Last Night I Watched...

George

Binge watched Season 2 of Ricky Gervais' "Derek".  Not as good as Season 1 but one of the best written TV series I have ever watched.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Pumping Iron. A 1975 doco about Arnie in his final year competing professionally as a body builder and his last Mr Universe title. Arnie really should have started in comedy back then because some of the things he says are just gold. But........ he was an A grade dick. I recommend watching it. It'll give you an insight into his true character. Basically there's nothing he wouldn't do to win. Explains why he's worth $300M

Watched "The Jungle Book" last night. Brought back memories of when I read the book as a kid. CGI was awesome. It was fun trying to work out who the actors were who did the voice overs. The kid that played the lead roll was great and so natural. A good movie to kick back and just relax.

• 1 month later...

Been watching Brock the 2 part movie..

Reasonably enjoyable, bit melodramatic. I did like the fact the makers chose to spend some time on Harry Firth, well done.

I also thought showing the 1982 bathurst cars with no tobacco livery was hilarious, Moffats 43 Rx7 and the JPS Bmw just looked wrong.

Was Brocky really such a ladies man or did channel 9 just run with it ?

• 2 weeks later...

Ghostbusters (2016)

Not nearly the train wreck I was expecting. It was a similar, but also different story to the original. My only real complaint is the hit you over the head with some of the call backs to the original. Most of them could have been done MUCH more subtly and been better integrated into the movie in my opinion. I was expecting utter failure of the all female Ghostbuster cast, but it didn't feel forced. The cameos is what made it good. The funniest moments I thought were from some of the supporting cast and not so much from the main cast.

7/10

The Purge: Election Year (2016)

Meh, it's kinda like the 3rd installment of the Saw franchise, you'll watch it only because you've already seen the first two, and want to see if there's anything new or different, but nothing to really get excited over... Not a terrible movie, but not one that needs to be watched. Centered around politics of the Purge more than the trials of The Purge itself, which I guess is to be expected from the title, but just didn't have the same feel as the first two.

5/10

Warcraft (2016)

Thought it was a decent fantasy movie. I'm not a WoW player so I'm sure that has a lot to do with not hating it. As a fantasy movie fan, it was enjoyable that it wasn't exactly like every other medieval fantasy movie with magic.

7/10

The Avengers 2.5.... I mean... Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Good Marvel universe movie, but was barely a Captain America movie and really another Avengers movie. I kept forgetting while watching it that it's a Captain America movie. Too many other Avengers with solo screen time to be a Cap movie IMO. It get get me excited about some of the other solo movies coming out that are extensions of characters introduced in this movie.

7/10

Straight Outta Compton (2015)

I enjoyed this movie, much more than I expected. I'm not an NWA fan, and only know some of their music, but I found this movie interesting even if some of it is embellished, which I know much of it is not. It was interesting to see some of the stories behind some of the songs and where some of the feuds came from. Casting was done well, and the movie was always engaging. I was a little sad when it ended.

8/10

Zootopia (2016)

Fun animated movie, and very different than many other animated movies. It's one that can be watched over and over again and see new things that weren't seen the first few times through.

8/10

Edited by Six_Shooter

Been watching Brock the 2 part movie..

Reasonably enjoyable, bit melodramatic. I did like the fact the makers chose to spend some time on Harry Firth, well done.

I also thought showing the 1982 bathurst cars with no tobacco livery was hilarious, Moffats 43 Rx7 and the JPS Bmw just looked wrong.

Was Brocky really such a ladies man or did channel 9 just run with it ?

By all accounts of people that knew him from his time in the paddock, he was quite a bell end. A very fast and talented bell end though.

I switched it off after 20 minutes, I couldn't stand the fake car noises, fake commentary and simulated (fake) racing sequences dubbed over the top of the classic footage.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to the cinemas last week. First time in a while. Watched La La Land with hottie and Emma Stone. I see they broke the record for most Golden Globes (7). It's a musical but not an over the top one. Has lots of fantastic one take scenes, or what look like one take anyway. The opening scene is a huge one with lots of clever cuts made to look seamless. The story itself is one of achievement in the face of adversity. Persistence and desire it seems can see your dreams realised... but only in the movies. Emma Stone made a lovely acceptance speech (Youtube link) for her Best Actress win. All in all, a wonderful film that everyone should enjoy. 8/10