New QLD Member

Hi All,

My name is Robert and I live in Toowoomba , QLD. As of yesterday I became the proud owner of a 1977 260z 2+2 , which I bought from a member here  , Aliangus ( who has been very obliging, running the car around to get inspected, transported and sending photo's, despite an obviously busy work schedule).

This will be my second Zed , the first was a 2008 350z. I sold this car a few weeks back as I felt the cash could be better used to complete some home renovations. While it was an awesome car, powerful, comfortable and reliable I was never brave enough to take to it with a spanner and I found that I always craved the "old school car" feel that I grew up with. So here I am.

The last month has consisted of absorbing as much information as humanly possible and I look forward to the many challenges it will bring, not to mention ending up on a first name basis with the local towing guy  :)

I am sure I will have my share of silly questions to ask and I look forward to the day when I will have something to contribute back. 

Thanks ,

Robert

Good to see another Queenslander. I am new around here to (my zed is in transport as we speak) and I have noticed everybody seems really nice and there is a huge wealth of knowledge around here. Welcome aboard buddy and look forward to see pictures of your car. Is all the money you got for the 350z going towards the 260z?

• Moderators

Welcome Robert,

It wuold be great to have a good healthy budget to "update" some parts on the zed; makes it a more pleasurable experience when driving eg triples!

As with the tow truck, mines only been on one once when I needed it transported for some work to be done when I converted to EFI and not due to a breakdown. If everything is done right, it should never seee a tow truck!

Welcome.  :)

As Dimitri said. Upgrades

Aside from fluids, general maintenance and tuning.

Might want to start with suspension, steering and bushes.

Drive it for a while, until the car tells you what needs improving  ;)

Oh. And PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!

Hey everyone , thanks for the welcome.

Sorry for the slow response I've been away camping.

Hey Matty , what model do you own ?

Hey Triptych , mines currently in transport also. Got a long....long couple of weeks to go.  :)

As for budget , as Zedman and luvemfast point out , my initial priorities are going to be dealing with the essentials like fluids and tuning as well as getting the car on the road. I have to do some electrical work and take care of some sill rust for the RWC , but after that I'll be spending the next 6-12 months slowly replacing components to the point were I have completely replaced any bushes/rubbers, seals and bearings that need it. After that I will start looking at modifications  ;D

As for overall budget , a large chunk has gone into my house , I must say I was tempted to buy a 20K plus model which already had extensive work done to it , but  half the reason I wanted to buy this car was because I wanted to actually be involved in its resurrection ( not that its a basket case ). Getting to know every inch of a car is half the fun  :)

Cheers luvemfast , I definitely will be documenting the entire process , I have already created a folder to store all my receipts and will be buying an external harddrive shortly to store all the pictures.

Cheers Matty , just had a look at your write up , very nice !. Where did you end up sourcing your engine ? , and how long have you had your zed ?

Thanks Peter , I certainly will enjoy. I saw in the Events section about the Toowoomba run , hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be in a position to do the same.

Found it right here on the forums A few months back. Come to think I've had it for 8 months or so now I think. Are you planning to run full rego on your zed or concessional??

I'll be going for full rego , as I will be using it as my daily drive.

Wow , just realised looking at the photo's on your write-up again , that I am sure I have seen your car before. It was parked on the side of the road near the Hooper centre on Hume St ( as shown in one of your photo's ). I can tell you I drove past at about 12:10pm, as I do every day on my way to lunch, and at the time you had the bonnet up. I had my 350 at the time.

The funny thing is, when you asked if I had maybe seen your car around , that I actually thought of this incident , but thought it might be a bit cheeky to suggest that it was yours I saw on the side of the road broken down  :)

sweet, id only asked cause if you were going to get consessional rego i could introduce you to the car club if you want or still can if your keen im not sure if you have heard of it its call T.R.I.C.K. every one and any one is welcome as long as you behave and well not act like a dick :)

yep i was broken down that day near the hooper center alright haha :(

Cheers Matty , joining a local car club sounds like a good idea.  Give me a few weeks to get the car sorted out and I'll come along to a meeting. I assume they list meeting details on their Facebook page ?

yeah mate they send of an email for the following months events and put them up on facebook closer to the day as a reminder. but when you get the old girl sorted let us know :)

• 2 months later...

Hi All ,

Well it's been a long time between posts , nearly 3 months in fact, so I thought I should hop online and update my current situation. Between Work,Life and "the car" it's been a crazy few months.

Well , obviously, I have my new toy. And I will start by saying that I am very happy with the overall condition of the car. Even though I never got to see the car in person it is exactly as described by the previous owner. No nasty surprises or hidden secrets. Thank you Alex.

It took me about 3-4 weeks to get the car registered, nothing major, a little rust and some minor fixups.

So hows the car going ?....... Well a picture is work a thousand words they say , so I have posted a few ( hopefully , new to this ). Now I assure you it did turn up with an engine  ;D

I know I posted above , somewhat foolishly, that I didn't intend on initially spending a lot of money. Well.....

When I got the car the headers had a small hole in them and a leak at the head , so I thought I might as well replace them. And hey, while I'm there the carbies probably need a freshen up also , well... while I have them off I might as well have someone pull the entire engine out and give it a complete rebuild. I mean it's only logical ( Well that's what I told the better half )  ;D

All up I drove the car for 3 days , and have spent the last 4 weeks waiting for the workshop to begin work ( they assure me they will begin in a couple of weeks ). I have decided to keep the original engine. I know many out there will say, replace it with an L28! , but honestly I'm happy to keep the L26 , if all I wanted was a more powerful car I certainly wouldn't have sold the 350 to buy a 260. But with that said I am going to get the compression increased, a mild cam installed and maybe some headwork ( budget permitting ). ::)

I would also like to say , Great site people !, I have spend the last few months trawling over as much info as possible. In fact I haven't had to ask any questions because most have already been answered.  :) , well that was until I pulled my electric fuel pump off this morning. So I will post a question in the relevant forum shortly.

p.s. - I have since fixed my number plate mount. It wasn't until I took a photo that I realised the mounting  tabs were bent.

post-6322-144023725491_thumb.jpg

post-6322-1440237255_thumb.jpg

post-6322-144023725504_thumb.jpg

Hi Matty ,

Not a lot see at the moment. Wheeled her out for some work today.

Test fitted a new radiator. Nothing fancy but it will do the job. As you can see the old one had seen better days.

I have cleaned the front up a little. New bumper , repainted the grille. Also removed the light covers for now . I think I prefer the look without them , but will have to get the screws dealt with.

Also replaced the fuel pump , I am now certain the old one was having issues. The increase in volume is significant.

All I need now is a motor.  :)

post-6322-144023726259_thumb.jpg

post-6322-144023726264_thumb.jpg

post-6322-144023726268_thumb.jpg

post-6322-144023726278_thumb.jpg

looks like a solid buy mate.

dunno what you are on about with the radiator but throw an egg in and some stop leak and she'll be sweet!!

lol yeah a motor would help haha, ive just got to get my triples tuned when i have the time (READ MONEY) to do so and mine will be operational.

if you need a hand or anything give us a yell, always happy and keen to help where i can.

Cheers mate. I may have to take you up on that offer. So....how strong are you ? , lol

As you can see, I had a shiny new part arrive in the mail today. At the moment I am destroying  my hands trying to remove the rotor  :D

The plan at this stage is to lock-out the distributor and use a programmable MSD 6al-2 controller to set the timing curve.

By tuning your webers , I assume you mean rejetting ? , that's going to be the one thing I'll find the most daunting. There's a lot of info out there , but it appears to be a trial and error process.

post-6322-144023726303_thumb.jpg

post-6322-144023726308_thumb.jpg

not that strong robert but beers usually make the best of a bad situation now haha

nice, i never thought about going down that road. but the tuning abilities would be plenty full i havent had much to do with the MSD gear but from having a gander on the website it seems like a logical choice for an upgrade.

well possibly the whole shooting match, cant get it to idle unless your applying some revs. i gave it a tinker but im sure i didnt make it any better or worse. some have the gift im just not one of them.

Yes .. the magic power of beer should never be underestimated..haha

As for car tuning, I have spent many an hour cursing and swearing at various cars , to only end up wheeling it to the nearest mechanic ( don't get me started on lawn mowers and line trimmers  >:(  )

That's why I intend on getting the workshop to get everything up and running. Sure , I am cheating myself of the satisfaction of a job well done , but I just want to drive my car at this stage  ;D

I'll have plenty of time to play later.

Do you have access to the basics , like a gunnerson coloutune plug and airflow meter ?  If not I would be happy to lend you mine.

yeah im thinking its safer and eaiser (quicker too) to get someone to suss it out for me.

ive been meaning to buy one of the colour tune plugs but ive never have. but as far as my car goes it doesnt because ive current have the dash out doing a light up grade and might get it recovered too.

all ways something to do on the old girls but