what engine should i use???

singhy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a good L29 will have 170kw and 270lb and kick ass over any Rb20 and a L 34 will have 350hp and 300lb  Rb20 is a second rate Rb , go a Rb25 if your fitting a Rb  or you will be very UN excited also the best bang for buck the 25 is a strong and fun thing in a zed

how much would you have to spend to get that much power out of an L series??? (i should be able to pick up the crank for next to nothing so dont count that) and porting etc i can do myself aswell.

the reason why i chose an rb20 is cause i have one already, and 2nd because it fits under the new NCOP laws in NSW. the 25 wont  :-[

hahah if you can port that well you should not have to ask its only taken me 25 years to get that sort of port  and power from them , good luck with your build

well i wouldnt say im the best at porting, i only say that cause ive been porting old ford cross flows heads/ and cleaning up manifolds and stuff, thats about it haha and they do go better after , but im defs no machinist lol.

• Administrators

the truth is a L can be so fast in a zed people remove them before they see how good they can be , i think there a great thing  NA there so good , check out some off Gordos vids at P I

Linky Link?

a good L29 will have 170kw and 270lb and kick ass over any Rb20 and a L 34 will have 350hp and 300lb  Rb20 is a second rate Rb , go a Rb25 if your fitting a Rb  or you will be very UN excited also the best bang for buck the 25 is a strong and fun thing in a zed

I agree with you that an l28 can be made to go faster than an rb20det, but it sounds as though this guy is on a budget. My rb20det has cost me $3000 to fit and it has been dynoed at 265 rwhp. That's around 180 rwkw. An it is still fairly stock. How much would it cost to get the l28 to those hp levels? A lot more than $3000 I am guessing. I am just talking bang for buck here. And yeh I will one day upgrade to an rb25det my self

I agree with you that an l28 can be made to go faster than an rb20det, but it sounds as though this guy is on a budget. My rb20det has cost me $3000 to fit and it has been dynoed at 265 rwhp. That's around 180 rwkw. An it is still fairly stock. How much would it cost to get the l28 to those hp levels? A lot more than $3000 I am guessing. I am just talking bang for buck here. And yeh I will one day upgrade to an rb25det my self

Well said Mick. Though i still think even l29 with 170kw against a lightly boosted rb20 have no chance. You have 180kw at the wheels thats over 200kw at fly. The l29 will guzzle while the rb will return 10l.

Sorry bang for buck rb20 is unbeaten. Than for tiny bit more rb25 is best bang but the gearbox is bit more and install of it tiny bit harder. Mine had larger vg30turbo,chip, cooler, exhaust,cold intake and boost controller with 17psi. Estimated over 200rwkw. Made mince meat out of modified xy gtho. Thats basically dead stock rb20 internally.

U can make a rb23 using rb25 internals, bigger injectors, apexi power fc ,z32 airflow and a cam and u looking well over 250kw at the wheels on a budget rebuild. Rb23 has lot more tourqe and retains its fast reving characteristics unlike bit lazy rb25. Since u got ur rb20 for free wont be that exy. Though read up more details on rb23 on SAU i think there are few tiny details u need to know.

As for sump. I used original skyline one. Cut 20mm or so from the mounting all around. Rotated it 180 and welded it up. As for pick up i ordered new 200zr one from nissan $68. If u can find zr sump even easier but almost $600 new but no longer available.

Saying all that ive seen Peters creation in Robertos car and its simply artwork.

Music to the ears and only way to go if u want to have period correct high performance car or racing in a class where rb is not allowed.

L28et with 300hp at the tyres is heaps of fun trust me! But ide just stick the rb in way cheaper and easy i still have to get my rb swap done in the other car (its only been a year dont rush me man haha) so i cant compare driveability yet but im sure it will be "nicer" i really want a rb26 but want and need.....

Im gonna throw a spanner in the works..how about a 1JZ gte?.

Often overlooked and better than a rb25 imo..having owned both a Chaser and skylines. I prefer the 1JZ hands down. Stonger, smoother, more powerful and generally found in better condition as they are usually auto. You can also buy fitting kits into s30 aswell.

Personally i had the resources to go rb25/26 but chose to stick with my L28et as to me a rb or any modern straight 6 doesnt sound right in a zed.

A reliable 200rwkw with a truckload of torque should be achievable on a budget build L28ET using an unopened L28E engine and fitting the turbo gear to it.  It's still not going to be a cheap exercise though and you need a good computer or it will be thirsty and a pig to drive.

For the few hundred dollars difference, I would go an RB25 over an RB20 considering how much you're going to spend to get it in there and running anyway.

i agree with peter i drove a boosted r32 and it was gutless, it had plenty of HP but no torque, my 280zx is now boosted and has stacks of torque and im still running the factory ecu which is a bi@tch as you need to tune with FPR and AFM. i have owened a z32 twin turbo and my 280zx with 6 psi of boost would almost keep up with it. as for the rb20det if you have it use it its a cheap option but dont go expecting loads of grunt they can be a good reliable engine but lack torque which is where the L28 or L28et will kill it.

just my thoughts

cheers pauly

Just to throw another 2 cents in, why not put in the RB20 for now and see if you like it? If you decide you need more torque, save up and put a RB25 in it? Would keep it in the budget for now and in the future it wouldn't be too hard to swap the RB25 in.

Give the man a cigar.  ;D

Wheeling and Dealing it cost me $1900 to build a stock bottomed 302 Cleveland with all the good bits up top and $200 for a conversion kit that i heavily modified. That included extractors, exhaust, electronic ignition, transmission and blah blah blah. Think i've done around 450 hrs work on the car and would've cost heaps more if i had someone do it. As everyone says you can save heaps of bucksdoing it yourself. Having drifted to the dark side with the "heavy" V8 conversion i am still a big fan of my L28 triple carbed 260Z 2 Seater, i just love the sound of it revving.

• Administrators

Wheeling and Dealing it cost me $1900 to build a stock bottomed 302 Cleveland with all the good bits up top and $200 for a conversion kit that i heavily modified. That included extractors, exhaust, electronic ignition, transmission and blah blah blah. Think i've done around 450 hrs work on the car and would've cost heaps more if i had someone do it. As everyone says you can save heaps of bucksdoing it yourself. Having drifted to the dark side with the "heavy" V8 conversion i am still a big fan of my L28 triple carbed 260Z 2 Seater, i just love the sound of it revving.

Give this man some Cuban Cigars! :)

Since V8's are contraband lol....

Well said Mick. Though i still think even l29 with 170kw against a lightly boosted rb20 have no chance. You have 180kw at the wheels thats over 200kw at fly. The l29 will guzzle while the rb will return 10l.

Sorry bang for buck rb20 is unbeaten. Than for tiny bit more rb25 is best bang but the gearbox is bit more and install of it tiny bit harder. Mine had larger vg30turbo,chip, cooler, exhaust,cold intake and boost controller with 17psi. Estimated over 200rwkw. Made mince meat out of modified xy gtho. Thats basically dead stock rb20 internally.

U can make a rb23 using rb25 internals, bigger injectors, apexi power fc ,z32 airflow and a cam and u looking well over 250kw at the wheels on a budget rebuild. Rb23 has lot more tourqe and retains its fast reving characteristics unlike bit lazy rb25. Since u got ur rb20 for free wont be that exy. Though read up more details on rb23 on SAU i think there are few tiny details u need to know.

As for sump. I used original skyline one. Cut 20mm or so from the mounting all around. Rotated it 180 and welded it up. As for pick up i ordered new 200zr one from nissan $68. If u can find zr sump even easier but almost $600 new but no longer available.

Saying all that ive seen Peters creation in Robertos car and its simply artwork.

Music to the ears and only way to go if u want to have period correct high performance car or racing in a class where rb is not allowed.

yeh thanks for the info mate, i think i may actually have an 200zr oil kicking around actually ( i knew stripping and keeping car parts would come in handy hehe) .... the rb23 sounds like a pretty good idea actually, shouldnt be too hard ill look it up.

sounds as though the sump is pretty easy to mod and make it fit. cause im not a fan of the rb25 and the 26 is way to expensive for me , so rb20 with 25 internals would be good.

nah ill just mod thing 2+2 to all buggery, gonna try and mock up an s13 rear end as well.... if i do a period correct car, id get a 240z or 2 seater 260z. cheers

L28et with 300hp at the tyres is heaps of fun trust me! But ide just stick the rb in way cheaper and easy i still have to get my rb swap done in the other car (its only been a year dont rush me man haha) so i cant compare driveability yet but im sure it will be "nicer" i really want a rb26 but want and need.....

hopefully mine wont take too long haha

yeh thats true old school motors with high hp are always fun.... i had an old fairlane running a 250 2v motor and had around 280hp. and no one saw me coming when i flogged em at the lights hehe.

yeh rb26 way to pricey, spose we could all wait a few years till they go down in value but ehh.

Personally, I'd like an RB20 NA with triple carbs. You'd need to raise the compression and open up the ports, maybe a 25 head?

My S20 replica  8)

I'd prefer a turbo'd 20 over 25 purely for classes. Keeps you under 3.5L.

But would an SR20 be a better option? ???

yeh thats the reason for the rb20, cause the new rules coming out/already out? in NSW means i cant actually legally fit in a rb25/26 cause its over the hp limit  :'(

i was thinking an sr20, but then i got given the rb20.......... ive driven an s13 with an sr and come across a lightly modded rb20 and the rb blew it away hehe

Just to throw another 2 cents in, why not put in the RB20 for now and see if you like it? If you decide you need more torque, save up and put a RB25 in it? Would keep it in the budget for now and in the future it wouldn't be too hard to swap the RB25 in.

yeh i might do that and just try it, fitting and replacing engines arnt too hard to do, i spose i can just play around with a few motors then choose the best ones