TAFE COURSE - Sydney - St George

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Oh oh oh I was going to ask about this, do we have the numbers of interest? I thought I already signed up. But guess not. Either will work for me, or should I say I'll make either work for me?

Might be better to start with April, which would give me some time to strip some bits off the old Safari Project.

#22 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

I had signed up as well but received no update. Just happened to check today and saw that the course is available.

I'm happy with either date so I'll go along with whatever is the popular choice.

#23 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

They run it in four terms per year, not two semesters. What you are seeing there is the first and second terms.

Gavin, and others, I suggest you sign up for both terms, the first to learn some basic skills. Believe you me it's not as easy as Paul shows it. There's quite an art to inserting metal fragments in your eye or running an oxy torch over your fingers, although how to slice your fingers on a piece of metal is quickly learned, probably in the first week!

#24 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Peter, I'm a bit confused. In your original post you said it was $325 per semester. The cost listed in that link I just posted suggests $470 per term which equates to $1880 for the 4 terms. That's a bit steep to be honest. Unless I'm not reading it right and it is $470 per semester.

#25 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

You can thank Barry O'Farrell for the price rise. In fact he wanted to scrap all TAFE courses that weren't directly job/employment related but there was quite a backlash with students writing to their local members.

Funny thing is at $325 for 18 week we were struggling to get starters but when they jacked the price up the class was full... go figure?

#26 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

Just spoke to Erin who is the course coordinator. She can be reached on 9217 5270. The phone number listed on the TAFE website was wrong.

Anyway, the course runs for 9 weeks at 5:30 to 8:30 on Tuesday nights and costs $470 ($17 per hour). That is the complete course and if you would like to do it again it's up to you. The February start is filling up but there are some places left. The April one has a lot more places available.

Sounds like they will run it again in the second semester so if you wanted to start with the April one and then do a repeat you can do so then.

Who is interested and for which term?

#27 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

...That is the complete course and if you would like to do it again it's up to you. The February start is filling up but there are some places left. The April one has a lot more places available.

Sounds like they will run it again in the second semester so if you wanted to start with the April one and then do a repeat you can do so then.

George et al. It is not a structured course with a set curriculum. There are 'new starters' and chaps who have been doing it for years. On the first night you simple tell the teacher, Mark Natoli, (http://natolipanelcreations.com.au/)  what your present skills are and he will take it from there. As a novice he can give you some exercises, e.g. make a hubcap, bonnet scoop, etc and he will give you a hand all the way showing you the techniques needed. Alternatively, for old farts like me,  we simply say "g'day" and he lets me do my own thing until I ask him for assistance. It is a very friendly, non-intimidating environment.

Note: Parking is a PITA, get there early, particularly at the start of a new year.

#28 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

Sounds perfect Peter. Thanks for the heads up.

Are you considering applying? Hell, you could probably teach the course by now...

#29 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

Who is interested and for which term?

Did you mean start with the February 1 and do it again in April?

I am interested in starting in February, if it means I have the option to continue on again in April. I am sure the Safari project will take longer than a few weeks to sort out it's problems ;).

#30 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Gav, I'm happy to start at any time.

#31 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Sounds good, I guess we should just enroll and if others want to join they can try and get in to the same class?

Is it better to call Erin to enroll - since last time I filled in the web based form and I'm not convinced it's working properly so think it's better to secure via phone?

#32 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

I just called she wasn't available, so I left a message. Hopefully she will call back and I can confirm enrollment.

#33 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

OK, I'll wait and see whether it's best to apply online or call her.

#34 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

George give her a call and she'll send you the details along with payment options. I can't pay yet I'm waiting until I get paid next, so I can't secure a spot until then, but I'm doing the course that starts in Feb if possible.

#35 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Rang earlier but it went to msg bank. I'll try again tomorrow. If you pike on me Gav I'm coming to steal your car and use it for sheet metal scraps for the class projects. :P

#36 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

I promise I won't pike out haha. After buying the welder, Christmas and the final fee for importing the rx7 with Iron Chef I'm a little broke till pay day that's all ;).

#37 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Which welder did you buy?

#38 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Mark (mossy's) mig he only used a few times. There is a thread that mentions exact model etc.. Its a cigweld unit I think.

Thread is here, was on mobile previously so harder to find thread.
http://www.viczcar.c...ic,13766.0.html

#39 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Signed up. Some info for anyone else that might be interested.

Course Name : 29588 Introduction to Vehicle Restoration
Start Date: Tuesday, 11 February 2014
Finish Date: Tuesday, 8 April 2014
Course delivery: 9 X Tuesday Evenings, 5:30 - 8:30 PM
Course location: St George College Cnr Princes Hwy and President Ave Kogarah, Building G 2.04
Course Coordinator : Erin Hinchey 02 9217 5270
Email: sydneytafe.transport@tafensw.edu.au

Notes: Participants need to bring leather riggers gloves, ear muffs, clear safety glasses (other PPE requirements will be discussed on the first night)
Participants need to wear cotton long sleeve overalls or cotton drill trousers and long sleeve cotton work shirt

#40 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Question for Sydneysiders - roughly how long would it take to drive from, say, Pennant Hills to St George TAFE at the time the course starts ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users