New Member in serious need of a Z

Hey all

New member here! My name is Paul from Sydney and I'm currently in the market for a Z.

Stumbled across this forum a couple of times in my brief search and thought it would be good to sign up and say hello and start trolling the for sale section ;)

I currently have my mitsu evolution 5 for sale which will hopefully fund my future z.

I'm hoping for a 240 or 260 but may also consider the 260 2+2's. If you guys could enlighten me on the major differences between the 2+2's and the other z's that would really help me in my choice!

Cheers  8)

nice clean evo.

oh Welcome BTW.

besides money being one of the differences, size and weight and overall look.

easiest to see is google image search 240Z , 260Z 2 seater and 260Z 2+2.

popularity seems to lay with the 240z but also demanding highest $$$, @60z 2 seater is a close sibling that more rare than 240z. but do have subtle changes. 2+2 260z also refered to as "bus" (somewhat silly) is the one with 2 small seats behind the front ,some extra 30cm in length and bit of extra pounds. major issue with most people is different roof profile and with me rear 1/4 glass profile.

some quick hints to pick the differences stock cars.

240z                                                                  260Z 2 Str                                                    260z 2+2

years              70-74                                                                    74-77                                                              74-77

engine              2.4L  L24                                                            2.6L L26                                                          2.6L L26

Carby            Round tops                                                            Flat tops                                                        Flat tops

Front                    -                                                                Identical to 240Z                                            Identical to 240z

Side                      -                                                                Identical to 240z                      longer doors, different 1/4 Wind, Roof profile

Rear          Integrated reverse Light                                Separate reverse light                            Similar to 260z but slightly wider

Dash      no A/C, more curvy, pods longer                  Can come with AC bit more square                          Same as 260z 2 seater

other is vented bonnets on later model 260z, 240, never had them.

early model 240Z the first 500 or so rust to buggery as they have not been primed between the panels, few differences to later z, like vented hatch lack of pollution gear and rear tool boxes, twin choke and throttle linkage on console etc.... Kinda unicorn car if has other original stuff with it.

as time went on they got improved and later ones are better.

260z 2+2 seemed to be more popular in the day than 2 seater and outsold them  considerably. Hence why so many 2+2 and cheaper price (slightly) to buy one.

Biggest + for me on 260z 2 Seater it looks like 240z but has extra comfort like A/C optional. And its a stronger car. bit heavier.

Hope I helped

here some pics

240Z

datsun+Fairlady+%252842%2529.JPG

260Z 2 seater

rear.jpg

260Z 2+2

3917592303_684169fde3_o.jpg

240z dash

Nissan-240Z_1970_800x600_wallpaper_09.jpg

260Z dash

3918379616_88e0ee5a55_o.jpg

Regardless on which one you choose they all can be made too look extra HOT......

Flared:

240Z

datsun-240.jpg

260Z 2+2

260z007.jpg

ZG style

20090121-214716.jpg

or just nice set of wheels with no flares and clean paint job.

1970_240z.jpg

whatever your style is the Z have them.

Disclamer for pics. Sorry guys if u don't want me to  link them but they were best ones. Sorry S30 Mike

• Administrators

They all drive very much the same, the 260z 2+2 feels a bit more stable due to larger wheel base. I like them all and more and more I appreciate good 2+2's because they have always been the second class citizen in the Z world and they are still a fantastic car.

I tend to find roofline is not such a big deal on darker coloured cars and you get loads of boot space if you fold down the midget seats.

You really need to drive quite a few, since they are going to be in very different states or condition and driving a few will give you a good idea of cars that have been well kept.

1 thing you should note, once you own 1 it's very hard to ever sell it. I've had mine 12+ years and can't bring myself to ever part with it. Just too much fun and is a very special experience when your out on the road. Hard to explain but iconic cars are just like that.

thanks alot for all the info guys, it really helps clears thing up

well the evo is now sold ... i mightve put the price too low cause it took less than a day to sell it. damn!

looking at whats around now, the majority of cars are interstate.

would it be hard to get these car registered ? im assuming that if they little to no rust it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Looking at some of your cars its hard to see why they wouldnt be lifers in your garage.

I'd be more than happy to keep one for life once i get it to the image i have in my head haha.

i came across these 2 so far

the look isnt quite there but that can changed, the ad suggests it might be in pretty good nick and its packing a turbo

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/buy_and_sell/for_sale/JCM3253586

i'm pretty sure i've seen this for cheaper on another site. it looks clean and restored

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/buy_and_sell/for_sale/JCW2754838?

what do you guys think ?

Thanks Paul, (we have the same name :P)

I guess the yellow one would be more attractive.

The price of the bluish one seemed a little too low so that could be something fishy about it.

I'm also looking at 510's so if you know anyone selling one hook me up :D

• Administrators

I wouldn't go for either car mate.

That yellow 1 had a lot of rust and used to be a bronze colour amongst others. It was filled with bog before it was painted yellow. I don't know who painted it and what was done prior to that paint job but I do know some of its history before that.

Poor guy who used to own it got ripped of by a mechanic both he and I trusted. Invested a lot of money for a paint job and never saw the fruition of the labour.

For a 77 though I remember the body being in poor condition. If you look at it take a fridge magnet if it doesn't stay on the bodywork then its probably bogged up.

Don't rush buying a Z mate there are many lemons out there. Keep in mind how old they are.

• Administrators