Anyone recommend a car cover?

thriller

Hi guys.

A new-to me Z is on the way soon, unfortunately due to the council being a generally useless sack of @%$&&#&$, the house (most importantly bigger garage) that the parents are planning to build, will probably not be done until I'm finished uni, have a real job, and a very real mortgage of my own hah.

Anyway for the mean time, the new-old gal will be spending most of the time outside (something silly about Mums vw being more expensive therefore requires undercover parking blah blah...  ???). The car won't be a daily, and certainly won't be driven in the wet (have an S13 for that  ;) ).

Obviously I want to take the best care that I can. Normally I would assume a heavy duty car cover should be enough, however we get a few pretty cold nights in winter with frosty mornings, fog, pissing horizontal rain, etc, so wondering if I could lay something down underneath to try and minimize any moisture that would creep up? It's concrete though so I don't think it should be too bad.

Also thinking of applying lanolin/fish oil to the underside area as well as nooks and crannies where moisture and condensation would seem most likely to get into. Then reapplying every 6 months or whatever the bottle says. I think lanolin is preferred over fish oil ??

So in short:

-Waterproof car cover that will also keep the heat down in summer. Obviously a decent fit for a Z would be nice.

-Can I, what, should I lay down underneath parking spot to minimize moisture?

-Lanolin, fish oil, anything else for extra underside protection?

-Have I missed something?

Thanks !

I bought a cheaper plastic style for the bottom later, and a quality cover that is waterproof, has breather holes, and is soft on the inside to avoid scratches etc. I think it was an autotechnicha one for about 150 on ebay... It can be absolutley pouring outsite, and the car stayed bone dry.  I have a DLUG now, but that was the best solution for me

Be careful of an old vinyl cover as it can cause an acrylic finish to bubble in combination with moisture as these finishes are not actually completely water proof. I like Tyvek covers ie Kenco they are good in summer and reasonable in the wet. Ultimately you need a garage or closed in carport. On the other hand there are portable car tents which might be a good idea.

Thanks alot guys, guess I'll go that one. Only remaining question there, does the small size cover a Z comfortably?

Also any word on additional 'safety' measures that can be undertaken?

The small cover is for cars 4.3M long my 2+2 is about 4.4 so it would be a tight fit the small cover should fit a 2 seater. With these covers you don't really know the best size until you get it on the car, if they are too loose they blow around in winds and can blow off. I tie a length of cord around the cover at just above bumper level.

Richard

• 5 months later...

Be carefull using car covers long term. 

I had my car under one in a lock up garage because I lived near the coast. The cover didn't get wet at all but the back of the garage was open so there was still moister around. The cars paint is 2 PAC Du pont and about 4 years old. Around a year ago little bumps in the paint formed like little sweat pimples. This only happened where the cover makes constant contact, edges of roof, high edge of quarters, doors and guards etc.  But in the areas that breathed there is no problems.

The thing that makes me think it was the cover is that left and right match. I have also now met other people that have had the same problem's with car cover's. My cover was a white felt kind of material with a fairly water proof out side dont know the brand cost $300 from auto barn. The car is now in process of being repainted.

I would try to use the cover only when there weather is really rainy and have the car out in open for the rest of the time. A bit of light rain or sun is much better than the car sweating up under a cover.

My wife's car has been outside for 5 years and the paint is perfect. Whereas the zed has been hogging the garage with the cover and its paint is ruined.