Fastest Circuit Street S30 in AU?

260DET

Ash, seeing that the topic is supposed to be about Street cars ie road registered, doing circuits, you are definately in. Not sure about a few others though :)

As for Lakeside Zed official lap times, seeing that noone has posted their bests I'll have a go. As far as I know only Lee Falkner, Neville and myself have gone under 60 seconds, that includes race cars like McKeons. Lees is really a race car, he uses slicks for a start, his best time is in the high 58's and he is damm fast anywhere. So Nev is a touch quicker, on medium semi slicks. Those are the facts as I know them, corrections invited.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just for you all fast boys out there Kev's best time at PI was 1.39 , and at winton 1.25 long track  he is the fastest zed ,

but the real question is who has the fastest zed that can drive to the track and drive home  on r spec wheels , at the moment i think Gordo is at 1.51 at PI

Sorry mate , i thought it was a real race car now , did not think you still drove it around , , yes 1.46 is dam fast , and makes its the  2nd fastest zed at PI in the last 5 years  , 

but id like to see who has the best time with a road car zed that has a L motor  , bring on the nats

Nice time sinisha! You must be on it

Man 1:39 is sooo fast shows what a lot of money and skill can do

So in summary for Phillip island

So Gordon would have to be the fastest on treads with l series and rego 1:51

Sinisher is fastest on treads with other motor and rego 1:46

From memory cantwell has done the quickest slick, l series racecar time with a 1:46 ( and I was second fastest with 1:47)

Kevin is the fastest on slicks with other motor 1:39

This is from what I can find on natsoft

Ash

What would be a reasonable time around PI for a Zed with a stock engine (~80kW at the wheels) and standard brakes?

What, like a stock Group S prod sports?

I've done 1.55's Pete Hall has done 1.54's.

Stock brakes, 6"x14" rims and road legal control tyres.

Oh and stock mechanicals, no big bore big stroke stuff

No RB conversions, or 4 lire Ford engines.

Btw 62's at Lakeside in mine, no turbo hanging off the side.

I don't know the Group S Prod. Sport rules so that doesn't help me...

Top work!  :)

Stock brakes

6"x14" rims

road legal control tyres

Yep, stock L-series engine (incl. stock camshaft, SU copies, no big bore big stroke stuff, points ignition, etc)

Standard gearbox

Standard open diff

Road legal tyres

Standard brakes (solid discs on the front, drums on the rear).

I'm just trying to work out what time I should be aiming for as a first timer to PI...

Well it looks like you boys might be able to settle this fine point at Easter . If not then perhaps an Ironperson (new age talk here) event .A bit like an MG Ironman event. A flag to flag event , sprint ,1/4 mile, hillclimb, one car ,one driver over say the next Nissan Datsun Nations event in 2015. Word is QLD ZCC is next to host the next one, if WA and South Aust don't put there hands up. I hear the NDN events do incorporate the Z Nationals and it should be easy for a Z club to organize an ironman event. Give your ideas to 260DET to bring home to present to the NDN15 committee.

• Moderators

I'm just trying to work out what time I should be aiming for as a first timer to PI...

If it helps, from memory, my first laps at PI in my 260Z with stock L28 (~90 kw at the wheels), 240 carbs and virtually stock brakes, managed a 2:14 - same car after a couple more events, got down to a 2:08 on semi's BTW. Still have plenty to go!

first ever lap at PI warm up lap 158 , second lap 1.54  3rd lap 1.53 in a zed  , you feel safe because there is good run off , its a great track , Kev did his 139 on his 2ND lap there first lap was 143 , cold day  , if your car is safe and well setup you will have a great time  , if you want to see how its done watch gordo on his youtube vid he is a smoth driver

Stock brakes, 6"x14" rims and road legal control tyres.

Btw 62's at Lakeside in mine, no turbo hanging off the side.

So, if I don't beat 1:55 at PI there will be a few unkind words said  ;D  Nothing wrong with 62's at Lakeside, Richard Graham does that in his targa spec car too from memory. Just remember you have a race car Jason which probably could have it's performance enhanced if you wanted to, we all can give reasons why we can't go faster, mine is the driver as it really is with all except the very best at Lakeside.

Richo, IIRC

you got a blower whooshbang thing?

wide giant rubber on fat tall rimz, flares, some fancy rubba?

Big kick arse disc brakes all round?

Super aero stuff?

Totally different to a Group Sc Z!

You should aim for 1.45 or better with all your mods!!!

But, those Vic gus DO know that track, some, VERY well!

Maybe a gentle 1.55 is a more docile time to aim for with a turbo equipped modded car.

I don't know the Group S Prod. Sport rules so that doesn't help me...

Production Sports Cars - to quote the manual

"the modifications permitted

are not intended to radically alter the individual vehicle’s character or appearance and will be of an improved

performance road car nature, as opposed to making the vehicle totally dedicated to outright competition"

Cliffs :

Chassis / body - original, only mods allowed are removal of bumpers and, on some early roadster style cars (MG's, Fairlady's, Triumphs TR3's etc), removal of windscreen.

Engine - original block and head, standard stroke, bore can go to 60 thou over (allowed more for reconditioning purposes on these older engines than for performance). Head can be modified by removal of material only, no welding up chambers / ports to reshape them. No fanct stuff like dry sumps, roller rockers and the like (unless fitted as original equipment to the vehicle).

Exhaust is free.

Intake - must be original make, type and number of carb / carbs. In theory, and according to the CAMS spec sheets, this limits zeds to Hitachi SU carbs (not even allowed to use British SU's), but some zeds that I've seen running as (I believe) Group S seem to run Solex's ?? I stand to be corrected on this one.

Gearbox - must be original, same number of forward gears, ratios are free

Diff - must be original, internals are free

Brakes - must be original, only mods allowed are removal of dust shields and fitment of dual master cylinder to vehicles that were originally single circuit master.

Suspension - must be original except for spring rates, ride height and damper settings. Maximum of 2 degrees neg camber.

Wheels / tyres - restricted to certain allowable semi-slick tyres, max size 205/60/14 on 14x6 rims for zeds

So, a Group S car would be less modified than many L-engined, street registered and driven zeds.

Can't compare a race car to one that is road legal without taking a whole lot of things into account. Being able to lose weight is a big advantage, less load on the brakes, tyres and suspension, better power to weight ratio, better handling from a cage stiffening the body. It drove me mad building my street Z because of all the comprmises that had to be made to keep it legal.

As far as power and brakes go around Lakeside, suspension and steering are more important. Except for the straight my accelerator on a good day would be flat to the floor for about six seconds for the rest of the circuit. Aero is very important there, I have yet to see a Qld S30 with any where near decent aero except for Neville's. His is still pretty basic but he agrees that it makes a big difference to lap times.

Anyone who really thinks that Lakeside is a power circuit does not have a clue. Don't believe that? Check out the best Excel times, they have standard engines.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I should update this as I did a sprint with the WRX club yesterday at PI, the track is amazing, very smooth.

For some reason everyone's tyres squealed like they were in some b grade chase scene.

managed a PB, 1:44.7.

Unfortunately I won't be going to the Z nationals so a 1:44.7 is what you will have to better.

Throw hat down!

Sinisha wins!

I know what is needed to do 1.54's

10 seconds a lap quicker is a whole different ball game.

The fastest guys ( Porsche 2.7 Carrera) i race against in class  ( Prod Sports Sc) are at 1.47's ( 7 seconds)

But,,,, at Morgan Park, they are within 3 seconds f my times

Thought I should update this as I did a sprint with the WRX club yesterday at PI, the track is amazing, very smooth.

For some reason everyone's tyres squealed like they were in some b grade chase scene.

managed a PB, 1:44.7.

Unfortunately I won't be going to the Z nationals so a 1:44.7 is what you will have to better.

Whoa, that's quick! Do you think there's room for improvement?

Definitely, that wasn't the tidiest of laps.

I know there is more time to be found, I just have to find some heavy duty brave pills.

Probably about .5sec in my driving and another .5 in new tyres.

But, the faster I go the harder it gets to put together a clean lap.