Qld based guys. 23/24 February trackday opportunity at Morgan Park

dat2kman

Anyone on hete interested in a no frills have a go track day at Morgan Park?

A weekend is being held by HRCC for its members, and members friends!

Of course, you are ALL my friends!

The setup is, on the Saturday they will run untimed, lap sessions, in groups of 8 to 10 cars, depending on which track layout they are allocated, it is more for testing, tuning and just trying it out.

It is called

TTT!

The sunday is a bit more serious with timed sprints, in groups of cars.

You can enter one, the other or both days!

As this is a CAMS track, you will need a cAMS licence, but WAIT, the HRCC will organise for you a one or two day licence, just for the weekend, as well as affilate memetship to the HRCC just for this event.

And because it is an official club event, anyone with the concessional rego can use the wedkend for a valid run up to Morgan Pk.

Anyone intersted, message me, or reply here, i will get an information pack out to you.

Once again, its a no frill no fuss no pressure opportunity to try out Morgan Oark, rather than the much higher demands of the full on four round SuperSprint series that costs around $560 to run

Entry fee for this will be under $200 for both days, and around $100 for each day. TBC

I may be interested if, if, the fast 'turn right after the bridge' circuit is going to be used, the rest are of no real interest to me.

I, nor you, can dictate what teack will be used.

Last year, they DID use turn right after bridge!

This year, i have no idea, but, would you like me to get you an info pack?

Just in case !!!

Thank you for this info. There is no way I would be taking my Z on the track, but would be a good day or days to go for a run in the Z to watch the cars go around. Will check the calendar for 2013 and see if I am home that weekend and if so will book mark it. 8)

Jason, if non-"Qld based guys" are welcome, could you send an information pack my way ? I love a good road trip, its only a day's drive up the road :)

I quite enjoyed Morgan Park at the Datsun Nationals a few years back, wouldn't mind another run up there. $200-ish for 2 days is a bargain, can't get anything much under that for a single day down here (cost me $290 for one day on the Eastern Creek South Circuit a few weeks back)

And being a CAMS supersprint, it will get me one step closer to next years goal of acquiring a CAMS clubman circuit licence.

Jason, if non-"Qld based guys" are welcome, could you send an information pack my way ? I love a good road trip, its only a day's drive up the road :)

I quite enjoyed Morgan Park at the Datsun Nationals a few years back, wouldn't mind another run up there. $200-ish for 2 days is a bargain, can't get anything much under that for a single day down here (cost me $290 for one day on the Eastern Creek South Circuit a few weeks back)

And being a CAMS supersprint, it will get me one step closer to next years goal of acquiring a CAMS clubman circuit licence.

Just don't bring the rain with you, like you did at Phillip Island. Wouild be good to catch up again  ;D

Thank you for this info. There is no way I would be taking my Z on the track, but would be a good day or days to go for a run in the Z to watch the cars go around. Will check the calendar for 2013 and see if I am home that weekend and if so will book mark it. 8)

Peter T!

The Saturday component of that weekend, is designed for basic standard very limited modified, registered road going cars.

Yours will be fine for this!

It is an opportunity for you to get a little more comfortable with driving yor car, in safe controlled conditions, you may even explore it handling capabilities, and yor own limits.

There will be sessions where an experienced driver, sits in your passenger seat, and "talks" you around the circuit a few times.

The emphasis is on fun and having a bit of a play.

would have been interested but thats the weekend i leave for my road trip down to victoria :P next open day I'm definitely keen

The HRCC only organise one of these each year. Generally February.

They do plan to run a full day of sprints only, at Norwell Driving Centre, later in the year.

The other things you could try, and your cars would be suitable, is the Regularity component of the two larger weekends they organise at Morgan Park, but for these, you do need to be a paid up member, and hold a CAMS L2S licence, and entry fee is higher again.

Dave 1600, of course you are welcome, i will get info out to all, when available.

To make it even more enticing, the teack operator could??, be running private practice on the friday, and you can enter both Saturday and asunday all on the one set of forms.

As you are already a cams affiliated club member and hold a L2S licence, it will just be the entry fee.

Oh and there should??, be passenger rides, so maybe the kids might like a trip north!!!

The information package and entry forms for that weekend are now available.

Very low cost,

$90 for the whole day on Saturday, and,

$105 for the supersprints on Sunday.

You can run either or both.

The format for Saturday is very simple, it is aimed at introducing those who have little or none track experience, to get out and have a gentle go.

There will be sessions for the more expetienced.

I aim to be thete, and will be available for driver training and track familiarisation, along with a few othets.

OK, pm /message me your direct email address and i will email you tje info.

Even better, if anyone can upload onto the forum, hete, the info and attached forms, i can email it all to you.

No, i dont know how to put an email on here!

I've been thinking (yeah, doesn't happen often...) - is there any way to do the CAMS Observed Licence Test over the weekend ? Will there be any accredited "observers" there ? If so, who / how can I get in contact with / arrange this with ?

Basically, I'm looking to move up from L2S to a Clubman Circuit licence, I was going to do 5 CAMS acredited supersprint / regularity events to qualify but most of the events I do are now run under AASA (which I gather rules them out from being "CAMS acredited" ??). If its possible to easily do the OLT, that will save some time / effort / expense.

Any thoughts or advice ??

I've been thinking (yeah, doesn't happen often...) - is there any way to do the CAMS Observed Licence Test over the weekend ? Will there be any accredited "observers" there ? If so, who / how can I get in contact with / arrange this with ?

Basically, I'm looking to move up from L2S to a Clubman Circuit licence, I was going to do 5 CAMS acredited supersprint / regularity events to qualify but most of the events I do are now run under AASA (which I gather rules them out from being "CAMS acredited" ??). If its possible to easily do the OLT, that will save some time / effort / expense.

Any thoughts or advice ??

Unfortunately, NO, that weekend, or, any other events that you enter in Regularity or SuperSprints, will not qualify you to be observed for your license upgrade from L2S to Provisional Clubman Circuit.

How to do it?

First you need a logbooked car, that complys with either a category for a State round race meet, or, a Historic Race meet.

Here in Qld, the process is far simpler than NSW, for your first and only OLT ( Observed Licence Test) you just need to enter, run and finish in a full race meeting, without causing the Clerk of Course or Stewards any concern over yoyr driving standards, they also dont like an obvious lily livered pussy back marker, ie they want to see you racing!

Dave, your 1600 could qualify for an IPRA car, or set it up as a Historic Group N car, GpN would be more suited, but check the ejegibility, or a Roadster in Group S, far more genteel racing.

You then run a further five meetings within 2 years, on P plates, get your license signed off at each, then you are on Open.

In NSW they make you do the OLT at a seperate driving school ie Peter Finlay, at very high expense, then you still do the five signatures.

HRCC are running two meetings this year at Morg Pk, so if you can get a car "approved in principle" with logbook application in , but no logbook isdued, yet, you could run around at rhe back of a pack of race cars for the OLT, then you could run a couple of Historic meets at Eastern Ck under CAMS, and with your PCC, also enter some Wakefield Historic meets, ( but you may need an AASA licence for their insurance)

Up here in aqld, we run full door to door races at Lakeside and Qld Raceway, with a CAMS CC licence, and the AASA basic clubman, the track operator requires you to buy it, i think Wakefield may be the same.

Either way, you get to race, properly, rather than dicking around playing supersprints forever and bragging that you "race" a car!

Now, what do we need to do to that Roadster of yours?????

Jason, thanks for clearing that up ! I remembered you saying at the PI 6 hour that it was easier up north than here in NSW so thought I'd ask the question.

What do I need to do to the roadster ? Hmmm, get it out of my brother's shed for a start  :o.

That's pretty much what I'm aiming for - do the SP311 up as an Sb racecar, nothing too flash, stick with running the 1600 motor rather than the U20. I've been gradually collecting bits for it and have spoken to the Group S eligibility guys, can't see any problems (except for lack of money / time). I don't have any illusions of being at the front of the field, just want to take another step up the ladder and have a crack at real racing after 7-8 years of supersprints and regularity.

I did look at Nc in the 1600, but they are a little bit more, umm, competitive ?? Group S does indeed look much more civilised.

Anyway, I'll definitely be up in Feb, will fill in the forms tonight. Look forward to seeing you guys again.

"Either way, you get to race, properly, rather than dicking around playing supersprints forever and bragging that you "race" a car!"

You need to get out more Jason, reality is that there are road cars out there doing lap times and speeds that you histronics blokes would prefer to believe are not possible. Wheel to wheel racing is good, providing it's done at a level that actually looks like real racing, not like a bunch of old blokes out for a messy Sunday cruise.

doing lap times

That is pretty much the point though - doing fast lap times in sprints / regularity is fun, challenging and all that, and I've had a ball doing it over the years, but the most fun I've had on the track has been when I've found a car / driver of similar speed and ability and circulated in very close proximity to them (we weren't racing, you're not allowed to race in sprints and regularity  ;) ). 

Historics will suit me fine, from what I've seen while sitting beside the track waving flags at them, they seem to be the most "courteous" (ie good, close yet clean racing), and you can spend as much or as little as you like and still find another driver to race with (even if its racing for last place  ;D)

"Either way, you get to race, properly, rather than dicking around playing supersprints forever and bragging that you "race" a car!"

You need to get out more Jason, reality is that there are road cars out there doing lap times and speeds that you histronics blokes would prefer to believe are not possible. Wheel to wheel racing is good, providing it's done at a level that actually looks like real racing, not like a bunch of old blokes out for a messy Sunday cruise.

There's other categories out there than Historics......... Come and have a look at Prod Sports at a one hour race, some GT3 cars by invitation, some Fecking quick 2B category cars, try 54's at lakeside holding back so the slower cars get a full run, and through to 2F cars that still sport number plates.

Unfortunately we only race at places like Bathurst Eastern Creek, Morgan Park, but only the full circuit, not the one some only want to run at, and Phillip Island. The other problem is we have rules that the cars have to built to, but my cheap Ghetto racer should be good for 56's at Lakeside looking at what Paul Williams did with his S14, and that was on semis, I will run full slicks and a lot lighter with plastic panels and the only restriction basically being Standard snail and manifolds.

Sprints and the glorified version time attack just does not compare to door to door racing. I only do a couple of sprints a year in the hairdresser car just to keep my eye in for lines, sprints do nothiing for race craft and passing other cars off line. I am really working hard to have the ghetto racer out on the track this year so I can have a full race seaon in 2014 with hopefully a drive or two in our enduros this year.

Yeh I was responding to Jason's stir, it does not bother me who races what, even Excels. If it's motorsport and you enjoy it good on you but no slagging of someone elses choice or if you do expect some back. In a good natured way of course  ;D

OOOOOOOOOHHHH

high comp l30 "should" be in the car and run in by then... super keen for that, that's my birthday/wedding anniversary weekend so maybe I can come play. only interested in the Saturday tho and i will be needing some coilovers as i don't want to rock my boat.

My only concern is, are there any rules regarding cars that can be entered.. I only own a 1983 280zx and would love to have a fun training day, but cannot find any info regarding age limits for cars.

cheers

Nic

• 3 weeks later...

Entries for this do need to be sent in by beginning of February!

The Saturday component is the one to go for for anyone who jst wants a gentle play, well recommended, and a lot of fun.

You dont need a spuer special car, just yoyr normal road going toy.

Any questions post here.