Sourcing new genuine Nissan part in Oz?

Riceburner

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to buy genuine Nissan parts in Melbourne. I've tried to get some very basic items from Nissan during the rebuild in the last 4months only to be told NLA. The story I get is 'since the tsunami there not making any old stuff anymore'.

I tried getting a genuine 280zx thermostat today, can't get much more basic than that and I still got the same story. WTF!

I've always used Brighton Nissan cause previously they've got me parts that other dealers said NLA.

Anyone had problems like this?

What parts are you trying to get hold of?

The Tsunami story is a bit of bs. Probably accurate first 12 months after the event but not now. Plus the manufacturers already moved a lot of production to other countries when they went to the "Mass Vehicle Production" model, which allowed more manufacturing to be done out of Japan.

Spread your net wider and try National and International suppliers. I got most new stuff from USA and used parts from this forum.

this is a sad state of affairs.......

talk about customer service.......

they ashould just list their stock online, then at least you know what, where when and how much list at least....

then get your crash repair buddy with an account to order!!!

lol.

so much for doing their job for them, hard to get good workes these days...unfortunately.

nat0

My understanding is that all the old parts are 'looked up' in a bunch of old A4 binders. New parts monkies come in and only know how to search the computer data base, which doesn't list the parts. I watched Trevor at Brighton Nissan many times and he always used the binders to find pics and part numbers.

You HAVE to walk in there with a part number, then they'll go oh, there it is, i found it!

Anyone got a parts catalogue with part numbers? Maybe we should start on the forum? It's only going to get harder.

Your lucky, my local guy's didnt even know what a R200 was!!

Bahahahaha! That's bad, sales/money going out the door.

I know they are not in OZ but I have had better luck actually purchasing parts from the US and at better prices even after freight is factored in.

Try these guys, I have bought a few things from them and they usually arrive within 2 weeks.

http://www.nissanofchesapeake.com/

Yeah I have used him quite a bit recently. Like Scott said, I've found heaps of bits on eBay. Even some rare bit like the nismo short steering arms. I did get my LD water pump from Brighton Nissan when the U.S said NLA.

Sometimes it's nice to be able to get a simple part in your hands in a day or two. Sadly I'm starting to think those days are gone  :-\

Least they are consistent with their poor customer service. I went to a Nissan dealership in Canberra once and they were as useless as an ashtray on a bike. And rude too. You would think they appreciate and respect people who own their premier classic cars.... But I have found like others have said if you go in with a part number and idea of what your chasing, you can basically do their job for them!

Move to Adelaide and go to Unley Nissan and ask for jim or mark.

Guys are brilliant. Never to hardfor them to look up or chase the part.

Also all their microfische for old cars have been digitised.

Not only old cars but they hunt down rare japanese model only parts.

Not once did they come back saying its too old or not Australian market.

Only disapoitment i do get if the parts is NLA.

Thats after they contact Japan.

The other day i rang and gave a list for l28et rebuild parts. 3hrs later prices,lead time and whats available in Aus. Rest was 1week wait ex japan.

Also s15 style A parts a special autech edition silvia. And the guys hunt it all down. Though was damn exy.

I find it disapointing when i hear other nissan are hopeless.

I will try get a copy of the parts catalogue for s30 and s130. That way we can find our own parts and give the retarded nissan dealership the numbers.

Hehe....In Canberra , you go to nissan on melrose drive, walk down the dingy alley way on the left, turn right, walk 3 paces where you will find a door that says Dry cleaner above it....open the dodgy glass door and you will find the black hole known as "spare parts" for nissan. Once inside , ask or Fred. Fred is the zed guru.  8)

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

Thread revival I know, but I've seen several topics around finding parts and I can't help but think Oz S30z enthusiasts are paying over the odds for genuine parts from the US (eBay + postage is killer)

Here is 1 example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-240Z-NEW-IN-BOX-EARLY-OEM-OIL-PRESSURE-SENDER-UNIT-NOS-RARE-/271895467267

$238.00 + $75 USD shipping... Madness. I can get the same part for around $40....

So here is what I propose....

1. Every time you have a lackluster experience with a Nissan parts counter person in Australia document it here. Name the dealer you called and the part you were after...If the sales clerk was particularly rude you can also name them here, but I think we should just stick with dealership names rather than individuals. Sometimes individuals are disincentivised to help through lackluster management folk ;).

2. Once we've built up a list of 'poor experiences' we can launch a twitter campaign :).

https://twitter.com/nissan_aus

I couldn't find Richard Emery's Twitter Account, maybe someone else can?

http://www.nissan.com.au/Discover/News/2014/February/21/NISSAN-AUSTRALIA-ANNOUNCES-RICHARD-EMERY-AS-NEW-MANAGING-DIRECTOR-AND-CEO

But we can Tweet to their Nissan Australia page.

Surely if we are vocal enough about keeping Nissan's heritage cars on the road we can get upstairs (management) to start kicking downstairs (parts divisions) to emphasise the importance of helping customers with older cars source parts are reasonable prices (no eBay seller markup).

I'm sure they could use Auszcar folks in their marketing campaigns, it could only really be a positive for Nissan.

1 thing about say Porsche or other marque's is that they look after all their model ranges (new and old) and their customer base. At least much better than Nissan appears to. Which is sad really, we need to let the higher up's know that this is a problem. After all Trevor at Brighton Nissan was apparently very good (I ordered through him in the past).

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=1736.0

But he's moved on and we need someone else just as enthusiastic to pick up where he left off.

Rang Blackburn Nissan a few weeks ago to price a thermastat and timing belt tensioner spring for a 300ZX Z31. The "service " guy I was put through to seemed very agitated when I advised the car was a 1986 model .Reminded him that this was an Australian delivered car and that I had bought many parts there before. He said "f..k " at least twice while looking things up on system prior to suggesting I go to Bursons or Repco. As usual I ended up sourcing parts from the U.S.

• Administrators

He said "f..k " at least twice while looking things up on system prior to suggesting I go to Bursons or Repco.

LOL maybe he had to boot up Windows 95 to run the software that the parts catalogue works with? That would make me swear too and tell you to go to Bursons or Repco.

Good feedback and another great example of customer service at Nissan.

• Administrators

Gav, Trevor is at ferntree gully nissan now. Easily the best person to deal with when I was restoring my 240z.

Great, but is Trevor the only person who can actually help us?

• Moderators

Great, but is Trevor the only person who can actually help us?

I worked as a Toyota Parts Interpreter for a number of years in the 90's and even then cars from the 70's presented challenges, consider this

- The dealer needs the reference material and it takes up valuable space (see image)

- The staff need to know how to use the older reference material. These days you just enter the VIN # and the EPC removes all but the correct parts. The EPC also handles supersessions.

- A lot of interpreting for older cars requires knowledge only gained from years of experience.

- It also takes a lot more time than interpreting mordern parts.

So, the dealer needs to have an "Old School" interpreter and give him / her the freedom to invest time in chasing old parts for a small return on that time.

Given that Z's disapeared out of showrooms 35 years ago and normally 7 years after that parts demand dries up. You would be looking for an interpreter with at least 30 years experience.

You are more likely to find all of the above in a country dealership.

So Yes, Trevor is a rare, valuable and unfortunately disappearing breed of Parts Guy  :(

Cheers

PB

post-3930-144023799253_thumb.jpg

I recently (early 2015) purchased a new speedometer pinion housing from Nissan Windsor spare parts (Brisbane). I dealt with Brenden Bretschneider, who was extremely helpful, knew his way around these older catologues and was able to find me what I was after without me knowing the part number. Definitely recommend. Hope no issues with me posting his details :/

P: 07 3866 9742

E:  bbretschneider@nmg.com.au

• Administrators

I recently (early 2015) purchased a new speedometer pinion housing from Nissan Windsor spare parts (Brisbane). I dealt with Brenden Bretschneider, who was extremely helpful, knew his way around these older catologues and was able to find me what I was after without me knowing the part number. Definitely recommend. Hope no issues with me posting his details :/

P: 07 3866 9742

E:  bbretschneider@nmg.com.au

It doesn't have to be name and shame, it can be name and recommend :).

If we build up a list of good dealers and contact names we can turn this thread into a sticky as in who to deal with in Nissan Australia.

FYI

In the last month I have purchased a few items from Lennock Motors in Canberra. The only spare parts guy to deal with re Z cars is Fred. He owns (I think) 3 Z cars, with one being a very early girl and he knows the cars and knows how to get the parts. It took a few weeks but what I wanted (mostly fasteners and rear suspension and drive shaft nuts etc) was all available as promised.

Jeff