• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can source you 15x10's in neg 27 offset

Load rated and JIC Standards approved

Replica Watanabe Type R's

If the 15x9's in neg 13 are not fat enough

I'm a little confused but from what i gathered i think 'in a nutshell' he is after:

1. Wide 16's in a negative offset. Not 15's/17's

2. A larger, cheaper selection of low profile tyres that are square.

3. Wheels and tyres that won't change his rolling diameter.

4. Must be 100% legal.

5. Wheels must look like Volk te37's/rota grid

6. Wheels must be Cheap.

7. Wheels must be engineerable.

8. Tyres that aren't too tall or flabby

9. Must fill out flares.

10. Or another legal, cheap way to fill out flares (eg. Hub modification, spacer.)

Now this is the sort of information I'm after!

Your 100% right Retro Z, yup i sure am picky!

I wonder if it would be possible to get 9 other people interested!?! Sounds like a tricky one, I'll have to shoot

Rota another message.

*EDIT*

I have seen a few people trow the number 5 around a bit in regards to sets of rims... If this is the case I could nearly

buy the 5 sets for the cost of the Volks and sell them off at my leasure...

Contact Michael or Sam from Rota Australia

.http://www.rotaaustralia.com.au/contact_us.php

Rather than,  Rotawheels.com.au/ Vision R who are just distributor/reseller.

They will correspond with you and the rep in Phillipines. Last time i asked they require payment upfront or a large deposit as the mold costs a lot of money and have a 3 month turn around time.

I'm a little confused but from what i gathered i think 'in a nutshell' he is after:

1. Wide 16's in a negative offset. Not 15's/17's

2. A larger, cheaper selection of low profile tyres that are square.

3. Wheels and tyres that won't change his rolling diameter.

4. Must be 100% legal.

5. Wheels must look like Volk te37's/rota grid

6. Wheels must be Cheap.

7. Wheels must be engineerable.

8. Tyres that aren't too tall or flabby

9. Must fill out flares.

10. Or another legal, cheap way to fill out flares (eg. Hub modification, spacer.)

Not quite he want's skinny (8") 16s that go out to the edge of the flares, so the rims and tyres are cheaper.

I somewhat disagree with that triangle. The 4th thing to consider is time. Cost can be diminished when effort it put in.

That is essentially my work ethic when it comes to this car, and yes, i have to ask a butt ton of questions to make it possible,

but it's not hurting anyone. If you don't want to reply to my posts, I really don't mind. There are some people on here who are

very generous with their time and knowledge and enjoy passing on their wisdom.

Imagine if, somehow, I managed to discover some sort of development through my researching and querying, imagine the benefit

to the community. I don't want a cookie cutter car, and while in general the car will be fairly normal, I don't want to be limited by

naysayers and lack of knowledge. So i ask my questions here, and really appreciate when someone spends the time to sit down

and share their knowledge, is there any harm in that?

Simple solution, if you don't want to reply, you don't. :D

FYI i have once again come to a dead end here, but I am still searching. I have sent an email off to rota to determine what the

chances are of them producing a 16x9 wheel (with neg offset). They might say "That's stupid, we wouldn't sell any", but there is

always a chance that they are already in the development stage of making such a wheel... This is where the effort factor comes in.

I am happy to help people out who have sensible questions and there are plenty examples of that on this forum. You need to bear in mind that 100s of noobs before you have asked the same questions and gotten the same answers.

Time doesn't buy you expensive parts needed to restoration or builds, if that was all it took then there would be tons of mint zeds driving around. Not only will you end up with dish on your rims but the car will drive poorly due to bad scrub radius as mentioned earlier on in the thread. The reason they don't exist in that offset is that it would be bad design. Just save up the extra money and buy TE-37vs like you want or just not flare it and run the 8"s if you are set on 16s.

What you want from a rim is not only illegal due to no one will engineer a rim with that sort of offset.

The car would be dangerous to drive! You would hit a bump and the it would rip the steering wheel from your hand.

I to am flaring my car but I can't afford the 5k in rims that I want at the moment so I bought some xxr rims for the mean time.

There is a reason you can't get the rims you want .

If you want to do it on the cheap just buy some 4 inch spacers and ruin the way your car drives.

As mentioned previously, you're not going to find wheels in 16x8 with an offset of -50, unless it's custom made. That is ridiculous.

Have you actually looked at prices of Volk or Watanabe wheels? You will find that 8-9.5" wide all cost the same (at least for Watanabe wheels they are) and they don't cost $5000+ (set of 5 custom Rota wheels).

You want to run flares and keep everything legal, fair enough, but wouldn't you exceed the maximum allowable track for the Z with wheels which fill out flares?

I think your best bet at this stage is to buy a set of 16x9 and 9.5 Rotas and call it a day because what you're after isn't available/possible (prove me wrong).

All I'm saying is, I'm after the volk TE37 look. If Rota will make up 5 sets for 4k then i keep one of them and sell the other 4 off, not

really that crazy...

I know that noone makes a rim in 8" with -50 offset, juts wondering if there was some way around the spacer laws (ie. welding or

bolting etc etc.) I know now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after weeks and weeks waiting for an email reply, i gave the rota Australia guys a call and i spoke to a really nice dude that explained it all. The minimum amount of rims needing to be ordered is 40! putting the cost up at the 8k region. TBH if it was 20 I probably would have gone for it! The other problem is that Rota make ZERO 16x9 rims so they don't even have the mould for it, so I'm sunk there too :/

The only other option is to get them made in a 17x9 but i don't think thats entirely desirable (unless i can get 9 other people interested :P)

GAME OVER

blah, except there are NO legal tires for it in the world...

uummm,

Bucketloads of them.

Kumho's, Bridgestones, Yokohamas, Hoosiers, all approved and road legal.

Maybe you should use a different tyre supplier to talk to.

Ask the qustion a bit differently, and accept their recommendations as to sizes and fitments.

" 'scuse me, wot you got to fit a 15x9" rim, widest possible  fitment, and talkest, thanks?"

Answer, " sir, we can supply fit and balance some nice round black goanna squashers in a 225/60x15, or a 235/50x15, they should fill out your flares nicely."

Google up, Hornibrook Motorsport tyres, or Trackside tyres, or Gordon Leven tyres ( qld, vic, nsw guys, who know their sh1t)

I don't mean to come across rude being the young dude and all, but did you know that there are minimum and maximum recommended rim widths for every tire laid out by the manufacturer of the tire? None of them allow up to a 9" tire on a 15" wheel. Why? I don't know. But I've literally searched for hours to find one. These specs (at least in VIC anyway) have to be followed to have your car deemed roadworthy.

I'll give these tire guys you recommend a call, but I'm really not hopeful.

Basically, I just don't want my insurance voided.

If there's a loophole, I'm more than willing to use it (ie. fitting 9" wheels to a Z) but this is pretty black and white.

really????

but you want to increase the track more than 25mm overall?

Lower it beyond 2/3rds suspension travel?

Weld on wheel spacers?

ect ect ect.

im sure as time goes on you'll decide you want to do plenty of things that arent exactly legal, where you may not even know its not roadworthy.

Besides, a cop can and will defect you for anything they want, whether you show its legal or not.

Your insurance company however, will know the rules and will go through them in order to screw you over with a loophole if they can find one.

That may be a bit of an exaggeration, as 95% of the time insurance companies are pretty easy to deal with and will look in your favor as it usually means you'll stay with them as repeat business, meaning they make their money back and more.

I think maybe you are massively over thinking this.

As has been stated else where on the site. The track increase clause can be loopholed by saying that 10" rims were an option for Z's in Japan. (They don't mention anywhere that it has to be an Australian option. The whole idea about getting 9" rims is so i don't have to fit spacers. I will be lowering my car in accordance with the law. I get what you guys are getting at, but never the less, I'd still like something as legit as possible.

The S30's were homologated to run 10" wide rims, with flares, all documents supplied by Nissan, and approved and accepted by the FIA and the JA

Someone on this forum has aluded to this paperwork, in past, being used here in Australia to have their big wide fat wheels approved.

I have stamped approved copies of the FIA/JAF documents that detail the specifications.

They were for 14" diameter rims, but 15" is an accepted diameter increase.

17"s with ultra low profile rubbere is geometrically incorrect for a S30 body/suspension assembly.