27 replies to this topic

#21 datozed

datozed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

if you plan to keep your car long term then follow your dream. dimitris car is what inspired me to go itb injection  took me five years to gather the parts and do the planning  eg. injector size; fuelpumps; reg; ecu; air filters; fuel rail; lines;ignition;tacho;thermo fan; etc etc it is a job not to be taken lightly and must be done right the first time.  took me and my brother six weeks in our spare time to fit it and get it running we made our own fuel and ignition maps and tune it on the road,car is running great and we are able to improve the tune after driving by cheching the data log. do it right dont cut corners and you wont be disapointed

#22 Six_Shooter

Six_Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Tagline:Canuckian

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

I've had several carb equipped vehicles over the years, including my 240Z, and in every case but my Honda Prelude, I converted to EFI, if they weren't already, and noticed a great improvement in reliability, ease of starting, fuel economy, and sometimes power. I say sometimes power, only because I have to exclude times where forced induction was also added at the same time, of course power was added then. ;)

In my cases I have used Delco ECMs for the conversions, a couple times because those were what would have been originally equipped in those vehicles, other cases, such as my 240Z, I wanted to prove that it could be done and cost effectively, along with also being familiar with the hardware and tuning software that is used. They are robust, extremely reliable and plentiful. I have only had one failure over a couple decades of using them and that was due to some water getting on it, in a heavy rain storm. If I had had the correct MEMCAL in the ECM for Limp Home Mode, I would have been able to drive it home, unfortunately I didn't, and had to have my GF bring me an ECM that then got me home. I've since tested with the correct MEMCAL and now LHM works just as it should.

In every case where there are no rules that need to be met (racing classes) or other restrictions that would eliminate the possibility, I will recommend EFI in every case.

Just as a point, other than the Turbo EFI system from the ZX, the factory EFI does not control ignition timing, on the L-series.

#23 Ledge

Ledge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Tagline:PMC RB28

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hi All,
I am not going to give away to much now but soon there will be a product
that looks identical too a DCOE but is a billet block with injectors on the inside
and the fuel running to the injector through the same spot as a DCOE. Injector
plug comes out the bottom. Bolt patterns the same as DCOE. So EFI with the
look of 48 DCOE.

Cheers
Paul

#24 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

That would be a freaking awesome looking ITB throttle body! Got any more info Ledge?

#25 Ledge

Ledge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Tagline:PMC RB28

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

HI Agno,
I love the look of Weber's but also love the push button start and drive ability
of EFI.
I hate the shity cold and driving of Weber's but also hate the Plenum or ugly billet tube
ITB that look like they are an ion cannon on the deathstar.
So for me the look of Weber's with push button start hot or cold, fuel efficiency and driveability is
well to say the least perfect.
Trust me mate i will put up a big write up when I'm can. the pics i have received look fantastic.
And yes they will bolt to your existing Weber manifold and use your existing trumpets etc.
cheers
Paul

#26 DreamZproject

DreamZproject

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

ooooh those sound cool!

I love the idea of ITB's, but they're pretty damn exy from what i gather, perhaps i should go EFI for
now, and when i get the cash i can fab some up...

#27 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

And that, there, is my point!
That's a quality build. Yet has carbs over EFI.
Yes. Itb's are going to be BETTER.
But carbs ate BETTER BANG FOR BUCK!

Sorry about getting capacity wrong.

It was simply a case of not wanting to spend any more money. We talked about EFI and I couldn't justify it and at the end of the day it's just a weekend car.
I'm hoping the new gearbox and diff ratio help out with the flat spot by changing the revs at 60kph in 3rd gear.

At the end of the day my engine package is pretty irrelevant to this thread, as this guy isn't going to be building that kind of motor. Most of the cheaper ITB setups just weren't good enough to cut the mustard on my setup. When I run out of things my car needs to be a reliable track car and the body has been done then i will definitely be looking at ITBs to get that last 20hp. Or maybe now i have the twin cam head i will make an ITB setup for that  ;)

To the OP, sounds like you have a heap of other areas to address with your car if it's "years off" before worrying about this sort of stuff. If you are strapped for budget just use 240Z carbs, why even waste time dreaming about ITBs? Get your car running and registered and then worry about making it faster...

#28 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

Guys

I read the comments regarding drivability with triple carbs and cannot grasp why some think they cannot be as smooth and tractable as fuel injection.....the simple answer is spend some money and GET THEM TUNED BY A PROFFESIONAL ON A DYNO.
Apart from minor cold start hesitation (I didn't connect the chokes), my 44 Mikuni's are as smooth as silk with no hesitation at all.......no flat spots ,no stumble, no back firing, no over fueling....just smooth progressive acceleration.........the difference is that they were refreshed and tuned properly.
Whilst I cannot comment on Webers, Mikuni's are just as tractable as EFI .............if any body doubts that feel free to drive my Zed and see for yourself.
Whilst EFI certainly has advantages with fuel consumption, cold start and fine tuning/mapping .................smooth power delivery should not be a problem with correctly set up triple carbs........IMHO anyway

Al.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users