gav240z

Safari Brown... I mean Gold - The NSW Project

with lack of fender mirrors and the indicators on the front fenders I would have thought that car was a UK spec - who knows what was going on with shipping and logistics back in the 70's I know a number of the NSW wharf strikes meant car that were destined for AU ended up in NZ - so maybe there was something like that in the UK and AU was wanting more 240z on the first shipment so a UK spec car was also delivered to AU.

Having said that though due to ADR maybe a number of different specs were shipped to AU to see what the ADR required as far as specs were concerned?? Like I said who knows 70's might have been a bit of haze for some.

Nice buy. Looks like all of the hard-to-find parts are there (save the mirrors, wheels & shift knob). Looks in pretty OK shape all around!

Careful of being sucked into the 'while-im-here-i-might-as-well...' trap

who know 70's might have been a bit of haze for some.

Im sure the 70's was quite a haze for a lot of people  ;)

Stoner-Dog-3.jpg

Nice score Gav, I'm sure the neighbours will change their mind once the grinder is going at all hours of the morning lol....

Will look great when you are done.

Leave it that color gav. It's just as rare as the lime yellow

I'm pretty sure Lurch's early girl was originally that colour.

Sequential cars the same colour, is that normal or just a fluke ?

I have photos of another car #151 I think in same colour details to follow shortly. ;)

Don't tell us you also own that one  :o

I wish no I don't own it. It is in very good condition but I will check it is OK to post photos of it here first.

A few more photos I got from Lindsay at Zshop.

2013-12-09

2013-12-09

2013-12-09

2013-12-09

2013-12-09

2013-12-09

2013-12-09

2013-12-09

I'm told it's had a minor tap in the front and rear but nothing serious. As you can see the bonnet is a bit creased. I do have a spare 240 bonnet which is good.

Rusty sills, no surprises there.

Anyone feel sorry for me yet? :).

My goal with this project is to tackle 1 thing at a time. If I let the sum of all things needing work get to me I'll feel defeated so it's a case of small victories to keep me going and motivated.

Lindsay also said it's 1 of the very few cars to have an Australian compliance plate fitted in 1970. Just an interesting factoid.

Anyone feel sorry for me yet? :).

No way. I very nearly bought #86 and that might as well have lived in the sea compared to yours.

It won't be an easy road Gav but you'll have fun along the way and learn a bunch. I'm jealous.

Pretty good shape for an early girl, that rust in the floor isn't that bad, rest of the areas aren't too bad either, nice buy. I reckon keep the color too :)

I reckon condition is pretty similar to mine looking at the photos. Not too bad really, just all the normal stuff!

So just to clarify....Lindsay was the seller?

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. I'm going to say I'm definitely jumping in the deep end, but the only way to learn is to just go for it, if I stuff it up I can call Lurch on speed dial lol...

I don't think I can make the rust any worse and it's previous owners have allowed it to sit and wallow for the past several years so whatever I do can only be a positive thing for it I think.

As I said to my mum (who doesn't mind me having the other 240z sit in her garage in Melbourne) it's better to buy 1 like this and know where the rust was, than to buy what seems like a great car for 20-35K and find out it's full of rust and bog anyway, just under a nice coat of paint.

@KatoKid - No LIndsay wasn't the seller. It was a previous customers car which they asked Lindsay to sell on their behalf. Hence it was in his workshop for a while.

Hi Guys,

So Lindsay from Zshop has kindly allowed me to share these photos with you all. This is the sister car to HS30 00150, it's chassis is HS30 00151. Which is also in Safari Gold.

2013-12-09

2013-12-09

P90133581.jpg

P90133641.jpg

P90133691.jpg

2013-12-09

2013-12-09

Note: Spare wheel date stamp.

P90133681.jpg

So Lurch's car HS30 00149, my car HS30 00150 and it's sister car HS30 00151 were all Safari Gold.

Which I thought you would be interested to know.

He also informs me that Lurch's car was owned by an old accountant who used to live in Prahran and there is lots of work that was done on that car at Zshop back in the day.

He also mentioned that #151 It is the straightest cleanest most original 240Z we see through the shop.

He also informs me that Lurch's car was owned by an old accountant who used to live in Prahran and there is lots of work that was done on that car at Zshop back in the day.

First part is true. The only thing Harry had the Zed shop do was supply & install a reco'd 71b gearbox.

Gordon Dobie was the man who performed all the work on my 'Early Girl' :)

/End thread hijack

No doubt, all the good cars seem to originate in Vic!

Did 151 sell at the Shannons auction, do we know where it is now?

Peter any idea how long ago 151 sold for 17.5K? Seems like an absolute steal at that price.

That's what I was thinking. If it's very recent I will tear what's left of my hair out.

Awww it was a few years and values have started to creep up lately but still a great buy. I have to admit I don't check Shannon's that often, perhaps I should make it a more regular site to check for Zeds.

Interesting that although it is the very next car the engine numbers are over 170 apart.