QLD LAPZ 2014

be-zed

Another Lapz event (speed event)will be held at Lakeside Park QLD on the 17TH May 2014. The formate of the event has not been finalized ,but will be soon .This is an opportunity to put forward any ideas for a programme for the day . Last time we had over 40 ZEDS to the event and 30 other Nissan datsuns . We want to beat that this time round.

Aubrey, just set it up in such a way that red tape does not get in the way.

None of this "special event membership" requirements to participate.

Make it as easy and as simple as possible for potential interested enthusiasts, who just want have a little bit of a gentle play, with other like minded owners , all together.

Sure have a group for the die-hard gung-ho racers amongst us, but run a KISS group, without club politechnickery.

Will i be there?

If I can still see, i will be.

As a die-hard gung-hoe slart.

Group the similar cars etc etc,

But,

Have a seperate group for the forum guys, the ones that may just like to have a bit of a play.

For one day.

To be asked "what lap times do you do?" can welll get a stuff you retort, and you lose someone.

Maybe a suggestion of someone who knows a bit, sitting alongside a driver, been done before, the QR run "Breakfast" sessions  are sort of ok, but then a newbie is left to fend for themselves with a pack.

John Fraser's old setup was good, Aubrey will recall how these worked, maybe something similar?

There are planning difficulties with this event and they not related with anything in my primary posting. I am hopefull they can be resolved and soon.Anyone who has organised an event like this knows that there can be teething problems

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to say that this event is now up and running . It was a bit like a Z, need two turns of the key to get it started.

So as per last full day event held in 2011 this event will start with a happy laps breakfast. Which is a buffet followed with half hour track time at highway speeds behind a pace car . You are allowed to take passengers with you on to the track and you only need a civil license for this event or learners permit. This part of the day is separate from the main day and will have its own cost.

The main part of the day will be skill and speed events and as such the cost of entry has gone up from the last event held in 2011. You can expect that increase to be around 30%. As per last event there will be no trophies or placings . But there will be timing of cars in a number of different events so  you don't need a fast car to do well (but it helps) on the day.  I am now in the process of putting together a program and entry forms including license forms as this is a AASA event. This should be done by mid January and down loadable from the ZCCQ web site and Queensland raceways web site.

The clip is from the 2010 event

Now don't you get involved you young whippersnapper you!

Something about past events costing a fair bit to hire track, low number of entries, and not wanting to take a small loss on the day?

Aubrey,

As you get cliser, and iron out what the day entails, please let us know!

I take it it isn't 15 cars at a time, out for 15-20 minutes doing sprint laps?

Can we set up a grid, as rolling start, and run a full on door to door five lapper?????

Promise to go gentle!

No: that is a fair comment locky .

I would say they are as competitive as the next person . You only have to look at Morgan Park results to see that . But some of us (me included) are a little gun shire of flag to flag .But that's not all of us.So as this is a ZCCQ organised event they may be open to what Jason sudjested and I am looking into its possibility.

But primarily the day will be geared to suit most people . You will go home having had your fill of track time.If it is rained out we should be offered an other day and I am sure any interstaters that would want to leave their car with ZCCQ or AUSZCAR members fly home and then fly back for the offered day would be welcomed to do so. At this point I can promise you this, that a full day at Lakeside run by TIME ATTACK is $300 per car. Entry fee for LAPZ will be well below that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Let me know Aub on which forums you are going to post the details. I'll fill in if there are any which I can do. Forum coverage is the secret to getting the numbers, as we have seen in the past, should be a day to remember. Even if it not real hard core pro door bangin full on racin like the hysterics do ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Entries will be open on the 1st March and this is a day long event. But be quick as entries will be limited for both the speed events and Happy Laps event.Anyone from here who entered the 2011 event will know what it is like . This year will have a few speciality events included.

17 MAY IS THE DAY.

• 3 weeks later...

It's on again LapZ at Lakeside the ZCCQ is hosting this event as one of our RoadZ to the Nationals events

as lead up to NDN15, sponsored by MotorActive - Meguirs : Liquid Moly ; House of Kolor ; Love of Cars ; MotoEx .

Full Day of driver skill and Sprint Event to be held at Lakeside Raceway on May 17

Entry is open to all with the event structured for Novices to Experienced Drivers. Track Licenses available if required. Road Registered and Un Registered (Track) Cars can compete.

Multi Event Format means entry is limited to 60 Cars, Entry closes on the 9th May if not fully subscribed before.

Happy Lapz and Breakfast is held prior and separate to the speed and skill events so anyone who does not wish to compete can still come along and enjoy themselves with a cruise of LAKESIDE RACEWAY prior to the main event..

Entry Forms and All Information including a Self Scrutineering Guide is available for download at

http://www.zcarclubq.org.au/events/2014/lapz-at-lakeside-2014.html

Entry Forms and payments are to be sent in to the Z Car Club Q, Not QR

The ZCCQ is trying to organize a car preparation workshop day a couple of weekends before LapZ for participants . Information will be posted as it comes to hand.

40066_ddbe3d41559440bf9bd8a2e2caee94f0c0290bf7.pdf

Aub, a couple of questions:

1. Are other cars eligible? Can I put in an entry and run the 5? and

2. For registered cars is a 3rd party insurance extension required?

On legal advice the mx5 club requires all registered cars to have an extension fir track days no matter where we are running. The HRCC(QLD) also requires this for their events as well.

Could be a busy weekend for me, I may also be out at Morgan Park on the Sunday instructing for a track day.

Yes Matt , you can enter the Mazda .

As far as the extension goes .That is a cams requirement(QLD reg cars only if I remember) for when you leave the main road and cross on to private property before entering the pit area. It is a sound practise but not required for this event. Having said that if you feel you need to get one I would.