Sign in to follow this  
vramjee91

Gears not changing

Hey guys,

I have put a 280zx gearbox onto an L26, I filled everything up (Clutch, engine, gearbox etc)

However when I try to change gears, the gears wont change. I am not sure why this is the case. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I used the clutch bearing holder (mounts onto the fork) from a 240z gearbox.

Am I missing anything?? Is this the case??  Help please?

Has the clutch been bled?. Is the slave cylinder piston pushing against the fork?

Was the fork installed correctly and bearing greased? Sounds like its not disengaging.

what does does clutch pedal feel like ? can you change gears with the engine off? you will need to elaborate a lot more to get an answer, might just need to bleed the clutch have you done that?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I have bled the clutch a number of times, I can change the gears when the car is off. The pedal feels a lot more resistant now that I have bled the clutch.

The clutch fork was greased, and the pin moves, however im not sure if it moves far enough to be able to change the gears.

Anymore info you guys need?

get a second person to operate the clutch, pop under neath and look at the position of the fork arm it should be fairly close to touching the gearbox when the clutch is fully depressed,

You can also wind out the piston on the clutch slave cylinder with pliers to allow more pivot on the clutch fork.

Clutch fork throwout bearing carrier are different heights.

If you cannot introduce an adjystable slave pushrod, you are going to need to R&R the box, either fit a taller carrier, or machine a spacer ring to project the thrust bearing out further, about 3-4 mm will do it.

Cheers guys for all the info!

I defiantly think it is the bearing collar, as it was from an early 240z box

The question now is, can I extend the pin on the slave cylinder? if so how?

Or where can i get a 280zx collar??

Cheers guys again, and the oil i used was general transmission oil from autobarn

You can just find a bolt the right length and linish the ends so they are round.

Did you check the weight of the oil? Looks like you have identified the problem though.

You can just find a bolt the right length and linish the ends so they are round.

Did you check the weight of the oil? Looks like you have identified the problem though.

Yeh,it was the recommended one from the transmission fluid manual.

Thanks tho