71 replies to this topic

#61 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Out of interest could you fit an RB30 turbo to a 240Z and still road register it in NSW? I know it comes very close based on the weight formula. What is the weight of the car that engineers use when certifying, and I am assuming you can use the heaviest weight eg, all options which for a 240 is probably A/C and auto transmission. The relevant weight figure should remove a lot of confusion, after that, just multiply the capacity and you can find out if it can be done. Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent... :)

If anyone knows the relevant weights for the 240, 260 coupe and 2+2 could they please post these up. Cheers.  :)

#62 singhy

singhy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Out of interest could you fit an RB30 turbo to a 240Z and still road register it in NSW? I know it comes very close based on the weight formula. What is the weight of the car that engineers use when certifying, and I am assuming you can use the heaviest weight eg, all options which for a 240 is probably A/C and auto transmission. The relevant weight figure should remove a lot of confusion, after that, just multiply the capacity and you can find out if it can be done. Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent... :)

If anyone knows the relevant weights for the 240, 260 coupe and 2+2 could they please post these up. Cheers.  :)

its the orginal weight of the car NOT including extras such as A/C setups etc. as for power, its the original power of the car, say for example 200hp+ 20% is the total, in this case an engine that is under 240hp.

#63 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Table LA1 Recommended Maximum Engine Capacity
MASS OF VEHICLE
Maximum Engine Capacity (refer to notes below)
Naturally Aspirated Turbo/Supercharged
All vehicles originally weighing
less than 800 kg.
Original mass (kg) x 3.0
= max. capacity in cc’s
Original mass (kg) x 2.5
= max. capacity in cc’s
between 800 kg and 1100 kg.
Original mass (kg) x 4.0
= max. capacity in cc’s
Original mass (kg) x 2.75
= max. capacity in cc’s
more than 1100 kg.
Original mass (kg) x 5.0
= max. capacity in cc’s
Original mass (kg) x 3.0
= max. capacity in cc’s

So a 240Z, assume 1050 KG, the max engine is 2.75 x 1050= 2887.5cc

Drat!!! So we need to convince them that a 240Z weighs 1091KG to run a 3 liter turbo Grrr......

#64 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Tagline:John.O.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Remember.

If you are quoting a 240 at 1050 kg's dry weight, you have to add for 10 litres of fuel, cooling and lubricats fluids.

I had the same issue with mine as it came in short of 1100 kg's but adding the fluid weights which is totally acceptable to establish the weight pushed it over 1100 kg's

Cheers

John

#65 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Cheers John,

so from that they actually weigh the completed car rather than go on manufacturers published figures? I had assumed that they went on published figures to date. If they use actual weights then you may just squeeze a 3 liter turbo in. This would allow the use of the RB30 and 2JZ. I had assumed that this weight rule was why you didn't see any RB30 or 2J zeds floating around and why people opted for the RB25/26 or the 1J. Perhaps people don't see the need for 400+HP in an S30  ;D

Cheers

#66 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Tagline:John.O.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

LOL

No, Nissan released the weight of each model as dry weight, so a 240Z at 1050kg was less fluids, like cooling system, engine oil, trans and diff oil, fuel.

1 litre of fluids is anout a kilo, so add up all the fluids including fuel and a road going 240z stock standard is probably over 1100 kg's

Cheers

John

#67 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

OK that is better I knew something was missing "not needing to be certified" was the missing bit. Your rules are much the same as we have here in NZ. The 20% HP limit applies here to but we can't do any engine conversion without a cert. So here in NZ the rb20det is out without a cert.

#68 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

esshh, looks like an r20det for now, when i actually get a REAL job and not casual job inbetween uni, i may go down the engineering approval way (or wait for my bro to finish uni, hes doing mechanical and thinking about joining engineering approval jobs thingo hehe)

Pretty sure you will still need an engineers certificate because you're putting a turbo engine into an n/a car, regardless of capacity.  Best to have a good read before you do anything.

#69 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

Me thinks you need to have a good read through the rules YOURSELF Singhy, rather than listening to the advise you've been given.
The guys here have a pretty good handle on the rules. And it sounds like you're just trying to avoid an engineers certificate.
Bottom line is, unless you stay L series. You will need an Engineers Certificate!

#70 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,651 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

My opinion is if your tight on money at the moment don't do engine swaps. Instead get the car on the road with an L-series engine, maybe do some cheap mods that can help performance, like some mild port work, a camshaft and electronic ignition with a good tune. Enjoy it and drive it around, save your pennies for the engine you want, do your research and then make a decision after talking with engineers.

You will need uprated brakes, suspension etc.. with an engine swap it will all add up quickly. Also a Z standard doesn't have an LSD so you won't be able to easily get all that power to the ground anyway until you fit an LSD and maybe also improve the rear drive shafts. Reality is, it's going to cost you good money to do it right.

Hence I'm of the opinion that you should stick with the original motor for now and do your engine swap later. University Students also need beer money :).

#71 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Singhy,

From my experience with engine swaps, work out what you think it will cost then double it , and you may get close to what it will end up costing !!!
So 1+ on Gav's comments.

Nothing worse than starting a project then running out funds  :(

Cheers

PB

#72 singhy

singhy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

i may to ask a few different engineers cause the one basically said 'no you cant do anything hehe)... but i thought it says in rules that if it fits under all the size/weight etc, cept if the engine is turboed then its orginal mass x 3.0 , and the engine just has to fit under that size .... but ill ask another engineer about it first.

i havnt got the original engine or running gear and this car already has a z31 lsd and drive shafts fitted ( so no problems there)

i dont think engine swaps cost that much when you do everything yourself , including fab, paint... i never really get someone else to do stuff for me (cept me old man and brother) .  my bro and i built a z31 with a z32 running gear, s13 front and rear end (inc subframe) and all paint and panel work  for under $3000, including cost of the car ($400).

but ill have a better read of the rules and think about it and might end up just buying a l28 for now  :)

thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users