Phillip Island Nasty Crash Corvette v Porsche v 280Z

dat2kman

Note, edited

Outside views:

and from the other side of the track

dat2kman 280Z in car camera ("effin corvette")

And in car footage in order of cars following:

White Porsche "Where's the effin yellow flags ya F@#%"

(you can tell its a porsche by the expensive GPS lap monitoring in car camera gizmo) :

( not the same race, but he wasn't having a good day:

)

Alfa in car camera

Another alfa Car #6

Yet Another Alfa in car camera (from even further back)

damn....

well, if your not prepared to crash your car, dont put it on a track, that said though, allways a shame to see a nice car wrecked.

That white corvette, to me it seemed that there was a lot of tyre smoke on each corner he took?

Too much power? driver trying to smoke it every corner? crappy (or cold) tyres? or just plain bad luck?

How did your car come up? sorta looked like you had a bit of contact there too.

As per Jason's original post on this, the Chev spun on his own oil, clipped the Porsche which hit Jason and then he bounced back into the Chev and then tried some acrobatics, basically a nasty incident that luckily everyone walked away from.

But yeah, want to go racing, be prepared to have your car end up a steaming pile of scrap on the side of the track. I've had this happen twice now through no fault of my own. First was my Turner Sports 1300, broke a suspension link in the front left at about 200km/h going up Bitupave hill at Amaroo, one written off car, got $12 scrap for the body, salvaged some other bits and pieces and gave the chassis away to see it resurrected about five years later it was that bent and broken.

Second one was helped into the fence at Lakeside, no more Zed, but I could quote one of the coolest movie lines ever, "Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead"

Seeing that I'm not a proper racer could someone help and explain the following opening lap things I noticed? Turn 1, no inside pass attempt by the 280Z on the Corvette? What sounded like a big downshift crunch at 1.08? And the open door for the red Porker at that corner?

Corvette 350 cubic inch vs Z 2.8 litre, Z does well just staying with the cubic inch brigade,

Note lighter Pantera's pull away, just, better traction.

Downshift noise = worn 2nd syncchro, meh.

Red Porkerinto turn 4 , Honda, more rim width and rubber, better brakes, Z does well to sit on arse of Porker after.

Note also, 48 car field, Z off grid start in around 9 th outright, with quite a few Porkers just behind, along with a number of Alfa's and the red Ginetta 289 CI that bogged at the start.

Downshift noise = worn 2nd syncchro, meh.

Standard Zed gearbox, I thought 2nd gear synchros were all buggered before they left the factory. Easiest fix, big rev on the downshift and change gears slowly.....

Just saw Luvemfast's comment in the comments box on the youtube vid!

Yes, i must learn to curb my cloourfull, at times language!

I had no idea the Porker was doing multiple flips, as i was going backwards on the grass, it was playing ballerina right behind me.

My expletive was one of realisation that i may have to start next race from rear of grid, but no, it was a "cancelled" event, and prior grid pisitions stood.

Thanks to the help from Lurch, Peter Mc and my bikini girls, ( yes, i have them, dont all race drivers ! ), i got through the weekend.

Lurch, whilst up here recently waved his fingers of the damage to the front right corner on the car, all good now, except we got the paint colour "slightly" wrong !!

Ah well, it is just race car!

Now, who of you lot are gonna buy a cracking good Z off me??

Seeing that I'm not a proper racer could someone help and explain the following opening lap things I noticed? Turn 1, no inside pass attempt by the 280Z on the Corvette? What sounded like a big downshift crunch at 1.08? And the open door for the red Porker at that corner?

No pass at turn 1 because high risk low reward as you are then on the outside and in the shit for turn 2.

gear crunch at 1:08, as Jason said, standard rooted synchros, the engine copped a fair buzz on the down shift. Only easy long term fix is be a little slower on down changes into 2nd, new synchros will be stuffed in a few events.

Open door at Honda - better line through the corner to be on left side at approach, but Porker had better brakes and could run down the right hand side, also good etiquette when in a corner that far not to close the door, this wasn't super taxis, and give each other room. Power being equal, Jason would have been on the better side of the track for the run up to hayshed.

So when are we seeing the luxo barge playing at QR with prod sports. There is a one hour enduro coming up if you want to see how really good you are.....

No pass at turn 1 because high risk low reward as you are then on the outside and in the shiver for turn 2.

gear crunch at 1:08, as Jason said, standard rooted synchros, the engine copped a fair buzz on the down shift. Only easy long term fix is be a little slower on down changes into 2nd, new synchros will be stuffed in a few events.

Open door at Honda - better line through the corner to be on left side at approach, but Porker had better brakes and could run down the right hand side, also good etiquette when in a corner that far not to close the door, this wasn't super taxis, and give each other room. Power being equal, Jason would have been on the better side of the track for the run up to hayshed.

So when are we seeing the luxo barge playing at QR with prod sports. There is a one hour enduro coming up if you want to see how really good you are.....

Maybe gentlemen's 'racing' would not suit my temperament but, and of course it's easy to say, I would hope to have had a go at the Corvette at turn 1 and not just let the Porker pass without a bit of resistance. What is the point of racing if it's just a 'follow the leader' thing? Even in sprints I hate just following someone.

First lap of a 10 lap race you don't need to be taking unnecessary risks in the first corner, tyres still cold, brakes not fully warm yet, very high risk for low reward and on Phillip Island, not the place to be sticking your nose in.

If it was into turn one at Winton or into the Karasel, different matter, then I would have a go at shot down the inside, but no need to bash panels like the taxis do, whilst some have dollars the majority of racers are on a shoe string budget, hence me taking so long to build my car.

Racecraft takes a while to learn, as does knowing the opposition and also being able to trust the other drivers not to take you out. I used to race against a guy who drove a MG Midget back in NSW. In 3 seasons of racing we only touched once, and most races we were no more than a couple of car lengths apart, the track commentators used to talk a lot about us with the racing we could put on. We got to know our driving styles, strengths and weaknesses pretty well and knew where to have a go and where to sit back so as not to upset each others cars which could get expensive at places like Amaroo, which had less run off than Lakeside, plus a solid rock wall you approached head on at about 140-150km/h with a right hand 90 degree turn at the appropriately named stop go. If you had a brake fail it hurt....

Anyone who thinks that you need to do official racing events to learn 'racecraft' needs to have a look at the Zeds sprinting at Morgan Park, which incidentially is on again this weekend. Some of the best older car dicing I have ever seen has been at MP between Zeds, wheel to wheel stuff at speeds which many older so called race cars could never match, particularly Histronics, errr, Historics  :o

Anyone who thinks that you need to do official racing events to learn 'racecraft' needs to have a look at the Zeds sprinting at Morgan Park, which incidentially is on again this weekend. Some of the best older car dicing I have ever seen has been at MP between Zeds, wheel to wheel stuff at speeds which many older so called race cars could never match, particularly Histronics, errr, Historics  :o

Sweet baby jebus, what a load of crap.

Richo, until you actually man up and put your arze into a circuit race, be it a Lakeside rolling start with the Outlaw class, or a Prodsports class event at MP, you have no qualification to say you are "racing" or "dicing"! Niether are the lapdash mob at MP.

Wheel to wheel! Delusions of granduer!

What occurs at a lapdash, ie pretty much the most basic form of pitting man and his machine, against a time clock, is about the limit of the majority, which in itself is a jolly good thing to do,

But,

Until you or the rest of the Z club "i'm a racer" crew in the lapdash scene, move to the next level above "Basic" and conduct yourself in events where all cars start at same time, and complete a set number of laps, ie a race, and you elevate from being a backmarker, to at least top 25% of the finishing grid, and then you may develop a degree of racecraft.

There are plenty Historic sports class cars that will nail the mojority of the MP zed cars, they know it, and get all girly skirty and chuck hissy fits, when real racecars do the "wheel to wheel" thing, as you say.

About time you stopped the armchair driving, and the GunnaWinYa stuff, and simply "Just Do It"

Oh and the pithy excuses ie my panels are rare, i dont have a license etc, are a bit of a joke, go and have a real play at your favourite fast track, Lakeside, in the Outlaws class, ie the turbo charged sports and saloon lads, yours fits in there, but dont be a mobile chicane backmarker!

Is it a bit like the "The world according to Garp"?, where Robin Williams (Garp) is looking at buying a house and while looking a plane crashes into it and he says to the agent - "I'll buy it".

The Realtor thinks and says "what the freak for, it's just had a plane crash into it, it's wrecked", and Garp says - "yes, but what are the chances of it happening again. It is now a disaster proof house".

Garp's view was that a plane crashing into the house is a 100 million to 1 chance, so a repeat of the same disaster would be infinity to 1, or thereabouts.

Not sure you can use the same maths logic for a race car, but hey! whatever smokes your wheels......

Price for this disaster tested pre-loved Z ? ?

Keep smiling - always better days ahead.

Scott.

Sweet baby jebus, what a load of crap.

Richo, until you actually man up and put your arze into a circuit race, be it a Lakeside rolling start with the Outlaw class, or a Prodsports class event at MP, you have no qualification to say you are "racing" or "dicing"! Niether are the lapdash mob at MP.

Wheel to wheel! Delusions of granduer!

What occurs at a lapdash, ie pretty much the most basic form of pitting man and his machine, against a time clock, is about the limit of the majority, which in itself is a jolly good thing to do,

But,

Until you or the rest of the Z club "i'm a racer" crew in the lapdash scene, move to the next level above "Basic" and conduct yourself in events where all cars start at same time, and complete a set number of laps, ie a race, and you elevate from being a backmarker, to at least top 25% of the finishing grid, and then you may develop a degree of racecraft.

There are plenty Historic sports class cars that will nail the mojority of the MP zed cars, they know it, and get all girly skirty and chuck hissy fits, when real racecars do the "wheel to wheel" thing, as you say.

About time you stopped the armchair driving, and the GunnaWinYa stuff, and simply "Just Do It"

Oh and the pithy excuses ie my panels are rare, i dont have a license etc, are a bit of a joke, go and have a real play at your favourite fast track, Lakeside, in the Outlaws class, ie the turbo charged sports and saloon lads, yours fits in there, but dont be a mobile chicane backmarker!

Yeah , no Richard, sorry but as good as lap dashes and sprints are, they aren't racing and never will be.

The difference between sprints and racing is chalk and cheese, sprints all about times, racing all about position. Racecraft isn't learnt in sprints, driving close together is what is learnt in sprints. Racecraft is about learning, very quickly, where best to put your car on the track to pass or stop being passed, where to stick your nose down the inside, or where to hang back and wait for the next corner where you are better positioned to pass, how to psyche out your opponent on the track, or to trick them into the slow line, or defend your position within the rules.

Guaranteed if you put a "racer" in a sprint event and they "race" everyone gets all butt hurt about the racer taking their line, or dive bombing them, which would be expected in racing.

How many times have come on here and other forums whinging about traffic ruining your fast lap???? If you can't cope with that, then you certainly won't cope with racing.

Sorry Richard, until you show us what you can do in a proper race, and there are plenty of opportunities to do this at QR, either Prodsports, or outlaws for your barge, then you are just another gunna internet hero who thinks about throwing it all away with the tiniest of wobbles through a corner.

MP sprints have nothing to do with me as a driver because I don't run there but, unlike the armchair critics, I do base my comments on actual observation of what goes on there with the Zeds and their times. Quite a few of the Q Targa blokes do the MP sprints to keep their hand in, want to call them out too? It might be about time that you 'racers' put your cars where your talk  is, October supersprint championships open to anyone with a CAMS licence. See you there?