New 240Z In Town...

Dallas

Gents,

Name's Dallas and I've just purchased my first Z car. I've owned it for less than 24 hours now and I have already started the modifications... I have the bug.

My previous cars include;

R32 GTS4;

R34 GTT V6;

180SX (Current Daily);

BMW E34 5 Series;

BMW E30 3 Series and;

Toyota Soarer.

I try to buy cars on merit, not on brand or motor etc. And I must say, I picked up this 1972 2 Seater Zed last night in Wangaratta;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9156.0.html

Brought it as soon as I laid eyes on her. I must say, this is the most fun car I've driven out of all the cars I've owned and modified. I plan to modify the 240Z in a Japenese 70's/80's way that reflects how great these cars are. When I first picked it up I was so suprised at how well it handled, went and stopped (for stock brakes!).

I drove it home in one hit with my wife in the passenger seat. No radio, but a heater. It's still sporting the original AM only radio. Cool! Got it home and tucked her away..then this morning the work started.

dsc01498h.jpg

dsc01499i.jpg

I decided I wanted to see what was lurking under that old sound deadening, so I ripped it all out:

dsc01502wv.jpg

Found a bunch of crappy wiring to some old speakers that didnt work:

dsc01500sb.jpg

Awesome speakers:

dsc01507ns.jpg

dsc01508b.jpg

Here is what we found:

dsc01504jm.jpg

dsc01503ti.jpg

Surface Rust!

So me and the missus got to work:

dsc01505a.jpg

...and here is where we are at as of tonight:

dsc01511hq.jpg

I've found a small hole in the metal about half the size of a 5 cent peice - any ideas on how to fix? I've never attempted rust repairs myself.

Also, who can be trusted around CBR to paint the inside for me, to prevent any future rust issues? I will strip it myself of course; and finally;

Who can I trust to re do my interior door cards and have the dash re-skinned?

Thanks guys.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Dallas.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas,

Welcome, congratulations, nice ride, pretty wife that's in on the car which is always a good thing, just make sure the smile doesn't change to a snarl as time passes and she doesn't front you up about spending more time with the Mistress Z rather than her, I'd hate to see what she could do with those brushes to you considering the clean up she did of the hatch floor ! LOL

If you are game and pedantic which your pics would suggest, then tackle the respray in the back yourself, nothing some masking and use of quality spray packs wont fix.

As for the rust, drive it around to a panel shop and ask them to patch it first, doesn't sound like a big job.

As far as interior work, any good trimmer can handle the door cards and you could always ship the dash to be re-skinned by the dash Doctor in Melbourne.

Cheers

John

Cheers lads. Lots of plans and lots of money to be spent, but the missus is also keen to spend money on her, which is also good news.

I'm replacing most of the interior with new old stock, all the rubbers, and will slot some new gauges in there. The standard seats will remain for now, a new Nardi Deep Corn steering wheel will go in. The origonal radio will remain. I'm unsure if I'll put sound deadening in or not as of yet, will keep you guys updated.

Cheers,

Dallas.

• Moderators

Welcome Dallas,

Excellent car to start with! Can I ask what chassis number it is? Looks like an early rear boot floor. I'm guessing around the 500's?

Keep us informed as you do the mods...looks great!

Hi,

The number is HS3010786.

I'm currently in Palmerston, and anyone is welcome to come by for a chat. Although I may be moving elsewhere within ACT soon. :-)

I am considering buying all new trims and carpet/vinyl kit from the US - any thoughts? or just as good to get someone to reproduce from a trim shop?

I must admit I'm really enjoying the Z!

nice mate. A rust section that size easyly fixed as long as its clean around the hole and not rusty. Simply put a piece of copper. (aluminium) works as well under it and weld with a mig over the top. the copper or aluminium wont weld on and can come off easy then just grind it back. Unless your looking to have the car painted on the inside for show just do it yourself with presure pack ( can get them mixed to match the color) primer is better then just paint over the top of bare metal. spray a small section first if spraying over paint because it might flair up. where there is paint use a red scotch pad to ruff it up to make the paint bond. :)

Congrats on the purchase. She looks in pretty good nick (and the car too  :P)

You drove it back from Victoria? I didn't even see that one for sale down here.

"My previous cars include;"

R32 GTS4;

R34 GTT V6;

Not to be pedantic but I think the R34 skylines are all straight sixes.

Yeah I know the extent of the rust within the doors, but nothing that cannot be fixed with some hard work and time. I'm pretty happy with it so far, and there dosent appear to be rust on the chasis rails, firewall or anywhere major, but I havent stripped it completely yet. I don't think I'll do the whole restoration thing, but it will recieve a new paint job soon, as well as ZG flares, watanabes, coilovers and wilwood brakes, as well as a whole new interior..can't wait.

Also, my R34 was a V6. VQ30DET+T :-)

I made much more progress today though (day two of ownership);

As you'd remember from the previous post, the car has a distinctive line across the side - personally I'm not a fan. I think less is more;

Finally a use for a hair dryer:

dsc01512t.jpg

dsc01514z.jpg

A vast improvement already:

dsc01515y.jpg

yet no matter how careful we were, the inevitable happened:

dsc01519q.jpg

dsc01518i.jpg

The other side came up perfectly, oh well. The car will receive a respray within the next 12 months.

I did more work on the rear end:

dsc01527f.jpg

dsc01533z.jpg

dsc01532ty.jpg

I decided to put the front lip on I had lying around:

Before:

dsc01498h.jpg

After:

dsc01528yc.jpg

dsc01530a.jpg

I also took off the rear bumper, as I like it without it.

...we then went for a spin up mount ainslie :-)

dsc01536a.jpg

very happy with the new toy..i think she is a long term investment:

dsc01539v.jpg

dsc01543wc.jpg

dsc01545m.jpg

dsc01547g.jpg

while up there, an old japanese couple in a Ferrari stopped by and stared and pointed at the Datsun for a little bit.. gorgeous sounding car:

dsc01551ul.jpg

dsc01563bs.jpg

dsc01562k.jpg

dsc01552xh.jpg

The daily and toy tucked away.. really enjoying the 240, probably the best car ive owned.

dsc01570qz.jpg

Chris,

It's booked in for next Saturday at Goodyear Gunghalin - not sure where else to take it, any suggestions? The only issue I could see is it's developed a small oil leak at the front of the motor since driving it home from Melbourne sadly. :-(

I've been smiling like that since I got her! Looking at purchasing 2x new doors from Rare Spares and 2x door cards from Nissan this week to sort out the door rust issues. Will be looking at replacing the skills and gaurds if required too.

Chris,

It's booked in for next Saturday at Goodyear Gunghalin - not sure where else to take it, any suggestions? The only issue I could see is it's developed a small oil leak at the front of the motor since driving it home from Melbourne sadly. :-(

I've been smiling like that since I got her! Looking at purchasing 2x new doors from Rare Spares and 2x door cards from Nissan this week to sort out the door rust issues. Will be looking at replacing the skills and gaurds if required too.

Back when I was living in ACT, I took my 240z and Z31 for a RWC to Roger Keft in Queanbeyan. I'm not sure I'd get him to do any work on the car, but for a fairly lenient RWC he's worth a try. I'm sure the Z31 should technically NOT have passed RWC, so I'd recommend him if you're unsure.

As for oil leak, I'm sure that the regulation is that after the car has sat for 1 minute after being warmed up, and the oil leak is less than a 50 cent coin then it'll pass RWC. I dunno, maybe someone else in ACT can confirm or correct me on this?!

Take it over Dickson and see what they come up with, its not expensive and if they pass it, then its definately road worthy.  You should be able to do most of it yourself if there is nothing serious.

Interesting 240z you have there. I see in this pic it has no tool boxes

dsc01532ty.jpg

Yet it does not have the vented hatch which most (all that I have seen) of the cars with no tool boxes have, also the rear quarters should have no vents under the badge which is usually the 240z one on these cars with no tool boxes. Unless it is a Fairlady Z aka S30 not HS30 on the chassis code then it has a little zed badge not the 240z ones on the side. But then I see in one of your other post it is a HS3010786 which does match the centre console type, steering wheel type ie front half of the car.

I would have a close look at round as it looks like it is actually 2 cars - front from a 72 car and back from a 70 car. Does look like a good car from the pics and if made from 2 if done correctly it should not matter.

Enjoy your zed ownership you have now been bitten - it will stick for life now :D

Hi mate,

She has a VIN on the firewall - was just outside looking around the engine bay. HS30-10786 - Matches with the build plate and the engine number also matches, also a rev's check confirms all numbers are correct.

Interesting point you bring up about the rear end though - I have had it on a hoist and it was commented that it looks all original throughout the floor pan, with a previous minor hit up the front end which has been repaired well. So while she isnt the perfect Zed, she it keeping me rather happy.

Thanks for the input though benny & NZeder.