I think I may have been ripped off...

zanzee01

Hi, as some of you know I have been having work done on my black 260z 2+2 (as I am not knowledgeable enough to DIY to this extent... yet). 

Have spend 6k on the engine (not a rebuild) incl. heater core, radiator, hoses, electrics, full check of everything mechanical and electrical, brakes etc. at a 'reputable' reasonably large company- went there as two of the blokes said they knew about zeds and had done this before etc. etc. went through what I wanted weeks in advance so they knew the scope of the job, with written list etc.

Got the car back (with rwc), no speedo, no fuel gauge, fuel sender shot, leaking petrol somewhere (I think, as she stinks of fuel when driving), can't put the clutch all the way down as it touches some linkage, choke cable (I supplied second hand working one) not useable, indicator not working, no tail lights and runs like a hairy dog (much worse than when she went in there), won't start 1/2 the time and snuffs at the first sign of a hill or fan/air con use.

Now... I may be over-reacting, but I am SPEWING. It's worth noting that at no stage did I ask for a dodgy rwc or anything like that.

I have spoken to a couple of people... one of which said 'well you can't expect the car to be running beautifully when it's that old'. They are now quite sore.

Can I get some advice from the people that really know what they're talking about? Am I over-reacting or am I justified in blowing through him like a rat up a drain pipe?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Zanzee

You have every right to be pi$$ed off.  $6K is a lot of money and you should be happy with the work.  (That's almost a full AZC suspension kit  :o  )

I don't know how it works up there, but all the way down here in Vic, if you now took your car to Vic Roads and asked them to inspect it, they would obviously fail it.  As it has a new and current RWC, they would require the dodgy bastard to rectify all the faults at his expense or lose his licence to inspect vehicles!!

So when you take it back to this bloke to fix all his F ups, you can tell him that if you're not happy with his work, you'll take the car to Qld's version of Vic Roads.  A licence to inspect vehicles is worth a lot of coin to a workshop - not so much the inspection, but the extra work it generates.

Oh and good work with the smart pr1ck that thinks old should be sh1t.

I would like to help but unless I know the FULL story and the people you dealt with it is pointless to make a comment. I had issues with my engine builder but he fixed it all up given the time frame when rebuilding an old car. 8)

Sorry to say, sounds like thay have even dipped the pineapple in chilli before inserting it.

I would be going back there to either get the work completed to the correct standard as per your original scope, or getting a refund and taking it to another shop and also approaching the MTA and RACQ, if you are a member, to see if you have any recourse. RACQ would help with advice on how to approach the workshop and may also be able to offer legal advice to redress the situation.

It's not like a Z is hard to work on, sure thay have some idiocincracies being and "old" car, but they are dead simple, even I know my way round most of a Z.

Hi Scoota G, here's the original list:

Brakes:

• resleeve the rear cylinders

• check the master, new seals if needed

• flush and refill the system

• check the drums are round and the discs are flat, rehone and skim if needed

• check front brakes

Clutch:

• check the master and slave, and replace seals if needed, flush and new fluid regardless

• check gearbox

• check diff

Steering

• check and replace ball joints if needed

• check and replace tie rod ends if needed

• check steering box, may need new sleeves

• wheel alignment

• check shock absorbers, should be OK

• suspension bushes

Cooling:

• new water pump and thermostat

• new hoses and clamps

• new belts

• pressure check radiator

• flush and clean and refill system

• check the heater core - it has been blocked off so probably leaks. Can it be repaired or does it need replacement

• check overflow hose, replace if needed

Tune-up

• fit new plugs (I have those)

• new distributor cap and rotor

• new points and condensor

• check all vacuum hoses, replace if at all suspect

• new high-tension leads unless the previous owner has replaced them recently

• new fuel filters

• tune-up

• check carby oil

• timing

Electrics

• check all lights, instruments, instrument lights, alternator, fuses

Other

• fit and mount the new choke cable I have found for it, will need greasing

• oil change and filter

• fit bonnet cable and latch

• check anything else I have missed on the car

• rwc

MaygZ thanks for your comments- that may be a good way to get them to fix some of the things. Spoke to them yesterday, didn't seem interested and said they wouldn't touch electrics again but have told them I am coming down Wednesday to show them what's going on. Hopefully some joy then. :)

peter t yeah fair enough. I suppose I could've been expecting him to do the job in 2 days! LOL he had the car for about 6 weeks before I started asking questions. :)

Should this workshop be named and shamed to protect the innocent?  >:(    Or is this going to turn into a set of carbies?  :-[

Sorry what do you mean by turning into a set of carbies? I am curious now.

It's Brakes Plus I went to. ONLY because the two blokes assured me they knew so much about zeds and had raced them and rebuilt before. I don't know that they approved of a chick owning a zed! LOL

Thanks Paul  I'm glad it's not just me.

GL240GTR - Thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking. :)

Sorry to say, sounds like thay have even dipped the pineapple in chilli before inserting it.

We'll I can't say I've ever heard that expression before! Thanks for your advice, I am hoping I will have some joy next week. I was going to take her up to the QLD christmas meet but don't know if she will make it. Anyone got a hitch on theirs? LOL!

Oh, you're a CHICK!!

I am really sorry to say that explains a lot.  It is sad but true that many in the trades will attempt to take advantage of you.  I'm sure that we can assist you when you need us.  Just ask Q's here and then you will be armed (hopefully) with the right advice.  Ask on here before getting work done as there are many on here that can recommend business' in Brisbane.  One of the guys might even be able to have a look at your car for you.  That may save you lots of time and heart ache.

The other problem with you being a girl:  Dimitri may start speaking french to you!!

Have a go at fixing some of the basic things yourself.  Many of them are pretty easy and with a manual you can just work your way through it.  Don't let your boyfriend drive it!  EVER!  If he wants a cool car he should buy his own, not just have a cool girlfriend.  If you let him drive it, you'll never know if he loves you or it's just your car he's after.  ;)

The carbie thing?  Pretty sure it doesn't apply here, but some searching on this forum will answer those questions for you.

$6,000 and you got your car back like that?? Ask the workshop for the old parts back and ask to look at their work/labour logs Take photos and make copies of any invoices etc aswell as your RWC and if it is still current go and report it to your RTA as any rwc tester has to abide by standards and regulations in order to issue a rwc.

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh615/zanzee01/invoice002.jpg

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh615/zanzee01/invoice001.jpg

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh615/zanzee01/invoice003.jpg

Hi, here are the links to the invoices, sorry didn't know how to do PDF files. Haha MaygZ, unfortunately it seems to make a difference with all things cars! Maybe I should go butch... LOL

$900 for a radiator?  Many more things on that list are iffy. The office person had to be paid 3k just to come up with (and type) all that.

They must have a copy and paste invoice system that they just supply to every customer and take out the parts they think they won't get away with?

You saud it is a Brakes Plus shop, which one?

So that others up here will know NOT to go there.

I would also be very interested to know the names of the two blokes who, apparently, race ???, Z cars, as there is a pretty tight fraternity of Z car racers up here and we all pretty well know each other.

Brakes Plus = Midas Mufflers for all repair work, it now seems.

You must persue this, the list on page one here is quite explicit in work requirement, and all work can be fairly clisely calculated out on time with the MTAQ service job time allowances.

It very much seems that there has been price gouging on the majority of the work done, the fact that the car is old has no bearing, do you think a tough looking bloke with plenty of mates would stand for a 6k bill to have this work done on his 1976 HX Holden sedan?

Same era car, same amount of problems occur.

Yep, whats these blokes names, and where is the shop???

Can someone up there please go and have a look at this car and see if any of the work was actually done?  It shouldn't take long to spot $600 of new bushes, $100 wheel cylinders, a $450 steering rack let alone the $900 gold plated radiator.

$76 for 2nd hand engine mounts?  That's expensive for new ones!  $100 for a $40 water pump is steep.  $200 for brake pads??  $90 per front disc??  $284 for replacing some globes!!  And now they refuse to do any electrical work on the car?

What are the chances it has had a $30 engine wash and a bottle of Bars Leaks??  And that is ALL!!

I'm with MaygZ, can someone from up the please lend some assistants and get to the bottom of this . This sort of thing should not be allowed to happen. They may have gotten away with it if the car was handed over in good working order as it should have been. If this was in Melbourne the guys would be all over it. Does make the blood boil just a little bit.