MYS30 :D - just a few pictures

I Though its a time for a bit of an update on the old girl....

Not a great deal has happend ive swapped my gearbox back over to the 280 box instead of the 240 flange box that came bolted to the motor.

photo1_zps8548cdeb.jpg

Having a hoist at my new place with my mate makes life a hell of a lot easier now too  ;D

Considering i had her jacked up on axle stands to rip the other gearbox out, i decied to wait till i moved to utilise the hose and make it easier refitting the new box.

ive sorted out some wiring issues with the help of a friend and i now have fully functioning lights and indicators and have swapped out the old sealled beam lights for some semi sealed units with H4 globes best investment yet for $100 bucks. ive alos swapped out my clear indicator/park light lens as they were a little perissed and damaged

BEFORE

photo1_zps8548cdeb.jpg

AFTER

photo3_zps226f7bfb.jpg

Should look abit better when i get new front air dam :)

ive been a bit slack with work on my series 2 bonnet but ill have to get it sorted soon as i can find some good conditon bonnet vents that wont cost and arm and a leg and i still need to find a new front bumper too :/

really now after a month or so of her sitting around ill drive her a bit before i decide to save more coin and tackle a brake upgrade and have her pulled apart again. poor girl seems to spend more times in peices only cause i cant help but change things for the better hahaha

Man if I owned where I live at the moment I'd definitely invest in a lift, gotta make life so much easier.

I can tell you now Gav if i can. i plan never to move, the hoist is clearly a better investment than a missus hahaha

and going back to not using one would be slow and painful mate

• Moderators

Man if I owned where I live at the moment I'd definitely invest in a lift, gotta make life so much easier.

Problem is that most garages do not have enough roof height for hoist.

I suppose you could fit one and restrict the lift so as to avoid hitting the roof. In the case of a Z you would still the car a few feet off the ground.

Hmmmm maybe I should reconsider getting one  ::)

I'm building a garage (DA stage) and am looking to buy one of these. Perfect for low height ceilings and with the added benefit of being able to remove it when you don't need it for a while. My plan is to just leave the post near the wall and remove the one near the centre of the garage.

The compromise is a lower lift height of 1500 which means you can't stand upright underneath the car. I can live with that. A good stool on rollers will do me.

http://happ.com.au/hoist_and_lift/happ90-3t-two-post-hoist-fully-adjustable/

• Moderators

I'm building a garage (DA stage) and am looking to buy one of these. Perfect for low height ceilings and with the added benefit of being able to remove it when you don't need it for a while. My plan is to just leave the post near the wall and remove the one near the centre of the garage.

The compromise is a lower lift height of 1500 which means you can't stand upright underneath the car. I can live with that. A good stool on rollers will do me.

http://happ.com.au/hoist_and_lift/happ90-3t-two-post-hoist-fully-adjustable/

I looked at these a while back, but never went through with it.

http://radum.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=11_246

• Administrators

The alternative to a lift is a mechanic pit, the only downside to that is more limited space to work around the car and if you want to remove suspension etc.. it's not as good as the lift. You also have to be careful of exhaust fumes.

Someday, someday.....

• 8 months later...

It seems to be all or nothing when i work on the zed. I'm waiting for a few goodies to show up in the next few weeks. i have a new exhaust manifold coming. once it's here i just need to fab up a new 2 1/2" exhaust system. I made a exhaust manifold for my mates Desoto at his place just using a mig to weld it up, actually came out alright for a home job and a few beers.

image_zpszwocqwy3.jpg

Im also waiting on some some T3 gear also, front & rear strut braces, C pillar brace, braided brake lines and the tow hook kit well because racecar!

I've also scored some 350Z seats off may mate who upgraded his seats. here's the two side by side  8)

image_zpsry44wkpt.jpg

i was lucky enough that all i needed to do was remove the factory 350z rails and put my 260z seat rails on. i only need to drill one hole in the front of 350z seat base for the 260z rails to fit straight on

image_zps3bzbkpbc.jpg

When it came to mounting the seats in the car i had to drill 2 new holes in the front section where it bolts to the floor. the reay section was too narrow so i used some 40x5mm flat with the extended holes drilled to suit and used the factory holes to mount my bracket so i didnt have to drill any more holes in the floor.

image_zpsdcgqmvp4.jpg

once that was all bolted in the seats dropped straight in

image_zpsqgloo4kg.jpg

image_zpsfp6s5jfo.jpg

They actually look almost like they should be there. all the seat still function's and the rails move freely. i have removed the side air bags and repacked the hole with some foam cushion and you wouldn't even know. I've only got to run power to the drivers seat so i can be able to adjust the back support and it will be all sweet to get mod plated.

The purple wheels are no long purple but gold now.

image_zpshwm7khys.jpg

It looks a lot better and cleaner IMHO

The bonnet also hit road block. i was going to paint it red, then it was going to be matte or gloss black, but now after finding a set of bonnet vents thanks to a fellow forum member Triptych. I think ill get it wrapped with the intimation carbon wrap with the black vents in hi gloss black to offset it.

image_zpsxxm579q8.jpg

so as you can see its been all go on the old girl lately.

Hey Matt , love the use of 350 seats.  Their a nice driving seat. How much will it cost to get them mod plated ?

Nice MIG work too ! , if ever get the urge to earn some good cash welding in some sill rust repair sections , just let me know  ;)

Thanks mate. ill find out how much it will cost to mod plate them next week when i have my RDO, but i doubt it will be much. Took her for a quick run around the block with them in i couldn't fault it and are pretty comfy.

yeah mate if you need some welding done I'm more than happy to help out where i can bud.

• 1 month later...

So while ive started to carry out some rust repairs on my Zed. it started with removing the rest of the sound deadening under the seats.

image_zpsr987wfj6.jpg

After

image_zps7elh5zvy.jpg

its has uncovered a rather large rust hole that i was aware was originally there given the rust repairs carried out but it was just a bit of fibre glass tape with sound deadening slapped on the bottom it looked like a sound enough rust repair but it wasn't.

image_zps5ss6w4st.jpg

The passenger side is rather clean considering but still will require a bit of work

image_zps4tyjwlyf.jpg

More repairs

image_zpst1fnd9ov.jpg

And of course someone though they would take photos of me working.... doesnt happen often haha

image_zpstii3utgo.jpg

image_zpsga5n08hs.jpg

The nights before i started i had fitted my T3 front and rear strut braces and C pillar brace. ive just got to fit my braided brake lines too and i also have the tow hooks not for looks but practicality

image_zpsuatnsjkr.jpg

I'm also going to use a piece of 3 mm alloy sheet to make an infill panel for my rear hatch. left over speaker clips worked a treat to be able to screw the panel in when its cut to size

image_zpsgktx30d7.jpg

These bad boys also showed up from the states from the Z store

image_zps4rssvp6t.jpg

just have to fab the rest of the exhaust with some 2 1/2" pipe and a hot dog. hardest part is trying to find a tip im happy with. at this stage i'm thinking of just having a 3" dumpy off the rear. depending on how i go with the rear section im thing of having it removable from just behind the diff with a V band so i can change the rear set up with a different muffler if im not happy with the new set up when its completed.

Playing around with the idea of a new gauge panel too. as my car never had a working heater or fan i found a much better use for this panel to house my new gauges. ill see how i go with it but it should work.

image_zpsazqgx1zi.jpg

I'm also thinking of positioning my fuse box to the passenger side fire wall with a similar set up like this.

image_zpspszouka9.jpg

to make it a bit more reliable and easier to access. plus i need to upgrade my head light wiring with some relays to make them brighter too.

But till i get paid next week its hit a stop so we shall see what the following week will bring.

Edited by MATTY

The C-pillar brace is obviously a new addition to TTT's stock. I wonder if they actually stiffen up the chassis a bit?? Definitely looks cool.

Yeah i'm yet to find out myself mate, but the old girl must have abit of a twist to her over the years. was a tight fit to get in same with the rear strut brace

• 2 weeks later...

well hopefully i'll have the new exhaust system made and fitted Friday ready for me to drive her to where I can repair my rusted sections on Saturday. im just going to be running a 21/2" system with a hot dog on the rear. Still need to work out what tip I want too. still thinking a 3" dump will do but ill see.

A little bit of bashing and sheet metal working later and ive got my repair sections sorted. I had thought of new floor pan sections but this is a more easier option for me now.

image_zpsfwxzj1hv.jpg

image_zpso27e9dji.jpg

I just need to prep the areas where ill be welding. I only have 6 patches to weld in for now a few wouldn't have needed it but I though while im at it they may as well be done

Last weekend I managed to get most of exhaust done. as well as a few rust repairs on the floors too.

Bit of a noticeable difference between the new system (left) and the old system (right)

image_zps7easuzjd.jpg

I was able to tuck the exhaust up as much as possible
image_zpsqs2zi9r5.jpg

and then getting the hot dog in place. was a bit P!$$ed off about being bout 100mm short on the elbow sections but lucky I had some left over straight section to get me out of trouble.
image_zps4jukj9sm.jpg

I ran out of time at work to finish the system so ill need to take it off again fully weld the system up. I had to move the old girl when I only had half the exhaust done. the straight pipe was a bit loud hahaha. but is more subtle now with the system on it. Although after coming back home I managed to set the neighbour's car alarm off just by sneaking up the driveway. over all its not loud its just has a really deep note on idle now.

once the exhaust is back on a coat of heat proof paint on the exhaust and some on then underside ill be able to finish off the rust repairs, repaint the interior andwire my auxiliary switches up 

image_zpsogyfyu1j.jpg

The old rear face plate has a hole in it from a previous switch but im looking at putting in another small light similar to the map light on the dash.

• 4 months later...

well the exhaust was done not long after the post and i was quite happy with it. The interior got a coat of machinery grey which i think off sets the black interior well and shows off the reinforcing along the side rail. ( looks sorta race car spec ahah)

After having my alternator die last saturday night coming home from a local car meet it was discovered that the alternator was never wired up correctly ( i was partially to blame but my electrician mate did the dodgy stuff lol) after getting a new unit it was then we realized that it was wrong from there we started with this list

image_zpswvreilr3.jpg

and then chasing wires for everything else started

image_zps0jp0yicp.jpg

after finding what i didn't need in the engine bay with my thermo fans an other wiring we tidied it up

image_zpsyc8gvin4.jpg

then it was a matter of fitting in the secondary fuse box with relays for my thermos, power to the drivers seat & electric fuel pump

image_zpsfn4eydj7.jpg

whilst we were at it my mate Adam who is pretty switched on with electrical crap found out why my other gauges weren't working. it was a combination of bad contacts and earthing apparently but hey i now have  a working fuel, oil pressure , amp and temp gauges. I just need to track down a 280 tach as i have the electronic dizzy so from what we can figure out using one of them will be easier than anything aftermarket for now. once i pull the dash out to fit what ever tach i get i will look at re doing my lighting in the dash better than before.

but the finished product was that all the switches did there appropriate job!

image_zpstplkcgbi.jpg

so there isn't much more i need to worry about before i can get a bit serious and look at the motor brakes and suspension but not necessarily in that order. hopefully this week ill take the zed for a tune as now the power to the coil and everything else its a tad on the rich side but an easy fix none the less.

Edited by MATTY

Hey man great work on the floor pan rust repair, i pretty much did the exact same repairs not 2 weeks ago! I like your center console panel, are you going to paint it black? oh and what will those switches be used for?

Rudi.

Hey man great work on the floor pan rust repair, i pretty much did the exact same repairs not 2 weeks ago! I like your center console panel, are you going to paint it black? oh and what will those switches be used for?

Rudi.

Yeah they were fun repairs, new pans will be the go next but. I'm thinking of painting it black but might wrap it in carbon for something different.

currently the switches control my thermo fan, secondary ignition (as well as power do my drivers seat for the rear adjustment) and electric fuel pump.

• 2 months later...

That's a shame. I've never seen this car around before. Didn't catch the number plate as it went past , but she looked really similar to yours.

Sounded really nice. I'm just about to get my exhaust system replaced , so I was hoping it was yours , that way I was just going to copy you're setup. Lol

Cheers,

Rob

Actually I do know who that would be now. That would have been Aaron and his 240z he's not just got her running again after she was sitting for a bit now. That's who it would have been