Safari Brown... I mean Gold - The NSW Project

gav240z

Engine bit is easy really. LHD and RHD cars all needing L24 engine plus don't forget other saloon type cars that were using the L24 at the same time. Engines made in one plant cars in another and only coming coming together at the end of the assembly line allowing other L24 to go into different shells.

Have to admit to liking safari gold too what sealed the deal for me was seeing Alan's Z432-R replica project back some 5 or 8 years ago now it has gone quick either way.

About chassis numbers, body colour and engine numbers:

Cars went down the 'line' at Hiratsuka ( bare bodyshell assembly welded together, and then through the paintshop ) in sequential order at the start by default, because the chassis prefix and body serial number was engraved on the firewall on the line. Nissan Shatai had a rather unwieldy machine that lined itself up on the firewall of a bare bodyshell and the ( correct! ) chassis number was manually indexed into the settings on the machine. It then applied the inputted 'VIN' number to the firewall sheetmetal via an engraving tip. It wasn't stamped...

So, you'd have seen batches of cars going down the various tracks and production lines in the factory in sequential or close-to sequential body-numbered groups according to type and/or market. When they were painted, it made economic and time/motion sense to paint groups of cars in the same colour. This explains why you will often notice cars that are close in chassis number ( where similar model/market variant ) and production date ( where different model/market variant ) are the same body colour. Apparently the painting could be in batches of several hundred cars at a time, but the variant/market type could be mixed. Close to HS30-00149, HS30-00150 & HS30-00151 and their siblings you would probably have found a large group of HLS30-prefixed bodies, a few S30-prefixed bodies and possibly even the odd PS30-prefixed body going through the paintshop. Further down the line they might get a bit more mixed up, especially if there were any parts supply snags or QC problems to correct.

Engines blocks were numbered sequentially by type, but not necessarily built up in sequential order or installed in bodies in sequential order. First process was the casting of the engine blocks ( there's a date code cast into each individual block on the inlet side ) and the engine ( block ) number wasn't stamped onto the block pad until after a lot of machine work and assembly work was done. There would have been some natural jumbling up of engine numbers through the engine assembly process, so we will see that when we compare chassis numbers and engine numbers on different cars, but some rough semblance of order might inevitably be seen simply because there was a natural limit to how many engines would be 'on the go' at any one time.....

The engine bay tags didn't get stamped up with the chassis number and engine number until the bodies - with engines installed -  were further down towards the end of the production line. Some markets / variants didn't get the engine number stamped on the engine bay tag at all of course. 

Hope that gives at least some insight on the phenomenon.

Cheers,

Alan T.         

• Administrators

Alan I was wondering when this thread might get your attention, I'm glad you responded - always something of value. I'm not so glad that I never visited you or saw your cars when I was in that part of the world. What a shame, would have loved to have seen the C10, PS30 replica and HS30-H cars.

Mind you my original plan was to take the FD RX-7 on a road trip across Europe and in particular the UK and Scotland but as fate would have it the car was stolen and damaged and it took me a year to finally get it back on the road. I was going to try and make it to Goodwood in it as I know you usually attend with the cars.

I have to visit that part of the world again sometime in the not too distant future. Anyway I digress.

How far off is your PS30 replica now? It looks almost complete to me. I have to admit when this car came up I was thinking about your build and the other cars I mentioned earlier in this thread as inspiration for the build direction.

I'm not expecting to be at the standard your car is, in less time than you've taken with your car mind you, but here's hoping to a good Irish tax return, I've been spending far too much money in the last few months. ;)

How far off is your PS30 replica now? It looks almost complete to me. I have to admit when this car came up I was thinking about your build and the other cars I mentioned earlier in this thread as inspiration for the build direction.

Hi Gav,

Well, in terms of parts needed it's not far off. In terms of time dedicated to actually put it together properly, well....

I might actually have it up and running next year ( famous last words ) but other stuff has been getting in the way all the way through the project. Many times I've just simply lost my mojo with it, or had my attention taken by other things. It comes back now and then though! I've just come back from Japan with a different exhaust manifold for it ( a genuine and super rare original Nissan 'Sports Option' item for the 432R ) which I'm very happy with, and that might give me a bit of a boost. Before I went to Japan I ( finally ) managed to get the 100 litre fuel tank installed. Getting that made - and made as I wanted it - was a real saga. The car is actually a lot more complete now than it was in the above photos, and really only some fuel plumbing, system electricals and detail stuff to do. That's the kind of thing that tends to take ages to get done though.

You are - of course - welcome to visit any time, as long as I'm around. Would be a pleasure to show you the cars. Don't expect too much! I'm not interested in concours quality for myself. I'm sure the cars don't look as good in the metal as they might in the photos.

I think there's a real lot of work to be done on your car, but it's a great base to work on and it hasn't been messed about with too much by the looks of it. Do it nicely and the car will reward you long term. We sometimes talk about market values and all that and it can be a tricky subject. I don't really think of any of my cars as 'investments' ( that's not why I do it ) but - all things being equal - most of the time and money that you pump into your car should result in something that is an appreciable and worthwhile asset. Early HS30s are very thin on the ground, and there can't be too many such projects left to come out of the woodwork. Well done for taking the leap! You should not regret it.

If you think I can help - in any way - please don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck!         

• Administrators

Thanks Alan, yes my heart said yes before my head could stop me bidding on it. I don't regret it and I'm sure I have a long journey. I don't think of any of my cars as investments although it can be hard to justify spending money on them at times. Non car people just don't get it, but my passion for these cars has only increased as the years have gone by, it's weird because I've tried to venture out many times - nearly bought an MX-5 project, but for me the experience the 240z gives you in terms of it's raw driving pleasure simply cannot be beat.

I had a lot of regret after selling my first 73 240z I had stripped it down, but given up when I found my other 72 240z. The regret was not giving it a go (welding and rust repair etc..) this time I'm determined to give it a crack and see how it turns out. It is only metal after all (to quote member Ledge on here).

I'm actually also really grateful to have an understanding partner and my mum and step dad (really in the last few years with him) who are supportive of my passion and my mum doesn't mind that I've had a car sitting in her garage for 6+ years now. So I count myself lucky like that.

Mind you if I didn't have some control I probably would have bought far too many Z's by now.

Sorry to hijack Gav but this is a fantastic thread. As "the" webmaster it is fitting that you have bought this car.

Input from Alan and Mike adds considerably to the significance.

920 difficult to photograph...couldn't agree more!

Gav you did the right thing not taking on a MX5 project - don't get me wrong they are great little car and have a good following but.....

When I first took my zed of the road (all those years ago now - closer to 2 decades than anything else) I still wanted something sporty to drive on the roads. I took a MX5 for drive - what a disappointment. Sure it handled great and better than a stock zed out of the box...but were was the go, that feel through the seat as you hit the gas pedal. It just did not have the character of a zed. So I purchased another zed enough said.

Again right move Gav - there are few cars that I wished I had kept - all my zed's + the Datsun 160Jsss that I had (710 model)

• Administrators

Quick question regarding transfer of ownership of a car that obviously hasn't been on the road for a long time. Is unregistered etc..

What documents do I need to ask the seller for?

I was reading this:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/registration/getnewrego/proofofentitlement.html

Can I get the seller to write up a receipt that says I purchased the car for $X amount of dollars on X date, which also mentions make / model along with chassis and engine number and have him sign it? Is there any other documents or information you guys would get from the seller?

Is there an official form I should get the seller to fill out and post out to me?

• Moderators

Hi Gav

Ideally a copy of the previous rego papers, the RMS will be much easier to deal with if you have proof of previous registration.

You have the rego labels & plates and that is great help.

But  you will get it through if you have a simple receipt from the seller showing

Seller name & address

Your name and address

Vin #

Eng #

Date of sale

Sale price

and most importantly

The right attitude.  ;)

When does she get to Sydney, really keen to have a look.

Cheers

PB

• Administrators

It's been delayed a couple of days, so I don't think before the weekend. I'd say most likely early next week. I'll let you know when I know more.

Here is some inspiration in the interim ;).

Nissan-Fairlady-Z-orange-1024x640.jpg

I also have 1 of these Nissan valve covers at home (in Melbourne).

may8.jpg

So I'm thinking I'll either colour code it red (like above) or black to give it a look like an S20 valve cover.

As seen here (black):

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/npnp35/8093303.html (Which looks like Alan's car.)

and here (red)

632-1_000056-8.jpg

Also came across this old photo

fairlady-z432-race-20120617.jpg

Which just add a bit more inspiration in terms of the look and feel of the build ;).

Hey Gav you shouldn't need any major paperwork to get her rego'd.

My old girl didn't have rego for at least 15 years, and the bloke i bought it off, Issac, bought it off some old boy in Canberra, it didn't have rego then either.

All i did was get a blue slip, green slip and printed out a bill of sale, with all his details, including sale date and price, i also did a revs check on the chassis and printed that document out and took it with me to prove the car wasn't stolen. Had no Drama at the RTA.... except when we had to push start it out of the car park after bolting on the new plates because none of the electrics worked and the alternator was fried.... =/

Rudolf.

• Administrators

Very cool colour Gav, i nearly went safari gold on mine and sometimes wish i did.

What colour was your car originally? I love the Kalahari Tan Orange you have I wouldn't change a thing on it. Wheels look superb also.

Good Luck with the new arrival .It's great to see another zed in the 920 Gold club. I will be keeping a close eye on your thread. Lets hope you can get some time over Xmas to make a start.

I'll be in Melbourne around Christmas but I plan to check out the L24 I have in the garage and see if she spins freely. If so I'll freight it up to NSW with me and slot her into this car.

But yes I want to start working on it, anything that doesn't require immediately spending gobs of money anyway. I might round up some old bits and pieces to sell on to help get things started also. May also sell some FD RX-7 parts although would rather not...if I can avoid it.

@Rudolf - good to know I'll call the seller and ask him for those details.

Mine was originally white Gav (then red) but i went with porsche signal orange from the 70's, z colours 920 and 918 were very close to being chosen.

Safari gold with some 14 or 15in wats would look mint, I know its the done thing but who cares it works!  ;D

• Administrators

Yes flares are coming, along with a Leyland / Rover V8, whale tail and Panterra hatch conversion.

On a slightly different topic what colour is this car?

http://www.7tune.com/feature-the-fairlady-zed-432r/

I am guessing Kalahari Tan Orange, but the lighting makes it looks almost Safari Gold.