#21 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Don't forget my class win in 2010 Aub  :P But seriously, what you say about the Z still being capable of winning is the whole point. And if it's up against modified cars then it can be modified to more than match them and then as a bonus you can have more fun by going faster.

#22 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

All well and good to be getting the good results, but I have to agree with Jason and also what I said in my first post here. It's horses for courses. Peter Mac's drag zed would blow us all away over a quater mile, but would it turn corners as well as a circuit car? My car was never the most powerful, but it never broke unless someone hit it, and as a result I won a state championship, so whilst my car is not the quickest doesn't it get rated as one of the best cause I got a trophy for a year's work???

And then you can look at different competitions like hillclimbs to sort the quickets car as the most powerful won't win, but the car that is set up tthe best as can be seen in the results at Noosa or Mt Cotton, my car was not set up for hill climbs and suffered as a result, yet I was quicker than those cars beating me on the hillclimb when up against them in a 10 lap race on a circuit or qually.

A good exampple of what I am talking about is comparing John McKeons Z to mine, when it was still in Sydney before John bought it. Both built at around the same time, mine probably a couple of years earlier in 2B trim, and raced together for 2 seasons in Sydney. It was a couple of seconds a lap quicker than my car in qualifying, but when first built was fragile, so I beat it in races more often than not. Who has the faster car, the one that was quicker for a lap, or the car that finished the race in a quicker time because it wasn't in pit lane or on the side of the track with a geabox in bits.

Couldn't you rightly say the 4WD V8 260 hill climb car is the quickest Zed in Aus, cause I haven't seen any other Zed beat it at any event yet.

#23 Ledge

Ledge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Tagline:PMC RB28

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

HI All,
Problem is i guess is door to door racing is not the same thing as sprints, time attack etc.
I know when I'm out doing my 5 sprint laps or warm up/ one lap flat out. if there are other cars
around me then it easy knock 1-2 seconds off.
Now I'm not saying my cars is the quickest and personally i don't give a flying f. but what i can
say is over 650hp, less than 1 tonne, AZC suspension, 6 piston brakes all adds up to
scaring the crap out of me. And that my friend is why i do it.
What is it mate that you actually want to compare ?
Sounds like Nevs car is killer, but so is Jason's, and Dimitri's. Peter Halls is sweet as too.
And Kev's freaky monster. Even Peter Mac's , Chris Ferguson's. Man the list goes on but all
these cars are built for totally different forms of motorsport/street driving.

All in all get out there and drive that thing.

Cheers
Paul

#24 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

HI All,
Problem is i guess is door to door racing is not the same thing as sprints, time attack etc.
I know when I'm out doing my 5 sprint laps or warm up/ one lap flat out. if there are other cars
around me then it easy knock 1-2 seconds off.
Now I'm not saying my cars is the quickest and personally i don't give a flying f. but what i can
say is over 650hp, less than 1 tonne, AZC suspension, 6 piston brakes all adds up to
scaring the crap out of me. And that my friend is why i do it.
What is it mate that you actually want to compare ?
Sounds like Nevs car is killer, but so is Jason's, and Dimitri's. Peter Halls is sweet as too.
And Kev's freaky monster. Even Peter Mac's , Chris Ferguson's. Man the list goes on but all
these cars are built for totally different forms of motorsport/street driving.

All in all get out there and drive that thing.

Cheers
Paul

And a golf clap to you good sir.......

Exactly, how can you compare so many different cars and what does it matter if they are driven as hard and as fast as they can go......

#25 zr240

zr240

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Mine did a fast time as a full track car but now is a road car so does that count :)

lol
Ash

#26 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Ash, seeing that the topic is supposed to be about Street cars ie road registered, doing circuits, you are definately in. Not sure about a few others though :)

As for Lakeside Zed official lap times, seeing that noone has posted their bests I'll have a go. As far as I know only Lee Falkner, Neville and myself have gone under 60 seconds, that includes race cars like McKeons. Lees is really a race car, he uses slicks for a start, his best time is in the high 58's and he is damm fast anywhere. So Nev is a touch quicker, on medium semi slicks. Those are the facts as I know them, corrections invited.

#27 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

just for you all fast boys out there Kev's best time at PI was 1.39 , and at winton 1.25 long track  he is the fastest zed ,

but the real question is who has the fastest zed that can drive to the track and drive home  on r spec wheels , at the moment i think Gordo is at 1.51 at PI

#28 redrbzed

redrbzed

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hi Peter,

I drive my car to the track on R spec tyres, bolt on the wing and splitter and go racing!
My best times to date are a 1:46.0 at PI and a 1:19.0 at Sandown.

#29 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Sorry mate , i thought it was a real race car now , did not think you still drove it around , , yes 1.46 is dam fast , and makes its the  2nd fastest zed at PI in the last 5 years  , 

but id like to see who has the best time with a road car zed that has a L motor  , bring on the nats

#30 zr240

zr240

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Nice time sinisha! You must be on it

Man 1:39 is sooo fast shows what a lot of money and skill can do

So in summary for Phillip island

So Gordon would have to be the fastest on treads with l series and rego 1:51
Sinisher is fastest on treads with other motor and rego 1:46
From memory cantwell has done the quickest slick, l series racecar time with a 1:46 ( and I was second fastest with 1:47)
Kevin is the fastest on slicks with other motor 1:39

This is from what I can find on natsoft

Ash

#31 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

but id like to see who has the best time with a road car zed that has a L motor

I did a 1:48 with an L motor on semis.  Car was fully engineered and road registered.....................had a turbo hanging off the side though  :D

#32 DAZDA

DAZDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Tagline:Brap Brap Brap

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

What would be a reasonable time around PI for a Zed with a stock engine (~80kW at the wheels) and standard brakes?

#33 zr240

zr240

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

I would think anything under 2min is pretty good?

What do other think?

Ash

#34 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

I've always been of the belief that anything under 2Min's at PI, is pretty quick.
But in saying that, I've never driven it.......... yet  ;D

#35 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

What would be a reasonable time around PI for a Zed with a stock engine (~80kW at the wheels) and standard brakes?

What, like a stock Group S prod sports?
I've done 1.55's Pete Hall has done 1.54's.
Stock brakes, 6"x14" rims and road legal control tyres.
Oh and stock mechanicals, no big bore big stroke stuff
No RB conversions, or 4 lire Ford engines.
Btw 62's at Lakeside in mine, no turbo hanging off the side.

#36 DAZDA

DAZDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Tagline:Brap Brap Brap

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

I don't know the Group S Prod. Sport rules so that doesn't help me...

Top work!  :)

Stock brakes
6"x14" rims
road legal control tyres

Yep, stock L-series engine (incl. stock camshaft, SU copies, no big bore big stroke stuff, points ignition, etc)
Standard gearbox
Standard open diff
Road legal tyres
Standard brakes (solid discs on the front, drums on the rear).

I'm just trying to work out what time I should be aiming for as a first timer to PI...

#37 be-zed

be-zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well it looks like you boys might be able to settle this fine point at Easter . If not then perhaps an Ironperson (new age talk here) event .A bit like an MG Ironman event. A flag to flag event , sprint ,1/4 mile, hillclimb, one car ,one driver over say the next Nissan Datsun Nations event in 2015. Word is QLD ZCC is next to host the next one, if WA and South Aust don't put there hands up. I hear the NDN events do incorporate the Z Nationals and it should be easy for a Z club to organize an ironman event. Give your ideas to 260DET to bring home to present to the NDN15 committee.

#38 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'm just trying to work out what time I should be aiming for as a first timer to PI...

If it helps, from memory, my first laps at PI in my 260Z with stock L28 (~90 kw at the wheels), 240 carbs and virtually stock brakes, managed a 2:14 - same car after a couple more events, got down to a 2:08 on semi's BTW. Still have plenty to go!

#39 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

first ever lap at PI warm up lap 158 , second lap 1.54  3rd lap 1.53 in a zed  , you feel safe because there is good run off , its a great track , Kev did his 139 on his 2ND lap there first lap was 143 , cold day  , if your car is safe and well setup you will have a great time  , if you want to see how its done watch gordo on his youtube vid he is a smoth driver

#40 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Stock brakes, 6"x14" rims and road legal control tyres.
Btw 62's at Lakeside in mine, no turbo hanging off the side.

So, if I don't beat 1:55 at PI there will be a few unkind words said  ;D  Nothing wrong with 62's at Lakeside, Richard Graham does that in his targa spec car too from memory. Just remember you have a race car Jason which probably could have it's performance enhanced if you wanted to, we all can give reasons why we can't go faster, mine is the driver as it really is with all except the very best at Lakeside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users