S20 for sale...

I think  the biggest issue for us is that most of that info is Japanese and for those of us who are not lucky enough to know/read/speak the language that makes it much harder.

It was a shame that back in the day more did not purchase these optional items - internationally as this might have increased the demand and seen zed on more tracks around the world in period with these parts.

I know for one that in the 70's here in NZ there was a big focus on Saloon racing - ie Holdens, Fords (US, UK and Oz version), Chevs, Hillmans, Mini's etc not many 911 or GT's ie 2 seater hardtop aka our S30z. In fact I can't find any info if 240z were raced in the 70's here in NZ. I know the local Datsun Z Club started up in 1981 and the guys started tracking their road or slightly modified road cars in the early 80's but most of the stuff that local Datsun dealer was supporting Reg Cook and the Shell Sport Series no L6 stuff at all. So as the S30z was never a Saloon car it never raced in any of the series that were raced in this part of the world, unlike the 120Y, 1200, 240RS etc.

Which is a same as there is now becoming a good movement of period correct racing here in NZ and getting the old cars back out on the tracks.

I would love to replicate one of the Japanese race cars (based on a early RS30 given that is what I have ;)) and the rules locally here in NZ will allow it but I need to pick a model and replicate it 100% under our schedule K rules - but if it has these special heads etc that is the hard part :( so I am just going for our T&C rules which are modified production cars using period mods.

Under T&C the body work has to be standard series production using original materials ie steel guard from factory = steel guards today. So no Appendix J Group 2 (for saloons) and Group 4(for sports and GT's) body work, engines also have to standard series production with lots of modifications permitted and brakes and suspension mod have to be a period mod/product used in period on the model in question - so free basically but period only - over the years there has been a lot of scope creep in this "free" area and the rules have changed to make it clearer what this means ie currently there are cars with large flares that were Group 2 or 4 mods running in the T&C classes or Twin Cam engines that were not available in period or used in period (Cosworth YB) that someone tricked the power to be that it was a Warrior/Hollbay replica head....

I think  the biggest issue for us is that most of that info is Japanese and for those of us who are not lucky enough to know/read/speak the language that makes it much harder.

Most definitely - I've been researching the R380 / 381 / 382 racers lately, and for such a relatively rare beast I've found quite a few books and other info, but it is all Japanese. One book in particular looks fantastic (going by the pictures), so frustrating to not be able to read it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mick...

you go to http://translate.google.com/ and put the website URL that you want to translate into the left hand side box, press the translate button and it does the rest...

If you have any issues let me know... but works for most languages, and websites...

Cheers, Jarrod.