Adjustable rear control arm

zcar63

Hi Jason/600z

Jason do you have any trashed 6 speed gearbox's i can play with?thinking of doing the bell housing thing.

The adjuster is machined from solid 4130 (chrome moly),the female end of the adjuster is L/H thread and the male end is R/H.The insert in the control arm is also 4130 ,the spacers that go either side of the rose joint are mild steel,they are spacers after all.This set will give you between 1.5 to 3.5 degrees camber approx.

Cheers David

Hello David,

No I don't sorry, there not that easy to come by for a good price at times. You could try somewhere like Gabba gearboxes in Brisbane as your in Brissy aren't you? I'm in Tassie.

The control arms of yours have come up very well, I have been thinking of making up front and rear ones but more so the front for mine but one thing at a time I have just made an electric power steering column for mine and waiting for it to be approved.

Justin

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi All

the limiting factor on the front arms is the 14mm bolt on the inboard end. I'm using 16mm x 1.5 fine  thread  rod end at the moment, which is bushed down to fit  the bolt this rod end is rated up to 10.6 Kn radial load.I could use a bigger rod end  (3/4) and bush it down to fit the 14mm bolt, but you still have a 14mm bolt in the cross member, the bolt is in double shear though.If  the hole in the cross member is enlarged for a bigger bolt  ........

They sually dont, as it is thickened.

It is a severe side impact ( rally car sliding sideways into sharp gutter/rut etc) that will bend the threads on a rod end, mostly right at the root where thread meets outer ball end.

Not hard to fit larger diam shanked bolt to suit the inner diam of ballend, or the sleeved ball end

Usuall method is a pair of spacers with a turned down step that is slide fit into ball, and outer faces f bushes skimmed so whole lot sludes into cross member,, as per zcar63 spacer bushes.

The spacers also provide greater load bearing area inside the crossmember.

I've recently redone the inner LCA's on the rally car, as they tend to flog out.

Back to rear LCAs (transverse links as Datsun call them).

I don't like spherical rod ends on road cars - durability is a concern for me, so I swapped the ends for bushed ends on my after-market LCAs.

I needed to skim 4mm off one face on each and shorten the stainless steel sleeve 4 mm also. I also linished out the bore a lick to suit the 16mm spindle pin.The outcome works perfectly.

post-684-144023807122_thumb.jpg

post-684-144023807128_thumb.jpg

post-684-144023807131_thumb.jpg

post-684-144023807138_thumb.jpg

post-684-144023807144_thumb.jpg

Rally cars are a different bag of cats,the suspension is under severe stress , for instance , you have near or fully compressed suspension and at the same time slamming into a washout or rut or hole .So all the the suspension and tyre is under full compression and now a rigid structure .The rod end is now under the pump. The best option is to machine out the front cross member and use a 20mm /3/4 inch bolt  and a corresponding  larger rod end .If your happy to alter the front cross member i can incorporate a larger rod end.

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I have updated the design of the control arms.Now using 3/4" rod ends and some larger tube ( see the pictures for better description), the rod ends and new sections of tube are rated higher in bending. I have added some rubber boots on the outer rod ends to give a bit more protection from the elements.The gussets are made from CrMo RHS.. All parts are CrMo exept the 5mm thrust  washers where the inner bushing fits.The rod end have bushings so the 16mm spindle pin(bolt)  fits.

post-101644-0-55978500-1446201333_thumb.jpg

post-101644-0-14723700-1446201353_thumb.jpg

post-101644-0-31980500-1446201481_thumb.jpg

post-101644-0-98924400-1446201498_thumb.jpg

post-101644-0-86106100-1446201516_thumb.jpg

post-101644-0-65579700-1446201538_thumb.jpg

post-101644-0-82177600-1446201568_thumb.jpg

Hi Jake

No Complaints as yet :) .Have  had a couple of people down south  with high horsepower z's  doing quite a few laps, and are more than happy with the original design. Still making the earlier type,had a couple of people express interest in a heavy type ,bigger gussets, tube and rod ends, so here it is .Could be attractive to the rally fraternity.

Cheers David

• 1 year later...

Back to rear LCAs (transverse links as Datsun call them).

I don't like spherical rod ends on road cars - durability is a concern for me, so I swapped the ends for bushed ends on my after-market LCAs.

I needed to skim 4mm off one face on each and shorten the stainless steel sleeve 4 mm also. I also linished out the bore a lick to suit the 16mm spindle pin.The outcome works perfectly.

Where can you buy these bush ends Peter??

From the USA.

There are a lot of welded units but I wanted the forged ones.

I've hidden all my receipts in case my wife saw them so it'll take me a bit of time to find out the exact seller. I'll get back to you.

(edit)

I found this on their (Hawk Hardware's) web site.

http://hawkhardware.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=123_10_136_138&products_id=619

The reason I went with this seller was other overseas sellers wouldn't post to Oz or were too exorbitant in postage cost. Local prices were ridiculous. 

They are called either BUSHED ROD ENDS or FOUR (or 4) BAR ENDS (Hot rodders used them for upper and lower wishbones)

Edited by PeterAllen