Charlie's rb260Z PROJECT

charleszed

Hey guys,

i got the bug when i caught up with some family for a wedding and my uncle started showing me this car he bought and fixed up. it was a early 240z.

it all started from there, non stop researching and scanning all soughts of sites to find the dream project car.

one night i was flicking through carsales and a 1975 Datsun 260z 2 seater popped up for sale in Melbourne  i couldn't call him quick enough and i laid down a deposit and shipped it up to Brisbane Queensland.

So the project begins....

plans for the car.

i want to spend a lot of time getting this thing in perfect condition so i have planned to strip it down put it on a rotisserie cut out rust and rebuild.

i am going to swap the old L26 and replace with a

RB 26dett.

do all the necessary upgrades:

suspension

brakes

diff?

fuel....

the list goes on......

and all the other fun stuff that goes with it.

so i am writing up this post for information and heaps of helpful knowledge which is needed for a rookie like me.

i am a builder so i am pretty handy, but this car stuff is a whole different ball game.

here are a few pics of my progress so far.

i have a 2 year goal so kick me in the ass if i start getting slack!!! :D

i will update as quick as the cashflow allows.

its looking pretty healthy at the moment soooo they should be kinda regular.

• Moderators

Welcome and good luck on the build..you should be able to find all the info you need here. Any reason for the 26? the 25's are nice and plentiful with many good go fast bits available..

Also, post some pics and keep 'em rolling in!

Hey Zedman,

Im not sure really i have seen a few builds with the 26 motor and i have just decided thats the way im heading,i got the mounts so i suppose its locked in!

i have changed my mind from the LS1 which was my first idea...!!

still trying to work out this forum (uploading photos)

there will be plenty of them!!

Hey Peter,

I spose the 2 year goal is a very rough estimate,i would like the car running put it that way, these soughts of builds never end...... always wanting more and more

Im on the northside of Brisbane

Bellmere.

i got some photos of my progress in the last few weeks.

i got the car stripped down and have had every nut and bolt put in a container marked where it came from!!!

easy to pull apart. i imagine difficult to put back together!!!

If i am to take this seriously i decided to get some steel and make a BASIC rotisserie.

It worked well and now i can start to attack the rust in this beast!!

more photos to come!!

post-6481-144023727373_thumb.jpg

post-6481-144023727378_thumb.jpg

post-6481-144023727383_thumb.jpg

The axis of rotation is 75mm above the bumper mounting holes, if you do that you can rotate them with one hand.

Do yourself a favour and don't hand strip the paint, have it blasted and etch primed.  You will need to remove the interior soundproofing beforehand.

Two years is plenty of time to have it finished.

• 2 months later...

So its been a while since i have updated my build

because it has been crazy busy at work,

and by the time i get to the Z i am pretty well stuffed and dont have energy to update my thread....

But i have done heaps of things to the car.

after stripping it down to the shell i decided to get it blasted because i am lazzzyyyyy!!!

i had the car media blasted (glass bead)

it was relatively cheap and got the car all prepped for the task of rust fixing!!!!!

i mean i went over all the visible signs of rust before it was blasted.

cut it all out and re welded new pieces in.

i am no welder or rust repairer in fact only just learn't how to use a Mig welder on the rotisserie :D.

here are a few pics of the car so far.

don't judge to harshly on my repair work im learning !!!! ;)

post-6481-144023734375_thumb.jpg

post-6481-144023734379_thumb.jpg

post-6481-144023734381_thumb.jpg

post-6481-144023734384_thumb.jpg

Now its time to get these flares and install them i have been freaking out about cutting into these perfect guards.

sooo after a lot of research and flicking through various threads and watching youtube i decided to get it happening.

i ordered carbon fibre flares from topstage motorsports and i must admit the service wasnt too flash it took nearly 6 weeks to get them and when they arrived they had cracks in them and where fairly scratched so i couldnt use them. :(

i tried to get them returned and new ones sent but apparently it wasnt possible.not too happy bout that.

i got some fibreglass flares off ebay and im good to go. ill just paint them a carbon colour.

first step was marking them out taping the on.... staring at them for ages.... slightly adjusting checking my measurements countless times...

start cutting!!!

:D

post-6481-144023734556_thumb.jpg

post-6481-144023734562_thumb.jpg

post-6481-144023734572_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey Doug,

i got the media blasting done by clontarf abrasive blasting they use glass beads which dont heat or warp panels.

they did a ok job i was just left with heaps and heaps of sand in all the rails and hard to reach spots.

literally buckets of the stuff. :-\

haha i am no pro when it came to the flares.

it worked a treat though and couldnt be happier with the outcome.