Tripz 1977 260z 2+2

Well its finally happened and I got myself a zed. Now as much as I wanted a 2 seater the simple fact of the matter is my wife gave birth to our first baby a few weeks back and I plan on taking them both to future events so the 2+2 made sense to me.

The history that I know of the car is that it was restored in the early 90's by the person I purchased the car off. Now he live in WA but then moved the Cairns where he ran the car on WA rego until it ran out and then it just ended up in a shed. He has now moved back to WA and I got the car from Cairns and its now ready to be restored again but there is some parts on the car that are still good (eg the carpet).

Basic out line of my plans are:

Exterior: High gloss metallic black, Polish all the stainless and chrome up. Re-chrome the bumpers (they are currently matched to the body colour), Headlight covers, clear lights which will be tinted with Crystalite (ADR approved headlight tint), HID's from zcarparts, Flares, Wide wheels to fill the flares, New badges all round including fairlady badges instead of the 260z ones, Fender mirrors (thanks Fairlady Z).

Interior: Black with red stitching, Will try and restore the wood and chrome plating as well. Hopefully will get a wood steering wheel from Fairlady Z as well

Engine: Hopefully a stroked L28 (3.1L) with triple carbs. I already have triple 40mm Dellortos with a redline manifold, The seller thought they were 45mm but when I checked today they have DHLA 40 on them.

Suspension and Brakes: Well it will be the usual brake swaps with discs all round and some form of coilovers.

I will be getting a list of parts I need as I strip her down so I will be sure to be hitting up a few members looking for stuff. Car looks like it had AC fitted to it as well.

[Edit]

Found my old image shack account so thought I would get pictures up on there so I can add larger images and not be limited to 4 per post.

imagequng.th.jpg

The box with the Triple 40mm Dellorto's

imagegmyq.th.jpg

View through the hatch

imageqgr.th.jpg

Rear seats aren't too bad but will still get retrimmed.

imagenriq.th.jpg

The worse of the body damage, Nose cone needs some repairs too. There is rust in other areas but I find rust easier then beating out panels.

imagemzr.th.jpg

The carpets in pretty good condition. A shampoo and they should come up like new.

post-2586-14402371873_thumb.jpg

post-2586-144023718742_thumb.jpg

post-2586-144023718752_thumb.jpg

post-2586-144023718763_thumb.jpg

Started looking at the car so I now have my exterior list of parts. I am sure there is some stuff I am still forgetting.

260Z Exterior Parts List

Rims(?)

Flares (top stage)

432 Spoiler (top stage)

Fairlady Z badges (x3)

Z bonnet badge 

Headlight covers

Clear lights all round (Jason at Klearz.com)

HID Headlights 

Fender mirrors 

Windscreen stainless trim 

Hatch stainless trim (both top corners, passenger side L piece)

Bonnet inspection panel (drivers side)

You have missed something on your list . There seems to be nothing for your wife . You will have to come up with some kind of sweetener for her.  You will know that I mean when the time comes. The triple carbs will make such an improvement over what you have on now and In 20 years time that same baby will want to take that Z out for a spin, be ready for that.

I have been shopping for a second hand piano for her so I might make abit more of an effort to get done sooner rather then later, we area little bit of a musical family as I play drums.

In regards to Scarlett wanting to drive the car I guess I will have to do a really good job hiding the kill switch.

Welcome!

FWIW the 40mm Dellortos won't flow enough air for even a hot L28 - let alone a 3.1ltr.

It'll make around 240hp & then fall over.

Get yourself some decent 45mm carbs - you wont regret it ;)

Thanks for that lurch its better to find out now then later. I might start on getting the L26 up and running and put them on that and just get new manifolds and such for the L28 build. This way I can get the car on the road while the L28 gets built.

I will have to see what rear spoilers for the 2+2 he can get. I would prefer to spend money with people within the community but the only reason I was thinking top stage was because they had the flares and rear spoiler which would have saved me some cash on postage.

• 1 month later...

Well with Scarlett still being young she hasn't given me a chance to work on the car but I have started stock piling parts. I will add pictures but I currently have or have ordered; stainless hatch trim (complete), stainless windscreen trim (complete), undented nose cone, fender mirrors, spare center console (will fg fix it), metal sill covers (ones with datsun on the incase I can't knock my others back into shape, wooden steering wheel, NOS door lock knobs and gromits, new rubber shift boot, clear side indicators, 55mm trumpets for the 40mm triple carbs, roll master cam sprocket, 74 deg works cam.

Decided against the l28 stroke build and now looking at .20 oversized l24 flat top pistons into the l26 with the cam and hopefully the 40mm carbs will be enough and just rebuild the L26 to get it fresh

Nice and i'm with nizmoZ. OTOMOTO hands down. worth every $ extra. trust me.

i may have some parts lot cheaper if you want to save a bit ie flares and rear wing second hand though besides flares are new. PM me for details.

also found those inspection lids if you want them.

Flares and 432 style rear spoiler will be the next major purchase and I will talk to you first to see what you have. I didn't end up needing the inspection panels I was abit sleep deprived and what I do need is a drivers side bonnet vent.

I am finding so much stuff I want on ebay in the US but why did the Australian dollar have to take a turn for the worse.

Also got the accelerator pedal/linkage working today as it was seized up. I am thinking of going the cable route but I love the look of the hard linkage.

• 2 weeks later...

Well been doing some more parts collection today which I don't have photos of but here is some pics of other parts I have collected.

th_7362adfa1a1140686586450f217f825a.jpg

Wood steering wheel. Not to bad shape

th_8cb1ebf8e50945dd86fdf904bd08ec90.jpg

Fender Mirrors

th_777697b404dc01bf8c27760bcc4284a1.jpg

Rear Window Shade. Needs some repairs but all mounts are there but 1.

th_ba569dc7ccb62d5dd1278a01b295657e.jpg

Some service manuals. I do have the big red book to.

th_7c2cd53739616d30130f7fa94e4f9517.jpg

Center console. Needs some repairs so will get the fibreglass out on it.

th_7f60d985712a82d32053f0c1258642e2.jpg

74 deg works cam

th_03463d7daae4fce671e633ff214d553f.jpg

Roll master adjustable cam gear.

th_bb994d40e1b4afaf5ff9d81417c36807.jpg

Trumpets for the triple carbs.

th_ed37ee37d7621e7d8830f4bb80d58b1a.jpgth_43743e895e5ac46ae93aa1405a48cd63.jpg

Windscreen and Hatch stainless trim. Top piece is before cleaning up. Only been polished by hand so far so should come out great when the buffer gets used.

Will try photograph the other stuff I picked up tomorrow or during the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Went and poked around the car again today and finally got her up on stands to get a better view on things. Got some more parts coming which I will add photos at the end of the week but here is some more random things that have turned up.

th_d7fde760ac13cfe53ee7acd73d1d333b.jpg

Some random new old stock like ignition leads, l28 and l26 dizzy cap and rotor buttons and some other stuff.

th_0f215a8305b03ba085a305e923b1985a.jpg

Gear stick boot N.O.S as well

th_3a052889927081b5efd22d1cba2b37c4.jpg

Window winder locking clips N.O.S

th_d34698029da1c73432cee6b00d860065.jpg

Door locks and the base as well that goes into the door card N.O.S

th_4af7a73020373275fb53d3dfde05d414.jpg

Zed finally in the air

th_0438c4cba31d4a2373553bd3ef2945b5.jpg

Pulled the guard off to check it out as it will be going to panel beaters

We need to have the 2 nicest 2+2's in Australia Johnny its just a shame mine will be a long way off. I do have more parts sitting around that haven't been photographed and I'm getting ready to send my upper tail lenses over to Klearz in canada and get all my repos made.

• 2 months later...

Well time for some more parts updates.

th_null_zpsdee2f5eb.jpg

ZG Flairs from trusty Johnny (Fairlady Z)

th_null_zpsf4840931.jpg th_null_zps968c2a60.jpg th_null_zps95c16d05.jpg

432 Spoiler from Johnny as well. Needs some mods to fit the 2+2 right.

th_null_zps2756d526.jpg

Box of random parts. The console piece was in better condition then mine so grabbed it.

th_null_zpsdb96434c.jpg

NOS Nose Cones (Taiwanese I think) plus the wood steering wheel I got from Martin (Wildy55)

th_null_zps8a8eb64b.jpg

Ebay find, Great condition bonnet vents as one mounting screw was broken on one of mine.

th_null_zps873f110f.jpg

Front vent/ducts as my car was missing them and had the section welded up I will be taking the cutters to it and refitting these.

th_null_zpsc99a07fa.jpg

Fuel Splash Flap for a 240z so no good to me right now (The dream is to get a 240z) so will have the order the late model 260z (or 280z in the states) from Black Dragon when I save enough for a decent order.

th_null_zpsbdc79f2a.jpg

Some light reading material

th_null_zps3e4c2f86.jpg

Complete 280zx upgrade package for the 240z (sure not much difference for the 260z) being sent up by Martin. More detailed photos when it gets here.

th_null_zpsd0e52f6b.jpg th_null_zps1cf8c321.jpg th_null_zps6ef43b79.jpg

Got the wiper arms sent up from Johnny ages ago (with the flairs and spoiler) and finally got around to stripping the paint and started to polish them up. Will get alot more done to them before they make it onto the car as there is some light scratches on one and will dip the whole things into paint stripper to remove all the paint from the back as well but they came up alright so far. Also got the wiper blades from All Z Parts.

th_null_zpse3b6d7a0.jpg

After much thought I have decided on the Work Meister CR-01 in 15x9 -16 for the front and 15x10 -28 on the rear. I just hope they will clear the brakes (want to run Hilux on the front). So money being saved for those and the coilover setup.

Almost forgot to add, Hopefully next week will have a NOS 2+2 center console plus a 2nd hand straight drivers side guard (couldn't afford the $500 for brand new). 2 Weeks time the custom lenses should be done as well then will have to be shipped from canada.

With the CR01s, I have Equip 03s and I had to get the T-disk (big caliper) version to clear my S12-8 Hilux calipers. There isn't much in it I admit but if the CR01s are anything like my wheels you will definitely need the big caliper version.

Even if you lose 15mm dish by going with the big caliper face It's not like you are going to be short of dish anyway 8)

Thanks for that. It's abit of an expensive mistake if I get the wrong ones. The offsets are different with different faces. I might see if a supplier can give me brake measurements.

Just had a quick look at the specs (can't find brake clearance) but in the t disc (big brake) they come in 15x9 -15 and 15x10 -28 so that might be the safest bet

You will only need the T-disk up front. I actually have O-disk (deep dish) rears but I would recommend staying with standard (A) disk rear so the wheels are easier to sell if you ever want to move them on or go bigger rear brakes for whatever reason

Is there any reason besides cosmetic that you wouldn't go the T-Disc all round? Even in the T-Disc there is still 82mm of dish on the front and 107mm dish on the rear. If you go the A-Disc on the rear it does push the dish to 133mm but I am unsure if it would look weird have T-Disc front and A Disc Rear.

From the "outside" (what we see on the car) the wheels look the same to me. On the inside the mounting face is flat to the spokes on O-disk, slightly raised (about 10mm) on A-disk and further raised (about 25mm) on T disk. That's why T-disk wheels have roughly 15mm more -ve offset for a given "dish" on the fitment chart.

Ok I wasn't sure if you would notice a difference between them looking in. I am still thinking t-disc all round just for max brake clearance and let's be honest the dish maybe around 2cms less but there is still plenty there.

Rims and coil overs are still a fair bit off so I am sure I will get plenty of research done before I get them.

Hopefully arriving this week is the 280zx rear brakes, drivers front fender (I can finally mount the fender mirrors then) and NOS 2+2 center console.