My 1977 260Z 2 seater, RB25DET converted (lots of pics, be warned)

sco_aus

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well for the last few days I have been preparing and cutting the guards for the flares. I found a fair amount of rust in the inner guard, but the outer has been previously repaired and bogged so thats one less worry.  I might have to look into that while im at it. I have installed the front flares (temp until i paint them) and the gent who welded my suspension will be welding my rear guards back together for me and also installing the nutserts as his friend has a tool for them for a good price.

I trial fitted the wheels etc today and i will be able to lower the car even more now, there was a pretty big gap between the guards and wheels :D

I will get pics up asap, but the car goes to the workshop this afternoon to get a run in tune so it wont be till after it returns from there and being welded too.

I also had it running for a minute yesterday to make sure there were no oil, water, intake or exhaust leaks and bingo, none.

Cant wait to drive it again

Not long to go for Tassie now Scott. I hope you are on the home stretch now. Make sure you don't lowere the car too much for the big trip. Some of the roads you might bottom out if we are travelling at a fast speed, especially with 2 people in the car. Some roads have a few bumps etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after so much effort to get this thing ready for next week, I have discovered my Power FC is rooted and the car cant be driven down there.  So next in line is an Autronic and total rewiring.  Also found out the bottom radiator tank has a leak, so alloy radiator too.

• 3 months later...

Well I have finally gotten off my lazy butt and started doing things.  Today I fitted the front flares with a lot of success owed to Austin Hoke's tutorial. 

I am also coming upon a reasonable amount of money in June, so I will get the brakes sorted out and an alloy radiator (PWR 4 core(V8 supercar)) fitted.  If money still permitts, I will get a full CAMS roll cage done too.

Here are some pics of the front flares.  I really need to get some spacers :P

Image013-1.jpg

Image012-1.jpg

Image011-1.jpg

Image010-1.jpg

Image009-1.jpg

Image007-1.jpg

Image006-1.jpg

Image005-1.jpg

Sorry, a lot of pics, I know.

Looks good :D

When you go to put on the back flares, make sure you take out the wiring harness on the drivers side so you don't drill through it like i stupidly did! lol, and remember, its alot easier to remount them higher than it is to remount them lower...

Also, instead of spaces wouldn't you be able to get new outter rim sections? i think its about $150 each, but since most jap cars seem to run rims of a similar width to what it looks like you already have at the front, you could always just leave the front as it is and just make the rear ones fat :)

Thanks.  When we re welded the rear inner and outers, we moved the ahrness so it would burn.  So I will double check they are out of the way before I do though.

Yeh, I could do rim outers, but here in Canberra, finding anyone to help with Simmons wheels at a decent rate is like finding rocking horse shit.  The rear wheels are a bit wider and I do have rubber that is a bit too wide on the front (made the mistake of trusting the tyre guy in Seymour :( ).  I figure, I will either get some bolt on spacers that will fit over the hub or eventually get some different rim outers.

Thanks for the tips

Talk to the guys at Jax on Gladstone street. I think his name is Milan. They used to be part of the wheel factory that used to be in Queanbeyan..

I think Sulio could be up this weekend, we should swing past your place...bit of a photo-shoot. geez now you have to finish the flares !! ;D

lol, know anyone with a nutsert tool? I do, but I dont know if it could all be done by then. Im out of town untill Sunday anyways :(

Oh and he isnt bringing his Z :( :(

Jax aren't as good as the wheel factory ever were, they even send their wheels away to be repaired. :(:(:(

Hi Guys,

Yer I was actually hoping to drop by during the course of this week as I'm in the North West of Vic up to Mildura this week.

It's turning into a long week so I might put it off til the weekend or at some point later if that's ok with you Chris re holding on to those parts!? Will talk to you on the phone at some point tommorrow.

Scoaus did you get a copy of the Tas DVD I left for you with Craig?

Sulio

OMG..whats with all the  :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( Now I know Sulio isnt bringing his zed to canberra, but no need for all the sadness.

Yeah my missus owns a nutsert , she uses when on my **** when I spend too much time with the zed and not with the family  :'(

hahaha, OMG!!!!

I just might have to take you up on the Nutsuert offer Zedman.  I just can't justify the amount of money to buy one, just to use it once.  I'll Pm you.

Sulio, I have just chased Craig for it, so I should have it in the next week.  I have been busy as a really busy thing.

• 1 month later...

Well, I still havnt gotten around to doing the rear flares, I have never used bog and I don't want to learn :P, gonna have to.  In the mean time, instead of wasting time, I have stripped all sound deadening and carpets out.  I wanted to see if I had any rust, lucky me, barely anything.

So out came the drill bitt attachment for wire brushes, some Satin Black Rustguard paint and on it went.  I am going to do about 3 layers in the boot and 4 or 5 in the foot wells just cos they get used more.

Here are the results:

Before:

DSCF0007.jpg

After:

DSCF0010.jpg

Before:

DSCF0004-1.jpg

After:

DSCF0009.jpg

Before:

DSCF0005.jpg

After:

DSCF0011.jpg

It makes the rest of the interior look shit though :D  Meh, its gonna be raced, not shown off.

i see what you did twisting the gear boot around 30 degrees. Nice !!  ;D ;D ;D

Nah in seriousness looking really flat and race inspired. I assume therefore no dynamat or any of that sort of ish?

Nah, it will remain like this unless I get any problems, but I doubt it.  Hehe, I just couldnt be bothered removing the bloody thing, so I lifted it :D  I have just moved a few different things out of the way, like seat belts and a few wires, its not really meant to be that pretty, just wanted to make sure my foot wouldnt fall through a rusty floor at 200k/ph... :D