George

Last Night I Watched...

I just watched House of the flying Daggers and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Have you seen then if so what did you think :)

Without getting into it, both impeccable films that everyone ought to watch and then watch again. There is so much to take in that you miss on first viewing.

Also worth checking out Curse of the Golden Flower. Although this one is less action and more charged and intense drama.

Have not seen 13 Assassins yet. I'll try to get to that one soon.

Pacific Rim: I REALLY liked this movie, except for one GLARING flaw. I thought the story was pretty original, and well written, special effects were great. I will watch this movie many more times. I ALMOST hope for a sequel, or one of the few times I would actually think a prequel might work, and I despise prequels. That one glaring flaw you ask? Nuclear is a power source not a communications protocol, so the context that the comparison was used in to digital makes ZERO sense, and almost ruined the movie for me. 9/10

Rush (2013) - What can I say. As a car enthusiast I enjoyed the audiovisuals. As a film enthusiast I cringed a few too many times. I honestly think they tried to fit in too much in too short a time. The story felt forced and the actors unconvincing. My fiancé said it succinctly - 'it was just too Hollywood'. 6/10

well try this one out Flag of the our Fathers /Letter from Iwo Jima. for those who haven't seen then I would watch Letters from Owo Jima first. I look froward to your review on this epic George.   

PS It was directed by Eastwood I think it one of the better war moves out there.

well try this one out Flag of the our Fathers /Letter from Iwo Jima. for those who haven't seen then I would watch Letters from Owo Jima first. I look froward to your review on this epic George.   

PS It was directed by Eastwood I think it one of the better war moves out there.

No doubt two of the better war films I've seen and up there as Eastwoods best work. I saw them both in 2007 so a bit hazy on all the details but I do recall being impressed by Letters. That stood out as the better of the two with impressive acting. I should watch it again actually. Thanks for bringing it up. :)

On Eastwood, I really liked his Mystic River. I can highly recommend that one. He was doing some exceptional work in the early 2000's and then he made Gran Torino. I lost all faith in him at that stage.

What's wrong with Gran Torino? I thought it was a great movie, and for once not politically correct, which I found refreshing.

I just didn't enjoy it. I know a lot of people did and it actually rated really well but it beats me why. Eastwood's acting was pedestrian at best and the support acting was absolutely (expletive here) horrible. The two support actors (Thao and Sue characters) were played by first time actors. Eastwood was experimenting here and failed. He tried to use 'real' people and what he got was a couple of stunned mullets in front of a camera. This movie actually proves a point. Give an audience a good final 15 minutes and they'll rave about it having forgotten the lead-up. I might have a different opinion if I watched it now but at the time I really couldn't wait for it to finish. :-/

I enjoyed it all the way through. I thought the use of first time or less experienced actors made the movie more real, and less "Hollywood".

I would say it worked well for me because I know people that would be Eastwood's character, as racist and opinionated about life. It's like any movie though there will always be someone that doesn't like it.

It's like any movie though there will always be someone that doesn't like it.

Exactly right. And that goodness there are so many movies that appeal to such a wide audience. :) I take away something from every movie I watch even though I might not enjoy it overall.

I sat down with the missus the other night and watched the adjustment bureau(2011) it wasnt too bad its one of those romantic love struck stories but it wasnt too bad considering im not a fan of that genre. plus keeps it the better half happy haha

The Brass Teapot - A comedy with a message about being happy with what you have I guess. The synopsis in my own words. A financially struggling young couple discover a brass teapot that will reward them with money each time they experience pain. The more pain the more money they are rewarded. At first they feel a sense of control over this money dispensing device, but soon the teapot will control them.

I'd rate it 5/10 - funny in parts but predictable and to be honest quite forgettable. 

Admission (2013) - Not worth the price of admission. 4/10

Man of Steel (2013) - I enjoy some of these superhero remakes. This one is a decent attempt. 6/10

Drive (2011) - Re-watch. Enjoyed it just as much as the first time I saw it. 9/10

Kick-Ass 2 (2013) - Fun at times but I found myself easily distracted by iDevices. 6/10

The Bourne Legacy (2012) - Re-watch. My other half loves all of the Bourne movies. I've watched all of them at least twice. Solid action/thrillers with much better scripts than the Bond flicks. 7/10

Faster (2010) - Re-watch. The rock is impressively angry and out for revenge. Good action flick to kill an afternoon. 6/10

White House Down (2013) - Same as that other movie only not as good. What was it... Olympus Has Fallen. Meh. 4/10

Planes (2013) - I thought it had its cute moments but missed the runway at the end. 5/10

Turbo (2013) - A much more enjoyable experience than Planes. Fun watch with the kids for all us car nuts. 7/10

Despicable Me 2 (2013) - Drawing on the cuteness of the first one, the sequel does what all sequels do. Make some money at the expense of the original. Still, I wouldn't call it bad and if you enjoyed the first you will enjoy this one as well. 6/10

Spring Breakers (2012) - Woah now. This escalated quickly. Gritty and difficult to enjoy. 5/10

Monsters University (2013) - Pixar rarely disappoint me. Watch this. Watch all Pixar releases. 7/10

Pitch Perfect (2012) - Re-watch. Surprisingly fun movie. I'm sure I'll visit it again sometime. Nothing too ground-breaking, just a solid enjoyable couple of hours. 7/10

Good Will Hunting (1997) Re-watch. Saw this on the plane. Lost count how many times I've seen it. Still holds up well. 9/10

21 Jump Street (2012) - Re-watch. I was really killing time here. Kind of (but not really) enjoyed it the first time so not sure why I watched it again. 6/10

Eat Pray Love (2010) - I had just returned from Bali so I was curious. What a load of effing crap. 3/10

Red 2 (2013) - More of the same. Over the top fun action that you'll forget as soon as the movie finishes. 6/10

The Wolverine (2013) - There's a scene where they show some Japanese style houses during the rain and they don't have gutters. The rain is gently falling off the tips of the roofs and it not only looks great but there's no possibility of your gutters being blocked or overflowing or even of costing you the initial investment. Why don't we do this more often in our western buildings? This is obviously of great import to me because last weekend and yesterday my house got flooded inside because of blocked gutters. I nearly lost my TV unit, stereo system etc. I was just lucky that I was home at the time. When I build a house there will be no gutters. ;) Oh, and the movie was OK. 6/10

2 Guns (2013) - Predictable fun. Nothing wrong with a bit of pew pew. 6/10

Warm Bodies (2013) - I rate my movies on how much I enjoy them. Sometimes one of them surprises me. Warm Bodies is one of those movies. Technically not much higher than an average flick - but to hell with that when it makes you laugh and cheer. Even though it's all a formula and it's predictable... the ride sucks you in and you care for a few moments. 8/10

... There's a scene where they show some Japanese style houses during the rain and they don't have gutters. The rain is gently falling off the tips of the roofs and it not only looks great but there's no possibility of your gutters being blocked or overflowing or even of costing you the initial investment. Why don't we do this more often in our western buildings? ...

Because our homes are not built on stilts but on the ground. Water pooling near the foundations will cause subsidence with major cracking and structural damage to your abode.

After replacing the carpet - twice, I punched holes in the ends of the guttering so now the water runs into the neighbour's house below and their place will subside rather than mine!

you watched alot of movies last night george  ;D

It was raining so I stayed in. :P

Because our homes are not built on stilts but on the ground. Water pooling near the foundations will cause subsidence with major cracking and structural damage to your abode.

After replacing the carpet - twice, I punched holes in the ends of the guttering so now the water runs into the neighbour's house below and their place will subside rather than mine!

Makes perfect sense. In that case, I'm building a house on stilts. ;D

That is some list you have there George and sadly I have seen all of the above list plus more.  :)boy I need to get more  >:(

Movies are a great way to unwind. Don't feel bad for having the luxury to watch so many of them. ;D

Playing now... We're the Millers :D

Man of Steel (2013) - I enjoy some of these superhero remakes. This one is a decent attempt. 6/10

It was ok, seemed like the writers at some point near the middle of the movie asked the question, how much of Metropolis can we destroy in one scene? which just seemed completely unnecessary.

Turbo (2013) - A much more enjoyable experience than Planes. Fun watch with the kids for all us car nuts. 7/10

I realize this was a kids movie, but I just couldn't get into it much. There were a lot of little details I enjoyed, but it just seemed like the story was forced, just to have a story that played off the slang of a turbocharger being called a "snail"... That being said, I'm sure it will be on my screen again a few times in the future.

Spring Breakers (2012) - Woah now. This escalated quickly. Gritty and difficult to enjoy. 5/10

Umm, yeah, a story that you need to pay attention too. I really wasn't sure of the story being told, probably won't watch again.

Monsters University (2013) - Pixar rarely disappoint me. Watch this. Watch all Pixar releases. 7/10

Yep, I wasn't expecting much from this, but I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the story.

Pitch Perfect (2012) - Re-watch. Surprisingly fun movie. I'm sure I'll visit it again sometime. Nothing too ground-breaking, just a solid enjoyable couple of hours. 7/10

A little confession... I sometimes put this movie on just because of the acapella, and let it play in the background. I actually acquired some of the songs in original form after watching this movie.  scared.gif

Rush (2013) - What can I say. As a car enthusiast I enjoyed the audiovisuals. As a film enthusiast I cringed a few too many times. I honestly think they tried to fit in too much in too short a time. The story felt forced and the actors unconvincing. My fiancé said it succinctly - 'it was just too Hollywood'. 6/10

Bugger.... Im in 2 minds now.

Elysium (2013) - I was expecting big things after thoroughly enjoying District 9 but it was a bit of a letdown. 6/10

The Raid (2011) - Indonesian action movie. If you're into karate style action scenes this will fill your thirst. It's surprisingly well made with very cool choreographed action sequences. Won't win any acting awards but that's not the type of film you're watching. 7/10

Elysium (2013) - I was expecting big things after thoroughly enjoying District 9 but it was a bit of a letdown. 6/10

I was really disappointed also. I loved District 9 and I thought the concept of Elysium was awesome, could have really gone further into the ideas and concepts but they just glazed over it and went straight into yet another action film.