Sign in to follow this  
vramjee91

Starter motor and flywheel issue

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if there was a difference in the starter motors of 240z's and 280zx's.

I currently have a 280zx box with a l26 engine and 240z flywheel and starter motor. There seems to be a clashing noise and I think it's the flywheel and starter motor are clashing.

Any help of ideas as to why this is the case?

Thanks guys

What happens sometimes is the teeth either wear or break at one particular spot where the starter pinion contacts the flywheel ring gear. Try and push the car a little in gear so the flywheel on the motor moves off that worn spot and then try the starter again. If it rotates, that's your problem.

from my experience eather the starter has warn teeth or your ring in stuffed if it the ring you can change over in about five hour with a little bit of help and a lot sweat and tears.

Bruce PS I no mechanic  and I did it

To answer the original question - there can be differences in the starters - the 280ZX had a reduction gear starter in the US (for ECU voltage stabilisation I hear) - I have one of these in my car. BUT the physical starter-flywheel engagement is unchanged. it was not uncommon to see 4-cyl starters on the 6-cyl motors because they were smaller/shorter and therefore easier to remove when you had too.

The issue you are experiencing is unlikely due to a mismatch of parts, more a wear or failure problem - as highlighted by others.

Hey guys,

Cheers for all your help, I figured it out!!

It was a fault with the relay and the accessory wire. All sorted now.

Thanks again