NDSOC Drive day.

Gordo

The back road from Eildon to Jamo forms 4 stages for Targa High Country on day two (Sunday) being 2 x 2 in reverse, one being just over 30 klms starting a third of the way in towards Jamo and the other at the end of the road before you come out of the hills, just before Jamo, is about 12k's. The 30k stage is awesome because you have a twisty start, then the middle is very long and straight and f'ing fast (>200kph & on the rev limiter in 5th) and then twisty again for the end. It was very hot this year so after the 30k stage you were totally stuffed but the roads driven at flat out are just totally awesome.  The third stage also done in reverse is the back road from Eildon to Alexandra that runs towards the Eildon boat harbour which although only about 10ks is like a miniture version of the above 30k stage. The only problem with the Jamo road on weekends is that you can get cyclists doing the stage as I encountered when I was doing my pre-Targa recce to check my pace notes. I'm not sure who shat their pants first them or me when I found them on the wrong side of the road coming down the hill and me going up it!!! Luckily I missed them. As a kid I can remember driving along the road when it was unsealed, and now racing on it - who would have known. I'm glad you enjoyed it Gordo - I look forward to doing this stage again soon, perhaps with you before next year's Targa? 

Thanks Graham,that's a good insight into how good this piece of road is, I would gladly like to do this in April May as a drive day, up for lunch and back, lets leave it open at the moment and set a date later. It will just be the regulars so no need to advertise, talk soon, regards Gordon.