Sign in to follow this  
JJ260z

Konis

I have a pair of konis 8641 1060 sports

I've been told they fit the rear of the 260z 2+2

Except there 100mm shorter then the ones I've pulled out.

Do these need to be modified to fit.

I've read the for 300zx is this true

If they need to be modified how do you do it

These were bought brand new.

what is your ride height like?

Standard?

Place a 100mm spacer inside the strut leg under the koni insert.

Lowered?

Place a 100mm spacer inside the strut leg between the top of the koni insert and the gland nut.

im sure someone will come up with a much more indepth answer than me....

For a spacer, just used some exhaust tube that fits in the strut leg.

Perhaps someone a little more knowledgable than me wants to chime in?

100mm seems to be a big gap?

Are these the right inserts?

It's what I was sold to fit a 260z

From the Suspention wearhouse.

I'm starting to have my doubts.

I'm slighty pissed off tbh I was very clear with the guy on the phone about what was required

Yes, they are the right inserts.

You simply need to accurately measure the difference in height.  Then cut a peice of thick sided tube or solid rod that length and drop in in the strut tube before you put the insert in.  It is important that after the gland nut is torqued that there is absolutly no movement of the insert.

No they don't need to be modified at all.  For a 240 strut they need a little sanding of the paint to fit, but not for the bigger 260 struts.  You can fill the strut tubes with auto trans oil (obviously after you put the insert in) to help with heat dispersal.

100mm does seem a lot though.  Unless the 260 struts are a lot longer than 240's, it should really only about 24mm for the front and 57 for the back (from memory - don't quote me).  Put the strut together, push the insert to the bottom of the strut, mark the insert shaft with a fine point marker and then slid it up to the top (make sure the piston rod doesn't move) and then mark it again.  This will give you a pretty good 'guide' to how long the spacer needs to be.

Here is what mine looked like in a 240Z strut:  http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.105.html

If you change your mind and decide to go with standard inserts, let me now.  I still need one pair of inserts for my project  ;)

My guess is they have given you front inserts and not rears. There is around 80 to 85 mm difference in length's from front to rear. You need to take them back and get the correct inserts . But I would take a measurement of the inside length of the strut and take your gland nut with you when you return them. Koni make a wide range to lengths you should be able to get something much closer to what you need and they should be able to supply spacers if required. 

FWIW

There is less oil volume in those Koni's, they will get hotter quicker, there will be higher volume of oil passing through valve, causing higher wear, and need to rebuild.

It will lose its efficiency.

Do not use thin type tube as a spacer, it will crush , ie exhaust pipe.

Some thick wall tube OD turned to fit ID of strut tube, and some hardened steel washers as packers.

If you are going to use these, ensure the stroke lenght is the same as the insert/wet leg coming out of your struts.

I'm thinking the guy in the Suspension shop has palmed off something that WILL fit, but is incorrect, just to get rid of them.

Phone up a different suspension shop, explain the dilemma and ask what part number THEY would suggest be a better fit.

I use Koni's in a couple of race cars, and the big diameter Bilsteins in my Z race car, they all needed a bit of tweaking to make fit, but definately not 100 mm of packing.

^^

See all that awesome advice???

I was in the park, as much as a spectator is in the grounds watching from the grandstage....

But seriously, listen to these guys, im going from memory of what i have read before, these guys know from experience...

Well according to koni there are the correct ones and just need spacers.

There recommendation is and I quote

It sounds a bit back yardish but that's what we recommend

They also recommend tranny fluid to help dispurse the heat.

I'm actually having the spacers machine made not cheap!!

Ill see what happens but two garages so far have also confirmed they are correct after bit of research one was a restoration garage that has done this before and where I'm getting the spacer from.

For spacers, I'm sure you have an aluminum supplies place nearby that will have thick walled tubing; I have access to some here that's at least 4-6mm thick. Must be a heap cheaper than a machined set?

Yeah look the luck I have I'd rather get it done once done right

If I have them machined at least thats something I don't have to worry about.

Thay are the ones i have in my z, the spacers are different lenghts in front and rear.

The shocks were slightly machined to fit into the spacers without movement. (should have taken pictures..)

I would recomend speaking with Dazzed who put mine in.

John

Ps. great ride after they were put in.

I'd call top performance in vermont, victoria, I belive they are the koni importer for Australia, and I know one of the guys there rally's a 240z, so they should definitely know what's needed

sure.......

just answer pm i sent you so you know where to get them......

i cut some new ones, as i wasnt sure if i knew where they were.

but you can deburr them, and bring your shocks along too to check fitup.

and a strut tube if you have it out of the car....

whar about you do you reside?

nat0