Guess that size? Watanabe Type R wheels.

gav240z

• Administrators

Hi Guys,

This S31 Z has the perfect looking combo of wheel set up under stock guards. Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to their size and offset etc..?

• Administrators

Just realised we've been here before.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7070.msg66141.html#msg66141

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=5488.0

Found this also:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-s30/18850-all-watanabes-mounted-new-pics-inside.html

But they look a bit bigger at the rear.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-s30/18850-all-watanabes-mounted-new-pics-inside.html#post145476

My pick is 16x8.5 - 6 front and 16x9 -13 on the rear with 225/45/16 rubber on all 4 corners.

Based on above links, I think this is the size I'd want.

Why the desire for 16 inch diam rims?

Hard to get decent rubber, and the rubbere you can get is pricey!

Yes will clear calipers on oh so sexay big brake setups.

The low profile sidewall on a 40-45 series, gives a harsh ride too!

Want neg 13?

Want Watanabe Rtype?

Want better choice of rubber?

Go for a 15x9 in neg 13,

Easy enough to machine up to 6 mm off mount face to give neg 7!

I have 3 sets, brand new, in box, here in Brisbane, ready to freight

At $1200 a set, thay are perfect R type copes, they just dont have the 3w's logo!

OR

For genuine, 3W's i have a set of 14x9 & 14x8, that can be prised from my clutching fingers!

The pic above has 15x8 +10 running 235/50/15. The Toyo R888 235/50/15 are as wide as a 245/45/16 ;) and like Jason states these would go perfectly on a 15x9. If you have seen my old red 240z when I first go it that had 16x9 -6.9mm on them so doing as Jason has pointed out will give the same offset and with the 235/50/15 Toyo it would be a great setup ;)

It is just as shame no one make the 245/50/15 anymore :(

• Administrators

Why the desire for 16 inch diam rims?

Mainly because I like the way 16" looks on that S30z posted in the video above.

Hard to get decent rubber, and the rubbere you can get is pricey!

Yes will clear calipers on oh so sexay big brake setups.

This was another reason, if I wanted to run 300zx front spot calipers or wilwoods I don't think they will fit under a 15" wheel.

Want neg 13?

Want Watanabe Rtype?

Want better choice of rubber?

Go for a 15x9 in neg 13,

Easy enough to machine up to 6 mm off mount face to give neg 7!

I have 3 sets, brand new, in box, here in Brisbane, ready to freight

At $1200 a set, thay are perfect R type copes, they just dont have the 3w's logo!

OR

For genuine, 3W's i have a set of 14x9 & 14x8, that can be prised from my clutching fingers!

What colour are the Atara racing ones you have? Flat black, polished?

In terms of quality difference between the genuine Wat's and Atara wheels, what's your opinion?

Gav, they are in Gunmetal finish, have thrown some on a car that had 280 mm diam rotors with Willwoods, that had 15" Superlites on it, they cleared fine.

As are Hilux calipers.

R32/300ZX type four piston calipers WILL be an issue! Unless you run dogbones and a rotor closer to std size.

The caliper bolt mount spacing is wider, and o/all thickness of the caliper can foul the inner rim diam.

These replicas are load rated at 650 kg each, the casting thicknesses are a bit more compared to proper Wata's.

They do not have the raised 3W's embossed, the guy that gets these made does not refer to them as Wata's, but a Malay word "Pisang" the other rim he gets made is called "Ghenki"(?) another knock off.

Depending on RIM design and rotor/caliper location you can get wilwood 12.2" rotors in a 15" RIM that is what the car above in the pic has under those 15" rims. But I know that the 300zx caliper are too tall on a 12.2 and a 11.75 to fit in the same rims so caliper design/size comes into play also.

• Administrators

Problem with Wildwood is dust boots or so I've heard. So not sure they would Eng approval on a road car.

What other brake upgrades are available?

Hi Gav,

You are right it does look good from side on, but, would these pass the yearly rego check required in Sydney? By the looks of the video the rims stick way out past the edge of the guard, yes the top of the tyre may be inside the guard, but that's only because the tyre is stretched to buggery. In my view the car looks out of whack from the front or rear with the rim being so far outside the line of the guard. I agree deep dish looks great, but I just dont see how anything wider than maybe 7.5" with a + 6mm offset will fit, with standard spring perches of course.

Billy

Problem with Wildwood is dust boots or so I've heard. So not sure they would Eng approval on a road car.

What other brake upgrades are available?

you can get radial mounted wilwoods with dust boots I know as I imported some.

Now sold to the guy you purchased my old red 240z that had 16x9 - 7 with 225/45/16 on when I got it with stock guards and struts no issues at all.