1973 Datsun 240Z For Sale - Manual Trans, Silver with Red interior - Sold

silverz

Model: 1973 240z 5 speed manual L24 Engine (compliance plate shows 9/73)

Item condition: Until recently reliable daily driver, I retired it from this role as it was too hard on the car.

Body: I can honestly say I haven't found any rust problems with this car.  Purchased car from rust free Canberra off the original owner in 2007. The paint is not great, there are patches on the roof that have recently developed where the clear coat is lifting (one of the reasons I stopped driving it to work and left it in the garage).

Colour: Silver with red interior (very nice combination in my opinion!)

Mechanical: Mechanically reasonable/daily driver standard.

L24 Engine/E88 cylinder head. Manual Transmission

Since I have owned it I have replaced:

seat belts;

steering rack bushes;

rear wheel bearings;

rear wheel brake cylinders;

clutch slave cylinder and hose;

Front diff mount; and

rear gearbox mount.

I had the harmonic balancer pulley reconditioned. Fitted a 280ZX distributor and coil, fitted new distributor carrier bearing assembly and vac advance unit. Head gasket recently replaced due to oil leak down side of the block.

I also recently replaced the radiator with 3 row aluminium one (I still have the original radiator however the top tank was leaking)

The Diff  has been reconditioned by a fitter friend with new bearings and seals (used to be very noisy). 

There are lots of other things I have done it is hard to remember them all, I took the fuel tank out and replaced the rotted out fuel breather, replaced the welsh plugs in the inlet manifold and cleaned all the muck out of the manifold and lots of other little clean up bits.

Suspension: This area needs work, the original springs sag, however I have a lowered set I bought from Dimitri that will go with the car, similarly the struts are shot and need replacing.

Car comes with some spares: original distributor, coil, ballast resistor, original radiator (top tank leaks at seam).

Price and Payment Conditions: Offers around $12300 negotiable.

It is hard to settle on a price. Shannon's have insured the car for $12300 agreed value. I think that is a good start point and am keen to get some where close to that amount.  However I know the market is not what it was a couple of years ago and also that the car needs some work as it is, but you have to ask how much would it sell for if it was perfect? probably close to double what I want.  Therefore I am very open to reasonable offers, however I am motivated to sell but not desperate and can hold on to it for a bit if I can't get any decent offers. I would just probably have to drive it back to Townsville and store it there - at least I know it would make it as it has done that trip before.

Registration: Currently has Vic rego until mid Jul 13. I have done nothing about getting a roadworthy, will need suspension work and some tidying up to get one.

Extra Info: I am the second owner of this car, it is not perfect and is not heavily modified (even has the original AM radio) but it has a great old school look and I have driven it for over 26000 miles with very little trouble.

Why am I selling; I am about to go into my fourth year separated from my family, they are in Townsville, I work in Victoria, hence I spend any reasonable lengths of spare time in Townsville and don't get to work on the car. Using it as a daily driver was just running the car down and I don"t have the space or all of my tools etc here to work on it even if I did have the time.

I am happy to provide any prospective buyers with the info they require. If you are genuinely interested my preferred way to answer questions is by PM: I am prepared to disclose all I know about the cars condition I do not want to rip anyone off.

I apologise for the lack of photos, I have a very slow internet connection here which makes uploading photos difficult, I will try to add more later.

Last point remember price is negotiable.

Thanks

Regards

Peter

TheDatsunatAllSaintsWahgunyahMay20122.jpg

this is sad to see, it is one of the cleanest stock 240z I have seen, good luck with the sale I hope she gets a good home

+1 Wow Pete how time flies! I was the one who missed out last time and you beat me to the punch on buying this Zed. Looks just the same and just as good as it did 6 years ago. Sorry you have to sell the Zed and hope she goes to a good home.

cheers, Mike

• Administrators

A shame to see you selling mate, but this is honestly the best kind of car to start with for anyone looking to restore. It would be a walk in the park and all complete compared to a rusty bucket missing everything.

I just hope the new owner doesn't do the typical ZG flares(nothing wrong with it), would be nice to keep it stock and original in my opinion.

Thanks everone for the comments. I have had to think long and hard about selling, though I am sure I have made the right decision. My current circumstances make it too hard to keep it. I cleaned it up yesterday and checked it out looking for rust, taking photos etc.

Also took it for a drive which made me realise what I will be missing. I still get a lot of enjoyment out of it, but can't keep using it as a daily driver, so I keep it in the garage and my new daily is then in the weather which is not good either, have to get the ice off most mornings before I drive to work!

Anyway nice day here when my domestic duties are complete I am going for a drive again - while I can.

Regards

Peter

I can confirm I have taken a deposit on the car, so it looks like it is sold. Thank you to all those that showed an interest in the car.

Good luck in your endeavours to find the right car for you.

The new purchaser is already a member of this forum and I trust that they will make themselves known to all soon. I hope that they have as much help and assistance from the members of this forum that I have been so fortunate to have.

Thank you.

Regards

Peter

• Administrators

You know since you listed the car I was thinking of making an offer on it sight unseen. It really does look like a great example. I didn't think it would last at that price.

Congrats to both you and the new owner.

Your not the only one Gav... ::)

I saw the car in the flesh in february  and " tried" to convince the wife we need a second zed, and that it needed to come back to its original home in Canberra.......she told me to empty the dishwasher and feed the cat.

I can confirm I have taken a deposit on the car, so it looks like it is sold. Thank you to all those that showed an interest in the car.

Good luck in your endeavours to find the right car for you.

The new purchaser is already a member of this forum and I trust that they will make themselves known to all soon. I hope that they have as much help and assistance from the members of this forum that I have been so fortunate to have.

Thank you.

Regards

Peter

Hi All,

I am the lucky new owner of this fantastic machine. I can't thank Peter enough for being simply fantastic to deal with. I trekked over from Adelaide and felt really confident I knew the car even before inspecting.

Thank you again Peter, I hope to do the car proud and enjoy it as much as it seems you have. It stood up well over the 900km back to SA and hopefully improves as I address a few of the bits and pieces that need attention.

Regards,

James

• Administrators

So Cracker, what have we learnt? I noticed you sold a tidy 240z not that long ago here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,6803.0.html

So you have decided that the 240z is professional looking enough after all?

That is a great 240z you got yourself there.

Well, not really, no. I am a real estate agent in Adelaide and quite  often deal with some high end clients that would scoff at an "old car"! Whilst technically I dont care what they think, if I persisted with this attitude I would lose business as a result...

I can now afford to own the z as a second car and pending a drastic change in circumstances this one won't be going anywhere any time soon.

PS. Only after committing to buy Peters car did I try to find some progress on my old 240z and found out about its unfortunate demise.

Bah! A great condition, classic car with silver paint on red interior is far classier than your boring new 5-series on lease.

1955-Mercedes-Benz-300SL-Alloy-Gullwing.jpg

Congrats on the purchase  ;D Look forward to hopefully seeing it around..

Hi All,

I am the lucky new owner of this fantastic machine. I can't thank Peter enough for being simply fantastic to deal with. I trekked over from Adelaide and felt really confident I knew the car even before inspecting.

Thank you again Peter, I hope to do the car proud and enjoy it as much as it seems you have. It stood up well over the 900km back to SA and hopefully improves as I address a few of the bits and pieces that need attention.

Regards,

James

Thanks James,

I very much appreciate that you made sure it was a relatively painless transaction for me too. I must admit I was pleased and relieved when I got word you made it back to Adelaide with no dramas. That car never let me down and I had taken it on longer trips than that,  however you never know what will happen with a 40 year old car. I would have felt really bad if you were stuck somewhere along the way.

Thanks to all on the forum for your advice and guidance over the years, I have made a small donation in appreciation of the website's role in selling the car. I wish you all good health and good luck.

Regards

Peter

You know whats the best thing about this car??

Its in Adelaide now  ;D ;D :P

One more taken from the mexicans  8)

Ant wait to see it favourite combo silver with red.

Wheres Adelaide ???........

Where its not as cold as where you are from.

Its a small place full of churches,pristene beaches, (you wouldnt know what that is) and home of best Z in Australia.

We even took the trophy best car in the last nationals ironically it was a Z  ::)

;D ;D 8) :P

• 3 months later...

Sold ?

Thank you

Model: 1973 240z 5 speed manual L24 Engine (compliance plate shows 9/73)

Item condition: Until recently reliable daily driver, I retired it from this role as it was too hard on the car.

Body: I can honestly say I haven't found any rust problems with this car.  Purchased car from rust free Canberra off the original owner in 2007. The paint is not great, there are patches on the roof that have recently developed where the clear coat is lifting (one of the reasons I stopped driving it to work and left it in the garage).

Colour: Silver with red interior (very nice combination in my opinion!)

Mechanical: Mechanically reasonable/daily driver standard.

L24 Engine/E88 cylinder head. Manual Transmission

Since I have owned it I have replaced:

seat belts;

steering rack bushes;

rear wheel bearings;

rear wheel brake cylinders;

clutch slave cylinder and hose;

Front diff mount; and

rear gearbox mount.

I had the harmonic balancer pulley reconditioned. Fitted a 280ZX distributor and coil, fitted new distributor carrier bearing assembly and vac advance unit. Head gasket recently replaced due to oil leak down side of the block.

I also recently replaced the radiator with 3 row aluminium one (I still have the original radiator however the top tank was leaking)

The Diff  has been reconditioned by a fitter friend with new bearings and seals (used to be very noisy). 

There are lots of other things I have done it is hard to remember them all, I took the fuel tank out and replaced the rotted out fuel breather, replaced the welsh plugs in the inlet manifold and cleaned all the muck out of the manifold and lots of other little clean up bits.

Suspension: This area needs work, the original springs sag, however I have a lowered set I bought from Dimitri that will go with the car, similarly the struts are shot and need replacing.

Car comes with some spares: original distributor, coil, ballast resistor, original radiator (top tank leaks at seam).

Price and Payment Conditions: Offers around $12300 negotiable.

It is hard to settle on a price. Shannon's have insured the car for $12300 agreed value. I think that is a good start point and am keen to get some where close to that amount.  However I know the market is not what it was a couple of years ago and also that the car needs some work as it is, but you have to ask how much would it sell for if it was perfect? probably close to double what I want.  Therefore I am very open to reasonable offers, however I am motivated to sell but not desperate and can hold on to it for a bit if I can't get any decent offers. I would just probably have to drive it back to Townsville and store it there - at least I know it would make it as it has done that trip before.

Registration: Currently has Vic rego until mid Jul 13. I have done nothing about getting a roadworthy, will need suspension work and some tidying up to get one.

Extra Info: I am the second owner of this car, it is not perfect and is not heavily modified (even has the original AM radio) but it has a great old school look and I have driven it for over 26000 miles with very little trouble.

Why am I selling; I am about to go into my fourth year separated from my family, they are in Townsville, I work in Victoria, hence I spend any reasonable lengths of spare time in Townsville and don't get to work on the car. Using it as a daily driver was just running the car down and I don"t have the space or all of my tools etc here to work on it even if I did have the time.

I am happy to provide any prospective buyers with the info they require. If you are genuinely interested my preferred way to answer questions is by PM: I am prepared to disclose all I know about the cars condition I do not want to rip anyone off.

I apologise for the lack of photos, I have a very slow internet connection here which makes uploading photos difficult, I will try to add more later.

Last point remember price is negotiable.

Thanks

Regards

Peter

TheDatsunatAllSaintsWahgunyahMay20122.jpg