Sign in to follow this  
Whoray

5 speed rear housing - Trick in locating rod in selector forks

Replacing rear housing after new nut on 5th gear, having trouble getting rod back into selector forks.

Probably 38 years since I have done this and that was on a 2000 Roadster, have tried for some time without success.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

In front of the gearstick holder, there is, in the alloy housing, a 5mm diam x 30mm long through pin with circlip on one side.

Ease off circlip, yes it will fly 27 feet, tap out pin.

This enables the gear selector rod to move further into and out off the ext housing.

Hold housing, in one hand, hold gearstick reciever yoke in other, twist yoke in anti clockwise, slide ext housing over rear cluster, but not lined up, slip the gear selector rod into its hole in centre plate, rotate housing to and fro, ease it into the two locating dowels, push home.

Look inside gearstick yoke, you know you have got it if the selector rod is centered.

Oh, and fit 30mm pin and circlip, i recommend a dab of silicon whatever on the circlip, as well as the circlip to the pin jolding gearstick in place.

Ease off circlip, yes it will fly 27 feet, tap out pin.

The voice of experience! :)

Finally got back to gearbox, had already taken that pin out Jason. Was holding selector rod to side of housing instead of centre. Had tried centre before but not able to find spot.

Eventually found spot, tried a few times before using silicone. Thanks to Jason for replies.

That's the thing with Jason.

He'll answer the question................... Then you can't shut the old bugger up!!!!!  :P

So when'll the car be running again?

Good question, when will you be fit enough to give me a hand? Preferably 2 .

Good question, when will you be fit enough to give me a hand? Preferably 2 .

gold....