It's the thicker 8mm line so it's harder to bend accurately. I figured all the experience of bending the thinner lines first will come in handy and it did... except when you rush things to meet a deadline that isn't really all that important.

I started working on it from back to front and had all the bends so perfect it got me drunk from excitement. Time melted away, bed time came and went, the radio blared song after song, eyes started stinging but the excitement fuelled my throbbing fingers which continued to bend and twist towards the finish line. Two bends to go... check and recheck... angle is right, it's an easy 90 degree bend, one I've done over and over... I can feel my head on the soft pillow... and bend and crimp and... what the hell is that! I tried to blink away the crimp but it was there, all squashed and laughing at my tired eyes. I'll show you! In the vice it went and the tube took a new square profile. Maybe if I bend it back... no, the vice again... or maybe the pliers... or maybe try and blink it away again...

There was a moment half an hour prior to that mistake where I paused and almost packed up for the night. I recognised I was tired and decided I should go to bed but instead pushed on to call the job done. Live and learn and relearn I guess. Back to eBay for another roll of tube.

Progress

This quarter has been a productive one with parts finally going on the car while others are inching closer to the same fate. The mailman keeps bringing new bits and pieces and, as always, some organisational improvements make the whole project that much more enjoyable.

post-100274-0-91140600-1527742653_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-81033100-1527742765_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-77533500-1527742664_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-43395900-1527742673_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-28782000-1527742684_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-96778000-1527742691_thumb.jpgpost-100274-0-89622300-1527742701_thumb.jpg

Next level, as usual George. Well done!!

Please tell me they are NOS brake springs and clips, and not refurbished items detailed to perfection.

BTW I think you could have a part time job writing for Ribald.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, PeterAllen said:

George.

If you have not done so, temporarily install the handbrake lever mechanism to ensure the lines clear, and do it before you install the engine and gearbox.

Don't ask why I'm advising you of this.

Haha, I won't ask then.

I pulled it out tonight and will be test fitting it over the weekend.

I was also looking at the handbrake cables. I think mine were modified at some stage. The U shaped part on the right doesn't resemble the parts manual. I found a bolt in my miscellaneous box that resembles #20 below. Can anyone confirm if that's the correct one?

I'm also missing #16 I think.

Btw, I'm uploading from phone. Hope the photos aren't too large...

IMG_20180615_191401.jpg

IMG_20180615_203613.jpg

IMG_20180615_203003.jpg

34 minutes ago, PeterAllen said:

The clevis (#16) might be the same as fitted to the master cylinders - worth a look. 

Thanks Peter. I'll dig around some of my boxes over the weekend although I don't think I have that clevis. I found it odd that I have the correct bolt to be honest. Why would I have it if the car's handbrake mechanism was modified... That's why I wanted to confirm it's the right one. Looks correct to me and it fits within the pin properly - being secured by the head once positioned.

Edited by George