JSK/Wilwood 4 pot 2 piece disk group buy

Ok guys I have been emailing Juan at Auto Brake Works today to strike up a deal on a group buy of the hub adaptors and Wilwood brake package.

We will need a minimum of 10 in order to get the special rate (although I think we could get a little more off if we get more people), at this point I will say that the price is a hell of alot better than the Arizona Z Car US$1600/A$1950+shipping. In fact it is almost half that price, so I don't think you could find better value for money in a proper bolt up and drive away brake kit available on the market today for the Z cars.

I will ask you to post your interest at this point and when we have the numbers I will post the price at which point I will then be asking for further confirmation of your intentions to purchase these brake kits.

Please post links to all of the Z forums around the country as this will only help to increase the number of interested parties and get the ball rolling alot quicker.

Cheers

Stef

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very interested, so count me in, i was just trying to look into all this myself, but couldn't find the link to JSK until nzeder posted it...

if its half the price mayb its using cheaper calipers? could we source these locally along with the pads/rotors? i wasn't able to find a site that had pricing on all the bits locally but gave up pretty fast lol

and does the handbrake still work? the only wilwood kit i've seen where it still worked had a seperate caliper for it

As far as I know the calipers are the same, I said ALMOST half the price PMSL, thats when you take into account shipping and duties as well as exchange rates being better from NZ rather than the US.

Also the handbrake issue I don't think it does, well it doesn't specify anything on the linked page and no they are not cheaper calipers they are the same from what I can see. It's just that as I say by the time you convert the A$ to US$ then add shipping costs it is almost twice what we could get these for from NZ.

Here is the link to the page  http://www.autobrakeworks.com/datsun.htm , you will see that you can buy the kits seperately and then source your own calipers and disks but I do think this is outstanding value for money when you also consider the time saved in sourcing everything yourself.  The only thing left is working out shipping and any duties involved which I didn't discuss with him as I guess he assumes I will be taking care of it all so I will be looking into that this week, but if anyone has dealt with any agencies that they could recomend this would also be helpful. He does offer to help in assisting to source the rotors and calipers seperately and after working it out it actually works out cheaper again, but this is without any duties or shipping, I will ask him if he knows how much difference there would be including shipping form the US.

As I say guys post links in the other Z forums that you are members of or at least email the links to members their to post up if you aren't members, the more we can get on board the more we can negotiate on the price, it's good now but I think we could do a bit better.

Cheers

Stef

searched for wilwood handbrake on hybridz and someone had made their own

http://alteredz.com/brakemods.htm

i saw a similar thing using 300zx brakes i think, mayb JSK could make up some for the group buy also?

i think getting 10 interested people is going to be pushing it a bit to far, as doesn't running them mean u can't race in historic classes?...or unless 1600's etc can use them, or u advertise off the internet somewhere also. I'm happy even if its just cheaper on shipping and have some help sourcing all the parts, as that was one question i had in terms of getting new brake pads and rotors down the track.

• Administrators

searched for wilwood handbrake on hybridz and someone had made their own

http://alteredz.com/brakemods.htm

i saw a similar thing using 300zx brakes i think, mayb JSK could make up some for the group buy also?

i think getting 10 interested people is going to be pushing it a bit to far, as doesn't running them mean u can't race in historic classes?...or unless 1600's etc can use them, or u advertise off the internet somewhere also. I'm happy even if its just cheaper on shipping and have some help sourcing all the parts, as that was one question i had in terms of getting new brake pads and rotors down the track.

I met a fellow by the name of Frank with a Turbo L31. He has done a very similar rear brake conversion. He didn't use Wilwood's though he used Z32 rears I think. Don't quote me on it cause I can't recall for sure.

The Wilwood conversion looks great. It's a shame I can't join the group buy because of my current situation (saving for OS). Best of luck with it, looking forward to seeing the results.

I'm interested but have a couple of questions that I couldn't see the answers to on the link or on the ArizonaZCar site:

- Can you find out the item number for the brakes pads?  Like Evan I'm concerned about whether or not other companies will make pads to suit these callipers.

- Are the callipers the same front and rear or are the fronts bigger?

- Would it be possible to find out the diameter of the pistons?

- I'm guessing these wouldn't fit under 15's?  Would I need to run 16's or 17's?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be sure of what I'd be buying.

Thanks

Shane

This is the parts list I got from him if you decide to get them seperately and just buy the adaptor kit from him, but I don't know if this is US$ or NZ$, either way you can see it is very cheap even when you compare it to the Hilux brake set up.

Also with the Wilwood Mechanical Spot Caliper this would easily solve the park brake issue, I emailed the guys these pics about this and a bracket for it, just waiting for a response.

spotcaliperbrackets.jpgspotcaliperinboard1s.jpg

Front 

Product ID:  WIL120-7429-X   

Product Name:  WILWOOD FORGED BILLET SUPERLITE CALIPER - 1.75" PISTONS - 1.25" ROTOR - #WIL120-7429-X 

Sale Price:   $134.36  select left and right calipers

Product ID:  WIL160-2895

Inventory Status: In Stock   

Product Name:  WILWOOD ULTRALIGHT CURVED 32 FIN BRAKE ROTOR - LH - 8 BOLT - 1.25 WIDTH - 12.19 DIAMETER X 7" BOLT CIRCLE - .326" HOLE - 10.1 LBS - #WIL160-2895

Sale Price:   $41.50  left rotor

Product ID:  WIL160-2894

Product Name:  WILWOOD ULTRALIGHT CURVED 32 FIN BRAKE ROTOR - RH - 8 BOLT - 1.25 WIDTH - 12.19 DIAMETER X 7" BOLT CIRCLE - .326" HOLE - 10.1 LBS - #WIL160-2894 

Sale Price:  $41.50  right rotor

Rear

Product ID:  WIL120-7432-X

Product Name:  WILWOOD FORGED BILLET SUPERLITE CALIPER - 1.38" PISTONS - .810" ROTOR - #WIL120-7432-X 

Sale Price:   $134.36   select left and right calipers

Product ID:  USB9850-6221   

Product Name:  U.S. BRAKE STRAIGHT 32 VANE LIGHTWEIGHT ROTOR - .810"" X 12.19" - 8 BOLT / 7" BOLT CIRCLE - 9.5 LBS. - #USB9850-6221 

Sale Price:   $40.94  same for left and right

Product ID:  ALL48025

Product Name:  ALLSTAR BRAKE PROPORTIONING VALVE 

Sale Price:   $39.94 

Line adapters

Product ID:  AERFBM2511

Product Name:  AEROQUIP STEEL -03 MALE FLARE / 1/8 NPT STRAIGHT ADAPTER - #AERFBM2511 

Sale Price:   $2.96   need 4 qty

Product ID:  ALL48112

Product Name:  ALLSTAR 15 #3 BRAIDED STEEL BRAKE HOSE - STRAIGHT END / 45 DEGREE END 

Sale Price:   $14.94  need 4 qty

Product ID:  EAR989545

Product Name:  EARLS STEEL TUBING ADAPTER -3 AN TO 10MM X 1.0 FEMALE INVERTED FLARE - #EAR989545 

Sale Price:   $4.79  need 4 qty

As for brake pads. Simply search for pads that will suit you best. Use "superlite pads" as a key word. Thanks !

With the pads though Wilwoods are a common replacement on Mustangs and even early Holdens and Fords here in Oz so I dare say there would be pads available locally and the calipers would no doubt be the same so would be easy enough to find top range performane pads.

Many, MANY Pads are available for the Wilwood Calipers.

From Ferodo DS2500 fast road/light track pads to the DS3000's for moderate compettion,

Comp. 6/9's to FUCK-OFF HARDCORE 'PFC's'...

Pad availability WON'T be a issue...

This is the email I got back this morning in response to some of the questions from yesterday, also he asks if the 1600 and 260 brakes are compatible as he has not ventured into them, if they are then we could get them on board as well to increase the numbers....... are they interchangable??

Also here is the link to the search I did on HybridZ, some good reading in their

http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=1190402

Stef,

Simply search Superlite caliper pads and you will get all assortment of brake pad suppliers.

Again details of piston diameter is provided at www.wilwood.com http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/012-FSL/index.asp  I believe 1.75" for front and the rears use the same calipers but smaller diameter piston and rotor width.

I have had my setup within 15" wheels but with a 4mm spacer. I suggest 16" wheels to help clear any issues but yes they will fit within 15" wheels.  Caliper over hang is .75"  or  19mm over hub.

I have never dealt with the 1600 so I guess it just a question of weather the oem brakes interchange between both models. That I have no clue.

Companies compete for your business so there are many companies that my brake setup will work with.

I will venture into drawing up 3d image of the rear bracket for a spot caliper. Of course this will add cost to the kit. Anything I can do to help is what I am all about. I suggest going to www.hybridz.org and you will see the great praise on our products receive. And how popular it is to use race proven products such as Wilwood. Their internal parts are made to withstand heat vs Oem calipers. Wilwood is affordable and they are always improving their products. 

View here some of the 3d drawings I have done. This is a Wilwood setup for Nissan spindle 240sx 300zx 350z coming out this Sept. http://www.autobrakeworks.com/Nissan12.9.htm

Let me see what I can come up with soon. Thanks !

Juan

Show me any aftermarket product thats ADR approved.

There are but they cost an arm and a leg, even putting the Hilux or even later model Nissan brakes is technically non ADR as the vehicle never came out with them from factory so you would need engineers reports to say they have been correctly fitted and are up to the task for which they have been installed, or are at least the same or better than the factory set up.

If you prefer I could go to the trouble of having them ADR approved but then you would be paying about $1500 minimum more per kit as the process is very costly and time consuming, oh and I wouldn't be doing that with just peoples word that they "might" buy them.

Eddie it's up to yourself whether or not you want them, enough people use them and have nothing buit praise for these particular kits, check the link to the HybridZ search I did about what people in the US think of these particular manufactured kits and then decide for yourself. If you need it to be ADR approved then I could give you a list of engineers that could do an individual report for you and would no doubt pass them as we are now looking into the park brake caliper adapter also, without which you would need to use a line lock type set up which would most likely not be approved here.

thanks for the info, im doing an engine swap with my zed so i'll get it all done in one hit. ;)

so what would be the exact cost for both fronts and rears (with park brake set up) including shipping to Queensland?

thanks

eddii

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like it's going to be a struggle to get the number to make this go ahead.  Do you reckon he would do a bit better than normal price if the people who are interested went ahead with the purchase?  Even if it just saves a bit on freight by getting them sent together as I think somebody suggested in an earlier post.

Doesn't look like it.

After speaking with Stef, I've (personally) decided not to go ahead with this kit.

I can purchase the Calipers, Hats & Rotors cheaply enough here & make/machine the hats & caliper brackets to suit my desired setup/application myself.

I sent him an email last week regarding the park brake caliper bracket but am still to get a response, like I said as soon as I know you guys will know.

Alternatively Lurch might be kind enough to machine us all up some brackets, what do you say big fella??  ;D

I'm still up for whatever as long as it has mechanical rear brakes so i have no issues later on with rwc's etc

and i have the money sitting here for whatever works out best $$ wise, be that parts locally machined or flown in with parts bought locally, so even if its just saving money on postage count me in

I would of thought for JSK the rear park brake wouldn't have been that hard since they already know the offset of the rotor from their existing braket...