Hello Everyone

My name is Lance, love Zeds, my father use to have a 240 when i was a kid sadly its gone now looking to getting a zed as soon as possible. I live in Geelong, VIC, and have a 2002 Lancer done up a little as my daily driver, a Honda cb250 as my sunday bike ride and a original LX torana as my cruze to shows car "very rarely do i take it out of the shed". Im looking for a 260 id think for they are a little cheaper then 240's, just want to restore one to its former glory, i spray paint for a hobby and also I'm a uni student doing a Bachelor of Engineering 3rd year. I was thinking of doing my final year project on the L26 engine from a 260 maybe design and make a supercharger for one from scratch, just not sure as of yet, maybe just EFI system for one. anyways I have blabed enough owe and im 22 years old. cheers guys

• 2 weeks later...

btrought it off Fu, you all know him, bought the green one he landed a few months ago for $1600 he had got some parts for it and sold it to me for ....... ha suspense, rather not say to be honest, its not the cleanest of cars and its straight to a degree, "doors got kicked in by some Tools who thought it be fun to try and steal, when they failed they  continued to damage it up *sighs* wish i could damage them up...... jk  :P, it has its share of rust as most cars from the 70's do, fu told me it got restored 3 years ago ... which is the worst resto i have ever seen in my life, new sheets were welded in but its just flat sheeds in the floor looks bit draggy so might sauce some better floors and put them in, has the L26 in it, runs OKish, everything in it isnt horrible but nothing flash good project car ill have fun beating some metal for it, over all im happy and ill tell you this i paid about double what Fu did, yes he made a cheap buck and what not but end of the day still a half ok zed for not a bad price, and its a 240! HELLS YEAH! fair stoked about that, im confident with the right income "almost broke now thanks FU!" it wont be long and ill have this puppy on the road, wouldnt need a huge amount for roadworthy, brakes are horrible but all will be done in time, Having said anything still very indecisive to what I want to do to this car, coming to feel how insanely hard it was to turn at low speeds "good arm workout! screw the gym membership get a zed" I think ill put my final year project into creating a power steering system, A. useful for me, B. interesting, C. others might want me to make one for there zed too. I'll take some photo's tomorrow mostlikely till then here is a old pic of her..... her yet to be named.dato240zbody.jpg IMG_1969.jpgIMG_1959.jpg

Thanks lurch for merging it all :) any advice and idea's for the car is welcomed, hope your all not to jealous. I'm stoked  ;D

first thing to go, that shocking steering wheel, in some of the pictures the green looks real light it really isn't that light green its more so like the first pic. they were just some shots Fu took. shame about it having a sunroof, but as you can all see fair average shape, dash is perfect no cracks, seats are in awesome cond. rest of it is average to good. engine is stock to my knowing.

You really need to work on your Spelling & Grammar, Lance.

Do you realize how hard your typing is to read for us old blokes?

BTW congrats on the pickup.

And no, I'm not jealous - you've bought a bright green, auto 240Z with a sunroof that has lots of rust under the bodywork & is going to require a full restoration.

I wish you luck...

• Moderators

Well done Lance, even if you did pay double, it is still worth it. Many members here are still looking for any type of zed to grab and yours for that amount is a steal. Don't worry about what to do with it for the moment, most important thing is fix the rust, and just get it going as a stocky! You will have plenty of time to think about what you want to do with it while you are lying underneath it with an angle grinder removing all the rust and swarf from your eyes and skin.

I think ill put my final year project into creating a power steering system

pardon my ignorance but isn't this really a matter of putting in an mx5 or subi rack along with a pump?

i woulda thought the steering in the zed wasn't that far off the torana? i learnt to drive in a car that didn't have power steering and the zed wasn't noticably different, even with 225's on the front

pardon my ignorance but isn't this really a matter of putting in an mx5 or subi rack along with a pump?

I would of thought the steering in the zed wasn't that far off the torana? I learn't to drive in a car that didn't have power steering and the zed wasn't noticeably different, even with 225's on the front

Yeah I think its the fact the tyre's are a bit flat :P hahaha. Also I need a final year project and I'm fair keen on the idea of doing something on the Zed to improve it in some way, either through steering suspension and brakes type ordeal, OR through engine and power, more into comforts than power. But thanks for the heads up might look into that.

You really need to work on your Spelling & Grammar, Lance.

Do you realize how hard your typing is to read for us old blokes?

BTW congrats on the pickup.

And no, I'm not jealous - you've bought a bright green, auto 240Z with a sunroof that has lots of rust under the bodywork & is going to require a full restoration.

I wish you luck...

Will do on the grammar, English was by far the worst subject for me at school, Hence why I do a science Degree, if you think my spelling is bad you should see my hand writing... Lets just say as good as a doctor. Yeah the car does have fair bit of rust and yes is green but I wanted to paint it my own color anyways.

The engine isn't to bad in her runs not to shabby interior isn't all that bad, but yeah the body work is extensive, not sure if i should get it soda blasted or just do bit by bit and paint stripper it and sand it by hand, then do the cutting and welding and then do the rest, I'm actually fair excited about doing all the metal work I find it intersting get back to me in a year or 2 see if I'm still excited about it :P but yeah overall end of the day I'm happy to have a zed in not horrible condition. But Sorry about the poor spelling and grammar I'm just lazy/bad at it.

Well done Lance, even if you did pay double, it is still worth it. Many members here are still looking for any type of zed to grab and yours for that amount is a steal. Don't worry about what to do with it for the moment, most important thing is fix the rust, and just get it going as a stocky! You will have plenty of time to think about what you want to do with it while you are lying underneath it with an angle grinder removing all the rust and swarf from your eyes and skin.

Thanks  :) first person that i feel isn't attacking me about the purchase in some little way. End of the day its still a 240Z which in my mind the most sort after, a 2 seater again more sort after. Paying 10k+ for me at this time in my life isn't so much of a option hence rather a project, plus find body work exciting love to learn more and more,

I'm more of a get shown or read and try to copy "with some trial and error" rather than pay someone to do my work for me. More appreciation for the car in my mind also. but yeah grinder and welder will be my best friends, should invest in some good ones.

P.S I ran spell check this time for everyone :)

Yeah I think its the fact the tyre's are a bit flat :P hahaha. Also I need a final year project and I'm fair keen on the idea of doing something on the Zed to improve it in some way, either through steering suspension and brakes type ordeal, OR through engine and power, more into comforts than power. But thanks for the heads up might look into that.

I'd say this is a very good starting point.... I used to find that when the front tyres dropped 2 or 3 psi in my Alfa, the steering effort felt like it was almost doubled.  Make sure you've got about 34-36 psi in the tyres and you should find the steering much lighter, and also getting the alignment checked could be worthwhile if it still feels stupidly heavy after that.  Will always be a bit heavy at parking speeds though, as you no doubt know from your torana.

coming up with a final year project can be a pain in the ass, so goodluck with it! i would of thought to get the most out of assignment and have it meet the set critera it would have to incorporate heaps more calcs and custom work than bolting on some parts from another car - hence y formula SAE exists

goodluck with the body work on the car! i'm in the process of doing mine, hopefully well enough for me to be happy with it, and not rust to much more, until i can afford a full bare metal rotisserie job

Congrats on the purchase, no doubt you will have alot of fun time with her. About the project, if you chose to go with engine power then I think you will have a good/fun time measuring all the calcs for airflow, rpm, fuel consumption, power generated...etc..To measure those you would need more or less 20 formulas..and that would solve zedevan's concern :) good luck.

yeah good luck on the purchase. finaly someone put their wallet where their mouth is. very proud of you.  ;D

thats still a cheap 240z even if u did pay double than FU. i paid 1800 for my canneried 240z 3years ago. so u still did pretty good.

let the fun begin....... and keep us posted. we like resto pics and updates...... sometimes work is boring LOL..... so keep us entertained ...

Thanks a lot everyone for the positivity, Without a doubt can't wait to get stuck into it. Without a doubt I'll keep everyone posted with how it goes I do have a color in mind for it and wanted to know what people think of the new commodore green color??? My house mate tends to think it wouldn't suit a zed but I do like it myself.

coming up with a final year project can be a pain in the ass, so goodluck with it! i would of thought to get the most out of assignment and have it meet the set critera it would have to incorporate heaps more calcs and custom work than bolting on some parts from another car - hence y formula SAE exists

goodluck with the body work on the car! i'm in the process of doing mine, hopefully well enough for me to be happy with it, and not rust to much more, until i can afford a full bare metal rotisserie job

Yeah I was planning to join the F-SAE project my uni does every year, looks interesting plus might give me some good idea's for my zed, I was thinking somewhat of power be easier to do a project on something like custom made manifold for optimum performace it is REALLY hard to think of something that would be exactly perfect to do it on seeming it needs to be rather lengthy and many trial and error tests need to be made. Also needs to be with in a budget to seeming we have to fund it ourselves if we don't find sponsorship. All for ideas in this matter. But end of the day guess it will come to me.

when i was thinking for the colour on my 2+2 i was going to go for holden hothouse green or as some call it $hithouse green.

even ppl though its ugly i still wanted it. lucky i didnt cause it would have turned out crap... seen a z painted and looked awfull same as 1600.not nice at all.

the green u talking about is the brighter more flourescent metalic green right? on the new VE or whatever letter they up to now. that should look good but as a warning get a sample made up and respray a panel and try it on different light conditions. if it looks good than go for it.

if thats the green u thinking i think it will look very good. it will stand out but not over the top. Nice Wats or BRs should look sweet.