Fashion Cycles

George

Quoted from another thread:

16" or 17"Watanabes (or similar), with ZG flares, L28ET or LSx swap, MSA type 1, 240Z bumpers, BRE style wing, Toyota front brakes or Willwood (AZC), 280ZX rear disc conversion or Wilwood (AZC), R200 with Z31 CV conversion, on coil overs.

Honestly, I don't see a whole lot of variety when it comes to how these cars are modified. Sure there is the occasional exception, but for the most part if they aren't stock you can bet there is a majority of common recipe parts involved.

I was talking to the other half about this last night. It was a one way conversation so let's say I was thinking out loud.

Let's leave the mechanical stuff aside for the sake of this topic and concentrate on the body aesthetics.

The most common mod is guards with contrast flares and wide rubber stretch-fitted on a deep dish rim. Most likely lowered for that coveted stance look. Dare we add an oil cooler with externally protruding plumbing like a wounded soldier with his guts hanging out? You've come this far so fender mirrors are absolutely necessary now. We also can't forget to add the 3 piece rear wing and a front bar that scrapes on every speed hump.

Just like that we have a 'unique' but same-same look. You're sure to stand out from the crowd as long as there are no other Z's around.

I'm not having a go at those that mod their cars. Hell, I'm not one to speak against mods with my car history. In fact if I had the cash I would be driving said unique car every weekend.

What I'm curious about is fashion cycles. Specifically, how long do you think this one will last and more interestingly, what does the fashion conscious Z look like 5 years from now? Will the flares still grace our guards and the 3 piece wings still keep our cars grounded? Will more plumbing spill out or will our cars age more gracefully and with some dignity pull up their socks and tuck in their shirts?

• Moderators

What I'm curious about is fashion cycles. Specifically, how long do you think this one will last and more interestingly, what does the fashion conscious Z look like 5 years from now? Will the flares still grace our guards and the 3 piece wings still keep our cars grounded? Will more plumbing spill out or will our cars age more gracefully and with some dignity pull up their socks and tuck in their shirts?

I suspect that originality will come into play more, albeit with subtle mechanical improvements.

just my 2 cents worth.

It's funny, the whole 'flares with big wheels and a big air dam' style definitely appears to be the dominant way of modding a Z when it comes to online builds but at last weekend's classic Japan day, I don't recall seeing one Z with flares!

I think - Stick to what the japanese are doing.

From what i can tell there appears to be roughly 4 widely accepted and tasteful body types at play that are long term acceptable;

full stock/steelies hub caps/full original

G-nose/flares

stock body/flares/fibreglass or poly front spoiler

stock body/fibreglass-or poly front spoiler

in each case chrome bumpers and rubbers (ignoring g-nose); chrome trim where it always was (doors/windscreen/hatch). Mirrors dont matter as long as they are period (unless you are moving them to the guards). And dont move them to the guards unless you really want to. There is nothing wrong with embracing the way it was delivered to AU dealers. 

Wheels wise each for each of the above combos watanabe have recommened rim sizes for;  it seems 14" is slowly getting abandoned for 15" in japan (and worldwide) due to rubber costs and lack of sizes and makers; With the exception of flared zeds, 16/17 inch wheels longer term are likely to be less desirable in terms of originality/look. As for wings; i dare say they wont hinder things but they wont be ultimtely desirable long term.

Mechanically - In Japan RB conversions are actually well regarded for S30s; they are really not seen as a bad thing. so people need not be scared of them other than the power/weight they produce.

But really. its your car. do what you want. If you dont know what you want; do as the japanese do. I never did too much in the way of mos but always though if it's a modification make sure it looks like it belongs there.

• Administrators

Quoted from another thread:

I was talking to the other half about this last night. It was a one way conversation so let's say I was thinking out loud.

This made me LOL, I know the feeling.

Let's leave the mechanical stuff aside for the sake of this topic and concentrate on the body aesthetics.

The most common mod is guards with contrast flares and wide rubber stretch-fitted on a deep dish rim. Most likely lowered for that coveted stance look. Dare we add an oil cooler with externally protruding plumbing like a wounded soldier with his guts hanging out? You've come this far so fender mirrors are absolutely necessary now. We also can't forget to add the 3 piece rear wing and a front bar that scrapes on every speed hump.

Just like that we have a 'unique' but same-same look. You're sure to stand out from the crowd as long as there are no other Z's around.

I'm not having a go at those that mod their cars. Hell, I'm not one to speak against mods with my car history. In fact if I had the cash I would be driving said unique car every weekend.

George this is why I haven't taken to a grinder on my guards yet. Before Sulio stuck the flares on his car, http://www.viczcar.com/member-rides/sulios-1974-datsun-260z

I created this photoshop rendition of what I was thinking of doing to my own Z.

http://www.viczcar.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=38

Sulio said he was gonna do it and bought the flares, wheels etc.. I remember seeing it in person down at the docklands.

http://www.viczcar.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=47

I thought it looked really cool, because back then nobody had really done it in Australia. Weather or not Sulio was influenced by my photoshop mock or not is irrelevant as I was influenced by seeing the Japanese Market Cars.

I think it's definitely a classic combination, but perhaps getting a little over done now? Kind of like seeing Eleanor replicas from Gone in 60 seconds. I don't think it will go 'out of fashion' but I do think it will be a bit more mainstream. Not that it's a bad thing, some days I would love to run the massive flares, ZG nose etc.. Other days I want to retain the AU market look. I guess you could say this is why I bought any wheels yet. I still can't bring myself to chop those guards, I worry I'll have regrets later, but everything is of course able to be reversed so perhaps I'm just a big girl?

Here are some examples of what I've thought about on and off.

Molded Flares

00r31f10rw1.jpg

1978_datsun_280z-pic-62026.jpeg

I even said I like em' in 2009 ;)

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,658.msg32414.html#msg32414

I just love this Z and I don't think it would ever look old. The flares are just so.. good.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2008/06/car_feature_gt_gt_battle_s30z/

If I go ZG look like this ;)

normal_no01~0.jpg

Most likely I'll pump the money into an engine build first though.

• Administrators

I suspect that originality will come into play more, albeit with subtle mechanical improvements.

just my 2 cents worth.

As more and more cars disappear from the roads or get modified with flares etc.. there will be more people wanting originality, so yes I agree.

I feel like the flared look is too common now, specially with the number of other cars using zed flares or similar. I'd love to get a pair of works flares but feel its a bit too much without the power to match.

I was concerned about cutting my guards but figured its a 260z so no one really cares, and if i get sick of the look its an opportunity to do some nice moulded metal flares similar to a stock m3, like

N-Style-AE86-26-800x533.jpg

LOL, started a thread without trying. :D

Some very good points in here.

Don't take what I said as being snide or anything like that, I do like the look of many S30s with ZG flares and wheel and tire combos that fill them out, they just seem to be getting quite common as the "go to" look. I have thought about putting ZG flares on my car more than once, but I just love the stock fender look. I plan on wide rubber, without the flares.

I forgot about the fender mirrors though.  ???

• Administrators

I just love the stock look also.

WyGuNSg.jpg

Or period correct / optional sports catalogue parts.

1970_Datsun_Z432_Fairlady_S20_Skyline_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg

1970_Datsun_Z432_Fairlady_S20_Skyline_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

1970_Datsun_Z432_Fairlady_S20_Skyline_For_Sale_Interior_resize.jpg

I'm more and more leaning toward the look that Dave Scholz has on his 240z.

But I wouldn't run that front air damn or headlight covers personally. I would like to see it with a 'period correct' air damn and the stainless trimmed headlight covers (albeit they are expensive). I also think subtle customisations that emulate the 60's Ferrari's is what appeals to me a lot.

For example this kind of bonnet pin (or strap in this case), and the duct in the hood.

1962_ferrari_250_gto_%233647gt_bonnet_clasps.jpg

Or the fluted bonnet similar to the E-type

1962_ferrari_250_gto_%233729gt_bonnet_vents.jpg

The previous owner of my 240z had done this. (You can just make them out)

1316gavin240z4.jpg

Don't ask me why he put 200B mirrors on it though *so much yuck!*

But someone tapped the front of the bonnet when it was parked and I had to replace it because it had bowed and I couldn't find a good 240z one at the time, I've never felt like the later 260z fluted bonnet I replaced it with worked as well aesthetically.

I was also considering powder coating or ceramic coating the rear exhausts to make them yellow, white or leave them black?

1316Gav240z21.JPG

I've always felt like driving an old Z is as close to the experience I can get as a 60's era Ferrari.

Ferrari+250+GTO+.jpg

The reason I say all this, is that I think there is nothing wrong with customisation, but for me I want to go with stuff that suits the era or time period the car came from or out of. Rather than trying to keep up with modern styles / trends.

• Moderators

As more and more cars disappear from the roads or get modified with flares etc.. there will be more people wanting originality, so yes I agree.

This is what has happened with Aussie Muscle cars, but at the end of the day we should build the car WE want and to hell with being trendy.

Those of you who have met me will know I don't give a rats about what is trendy, that is unless redback work boots are trendy  ;).

A dark part of me wants to molest a 240z, paint it glossy blood red, full Works Type-B kit. Tub the rear and fit 15x12j -53 Watanabes, kit it out with some Works/Z432-R inspired replica extras. RB30DE...

Another part of me is pretty into what Magnus Walker does with 911's. Period, kinda subtle hot-rod style mods. Drilled handles, added lightness, louvred lexan 1/4 windows, chunky rubber. Custom door-cards with leather pull-straps instead of any armrests or handles, just nice touches.

The rest of me likes rock stockers. I have that 'Fine tuned thoroughbred' ad cut out of an old magazine hanging on the wall for some inspiration on my rusty red zed.

In my opinion i think it is because of our age now. Back in the day when we were all to poor to do anything with our zeds all the cars we would fap over were the jdm ones of that era. So now we are getting to that age age where we can afford to have that car. This has been the norm in japan for the last 20 odd years so i don't really think it's a fad, its just a way to modify it to make it better.

Hrmm.... External Oil coolers.... Im guessing your referring to "Fonzy" George?

I Don't think Bosozoku styling is the next trend, god, i hope its not, i think you either love it or hate it. Personally, not my thing.

For the uneducated:

1szx.jpg

iwl0.jpg

But its still better than the autosalon specials from the late 90's!

And it could be worse, we are tame compared to how the young whipper snappers mod their cars is Japan! Bosozoku to the max!!:

rctw.jpg

2k7a.jpg

But you know, its not just us, whenever you see any form of mazda RX2 or RX3, any VL in show condition grace the car magazines, they are all running Simmons wheels, Safe bet they are FR17's too. For once id love to see a RX2 or RX3 running wats.

I don't know, over on the Silvia Forums everyone is into being slammed and stanced, Running Work or Volk rims, or Rays, its all about CE28N or  usually drift teks because everyone is cheap. To me, i hate it, i like to be able to go over speed humps at normal speeds. Ill stick to my old school cool Buddyclub P1's thanks.

• Administrators

It might be an interesting exercise to compile photos of cars that represent different era's of cars and car modifications.

For example starting with 70s era 240z/260z's and the customisations owners would have done back then, then moving in the 80s and 90s and then 00s. What are the trademark features or attributes that define a specific era of car culture?

A dark part of me wants to molest a 240z, paint it glossy blood red, full Works Type-B kit. Tub the rear and fit 15x12j -53 Watanabes, kit it out with some Works/Z432-R inspired replica extras. RB30DE...

Another part of me is pretty into what Magnus Walker does with 911's. Period, kinda subtle hot-rod style mods. Drilled handles, added lightness, louvred lexan 1/4 windows, chunky rubber. Custom door-cards with leather pull-straps instead of any armrests or handles, just nice touches.

The rest of me likes rock stockers. I have that 'Fine tuned thoroughbred' ad cut out of an old magazine hanging on the wall for some inspiration on my rusty red zed.

I like the subtle mods Magnus does too. I'll be fitting leather pull straps shortly, they look cool but the big thing I'm finding without the armrests ATM is I have a heap more elbow room! I looked into the vented lexan 1/4 windows from fourways engineering in the UK but I wasn't completely certain I wanted the car open to the elements all the time.

WOW, that GTO  8)