FI SU ITB - Pretty Cool Looking

gav240z

• Administrators

Hey everyone,

I just came across this and it looks pretty cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240z-510-260z-Performance-EFI-SU-Throttle-Bodies_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33558QQihZ019QQitemZ290149325010QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://www.extrudabody.com/

Definately a cool looking product, I'd be interested in how it performs.

There's some videos too on the product pages.

http://www.extrudabody.com/TechInfo/Installations.html

nice find ! My dad is thinking about the MGb stuff but about the zed...

The throttle linkages and all that look really nice and the idea is great. I think however that it probably would end up being more expensive than a triple weber setup ?

Rb 30/25 is the safer option for me  ;D

• Administrators

From an economical point of view yes it's expensive to do anything with the L-series, but just listen to when he gives the Green machine a rev :).

I am considering an engine swap into my Z over the stroker but I am hoping some time travelling with give me a clearer mind set. As Warren and others have said, since when has building a Z been about following budgets lol.

There are some other FI kits on the market. I know that http://www.efihardware.com/ has a cool looking kit too.

I have set of the EFIHardware and I just need the body of the car back so I can put these in - don't hold your breath as the car is a long term project (10 years now) so one day I will get it going and put a sound clip/video on for you all.

gav : i hear you man . That green machine is awesome. But then it should after you read the specs of the rest of the engine. I probably could live with 450 hp at the rear wheels.

Thanks for the heads up on the other mob.

I * MUST * NOT * BUY * THESE  :P

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

I know its an old topic but if anyone was interested in putting together a individual throttle body setup for a Zed from scratch, if they wanted a rough idea on price, my setup cost around $5000 to put together. When you add it all up, it sounds alot! Mind you I wired up the Wolf3D on my own after a previous installation; the autoelec took some major shortcuts which costed me 12 months of my time and around $1300 in parts and 3 dyno sessions to find out what was wrong....dammit. If anyone needs more details, I'm happy to answer!

I know its an old topic but if anyone was interested in putting together a individual throttle body setup for a Zed from scratch, if they wanted a rough idea on price, my setup cost around $5000 to put together. When you add it all up, it sounds alot! Mind you I wired up the Wolf3D on my own after a previous installation; the autoelec took some major shortcuts which costed me 12 months of my time and around $1300 in parts and 3 dyno sessions to find out what was wrong....dammit. If anyone needs more details, I'm happy to answer!

Im very interested to see your set up. I have the ITB, inletmanifold, injectors and fuel rail. Im in the process of buying other bits for it. Could you give us a run down on what you've done ;)

• Moderators

Yeah, I'll have to find out how to put the article together and post it! Here are some quick details for u eddii;

If you already have those parts, you just need ECU, fuel pressure reg (I used a 280ZX one) Fuel pump and surge tank. Bosch VL turbo pumps are more than adequate. Also sensors; Throttle posi, air temp and water temp. I used a throttle posi sensor from a VT crummydore. VT-VY? should be ok. My other sensors came from the Wolf3d comp I bought. Oh, try to get a thermostat housing (in excellent non corroded condition) from a 280ZX to install the water temp sensor. If you want to keep using your original water temp gauge in the dash.

The best thing to get are good quality linkages. Mine are from EFI hardware. Coz he makes the throttle bodies, they all went together easily.. If you live locally, you are more than welcome to come and see it in person...might be easier..or next time there is a mass meeting.. I was once in the aus300zx club and they held tech days when everyone would meet and do little mods on each others cars or get advice. Was a good idea.

thanks for your advice zedman, i'll look forward to your article. It's a tad bit hard to see you in person cause im from Gladstone QLD!!! Lol, I also have the efi hardware ITB's so my setup should be exactly thesame as yours!, let me know when u get the article together;)

cheers

eddii

Just another take on the ITBs - a snap of mine on my Alfa, taking the cheap option (read: I've probably spent at most half the $ of what Zedman240 has on his, but a lot of hours).

Using Suzuki GSX-r 750 throttle bodies and a Megasquirt ecu.  Can't beat that sound.

post-42-144023480705_thumb.jpg

post-42-144023481113_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

HERE ARE PICS OF THE L28 set-up.....off the website.... LOOKS VERY NEAT..

I have one question how does the engine know what airflow it is getting with this set-up?

I am guessing it has something to do with the (vacum line??) manifold connected ???

Here are the specs i found for this set-up on the website.

Engine: 2.8l, stock internals, 3" mandrel bent exhaust

ITBs:  6 45mm Extrudabody Individual throttle bodies with a Weber DCOE-style intake manifold

ECU:  Injection Logic, closed loop, electronic ignition

Mileage: Over 25mpg in over 25,000 miles of testing on Extrudabody ITBs

Estimated Horsepower: ~145 at the wheels

Full specs can be found here:

http://www.extrudabody.com/TechInfo/what_you_need.html

This is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOobACoLiL0

post-930-144023490464_thumb.jpg

post-930-144023490468_thumb.jpg

I wrote them a letter asking how much etc. This was the reply.

Andrew:

About $1600 includes everything from the Filters to the Head minus Injectors, it includes the Jack Shaft Linkage system, and a Manifold I have here on hand, it's a Mikuni Short Runner Manifold that has been set-up for Show Purposes, and looks Trick! Needs to be ported on the head side to get the most Flow out of the manifold/ITB's.

Your Stock ECU really needs to be replaced with a Mega Squirt or Other Aftermarket ECU, the stock MAF system is pretty restrictive and not a good match for ITB's! The MS ECU will allow Alpha-N/MAP blend, where below 1200rpm the ECU ignores the MAP sensor, and delivers fuel based on TPS position. Once above 1200rpm it looks at TPS and MAP sensor to deliver the needed Fuel requirements! The Multiple Vacuum Pulses from each ITB will often cause the ECU to chase itself as the Map Sensor fluctuates from the 6 Vacuum Pulses!

We only have the 1 manifold on hand. If you have a Weber Based manifold already, subtract $250 from the Above Price for a Total before Shipping!

Hope this Helps, and thanks for your interest in Extrudabody!

Just let me know if we can help you!

Kevin

• Moderators

HERE ARE PICS OF THE L28 set-up.....off the website.... LOOKS VERY NEAT..

I have one question how does the engine know what airflow it is getting with this set-up?

I am guessing it has something to do with the (vacum line??) manifold connected ???

Here are the specs i found for this set-up on the website.

Full specs can be found here:

http://www.extrudabody.com/TechInfo/what_you_need.html

This is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOobACoLiL0

The ECU works out load by throttle position versus RPM. So if your throttle position is 90% and RPM is about 2500, it knows you're hard on the gas and need more fuel! That's the advantage of the ITB's, get rid of that restrictive air flow meter! Rather than measuring the air going into the engine, it works it out by seeing what the other sensors can tell it (the ECU). Hope that helps!