240z vx 260z - ?

ozzy 79

G'day,

Post inspired by DevilZhee - http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,11976.0.html

I'm a 280zx guy.  I grew up driving in cars with air con, and was jealous of people with auto windows, I liked leather or wood trim, even if it was fake... (IE middle class family)  When I saw my first 280zx (once I actually started paying attention to cars at all), and researched them, I was in love - a sports car with all the creature comforts, right down to spray washers for the headlights - that was as old as I was! (Give or take a year)

So, aside from a little bit of OCD regarding the idea of owning an "original" Zed, the 240z, 260z, and 280z have never held much of an interest. Frankly, when I see a pre-280zx car, I have to look at the badge to know if it's a 240z or 260z...  (And... did the 280z even come to Australia?)

What are the tangible differences between the 240z and 260z?  What makes you a 240z lover versus a 260z lover? 

Do you all really just look at the 280zx and think - overweight piece of crap... :}

Cheers

Ozzy79

280zx overweight piece of crap??? hell NO.

like you i preferred the 280zx over the earlier z car. (some 17yrs ago) even got one of my teachers to buy one for himself. he asked which one. i said 280zx for same reasons as you mentioned power everything and looked more modern. so he took my advice.

Hes probably cursing me now  :-[

anyway.

240 vs 260

240 is the original and probably most recognised Z car. even when i had 260 people were saying oh 240Z or Z car.

240Z has different dash different door trims, different size engine and carbies. different rear light to a 260z 2 seater and slightly lighter than 260z. other than that they appear identical

I personally prefer 240z rear light and dash. looks lot more sporty. You pay for not having a/c but you soon learn these cars are not for lounging but driving and enjoying the car and the road.

Want a sofa get a big yank tank or ozzy taxis. ie commodore falcon. want a smile on your face put the window and foot down and enjoy the music and hot wind.

260z 2+2 is slightly longer with a rear seat for people less than 50cm tall. or if u dont mind moving front seat forward so your knees touch the dash to fit adults.

saying that i did have 4 adults in my 2+2 and wasn't as bad. though im tall and wasn't that comfortable but doable. ur kids can come for a ride too hence the popularity of them in the mid 70s. more practical car. drives well and to the ones that dont know couldnt tell the differance.

Due to extra lenght 2+2 appear to have a hump on the roof which looses the sleekness of the 2 seater. its not noticable at first but if you have each one side by side 2 seater's are lot more elegant.

280zx 2+2 like ones we got here are similar to the 260z 2+2 bit long and a bit hunchback.

280z 2 seater or Fairlady Z S130 in Japan are 2 seater versions and they look damn nice.

similar thing happens to Z31 and Z32. though Z32 I preffer 2+2 due to the width of the car and 2 seaters look a bit stumpy.

on the end of the day I like them all. as long as it has the Nissan and Z badge. 

Before i bought my rx7 for a daily i was looking for a 280zx 2 seater or fairlady Z 280zx 2+2 or Z31 200ZR. price or condition didn't seem to fall in my expectations. so ended up with S2 Rx7 as always had a soft spot for them. very similar to a z just more refined.

I'm glad i did. incredible car but not for people that don't know to work on them or have small budgets.

280zx are more affordable than the earlier ones but eventually they will climb up and have been climbing up in price in last few years.

Get what you like if not good with hands save more money and buy a good example wont be cheap but it will work out cheaper than buying a bucket and fixing it to respectable levels

i'm sure someone else will chip in their views.

I think if 280ZXs were sold locally as a 2 seater they would have a bigger following, LuvemFast's (Simon) car is testament to this.

For me any Z is better in two seater variant.

It depends a lot on what you want out of your car too. I wouldnt like having to daily drive an S30 any more for the reasons you stated, but why have a sports car for a daily if that is your agenda anyway? For me that makes it too much of a compromise, I much prefer to have my weekend special and an XR6 Ute for a daily.

Out of interest have you driven an early Z?

Looks wise, there are lots of slight differences between 240 and 260 but to me it wasn't a deciding factor when looking for a car, it was 2 seater vs 2+2. I prefered 2 seater but there are lots of really cool 2+2's out there. I really feel that 2+2 doesn't look massively different, it's just that many people who choose 2+2 do so because they are on a budget, and that budget also applies to the restoration and modification. But those who spend lots of money and time on their 2+2s, and have a good sense of style, get great results.

Similar deal with 280zx. Just look at Simon's 280zx it is one of my favourite zeds on the forum, and it's not a coincidence that it is that way, he has probably spent 5 times more money on it than the average 280zx owner.

I don't think I've answered the question at all, just expressed some of my views, basically I like all the zeds, but I think they all benefit massively from modifications, and you gotta be prepared to put in a bit of cash after buying the car to get it looking nice.

I like the idea of a the original 240Z and for its day it was a performance car.  But I am all about performance and I couldn't bring myself to hack up an original 240Z to make a more modern performance car out of respect and therefore, the 260Z 2 seater is my favorite.  As for the 2+2 it has it's place, but not in my driveway... :)

Thanks for the answers so far, guys.

Given my list of Zeds in Darwin, I figure I must have gotten better at distinguishing the 240z and 260z... But they really do confuse me.

Don't know how accurate this chart is, but does kind of show that there's not a whole lot of differences between them...

sJLAx.jpg

Sadly I've never driven an early Zed.  Best I've done was to sit in one at a backyard wrecker in Darwin (Noonamah I think).  He had I think a 260z up at his house, and then a field with maybe half a dozen other Zeds sitting in it.  Sat in the 260z, and it certainly feels very different to the 280zx... not least being the dashboard gauges that are very much more all about the speed and the revs... (Also very uncomfortable for me, as it was full of spider webs... so couldn't really get a good feel for it)

When it comes to working on a Zed, I'm quite at home working on the electrics - used to pull apart my toys (Walkie Talkies, 'laser' guns, etc), so the 280zx with all its features was a lot of fun, tracing wiring diagrams etc etc...  Whereas in my mind, restoring a 240z would be more about carbies and body work... very alien to me... (Very generalised there...)

I quite like the idea of a 2 seater... but with a 5yo boy, and another kid on the way, all I'd hear for the next decade would be "Where ya gonna put the kids!"...

What are the tangible differences between the 240z and 260z? 

Very little that is obvious when you see one drive by.  260 is a little heavier due to a slight stiffening of chassis.  Of course the very early 240's were lighter than the next gen 240's.  260 (some :-)) have pollution control.  260 has slightly stroked engine with a couple of extra ponies, but a slight resistance to rev.  Door handles are in different places.  Not much really.

One came in a four seater  ::)

What makes you a 240z lover versus a 260z lover? 

One was first, the other second was second.  There is a desire for the early ones based purely on that. It's all down to personal preference.

It's a bit like the first born child - always the favourite.  But then again the second wife is a vast improvement on the earlier model.

Do you all really just look at the 280zx and think - overweight piece of crap... :}

No, it's also quite ugly and reminds us (me) of a decade that ought to be stricken from history!  FFS, who thought a person should fill their car with red velour and shag-pile carpet!  Really??  Just 'cause it matched your favourite velour suit!  You're all frustrated pimps!!

No, it's also quite ugly and reminds us (me) of a decade that ought to be stricken from history!  FFS, who thought a person should fill their car with red velour and shag-pile carpet!  Really??  Just 'cause it matched your favourite velour suit!  You're all frustrated pimps!!

Pimpin your ex wives bro!  ;D

:'(

Maybe this topic should be renamed

"Drivable fat ugly ZX's that are kick arse Vs stripped out rusty shells that never get worked on cos their owners aren's as cool as me!"

Probably  :-[

You cut me deep, Sheldon  :'(

hahahahahah you two sound like two mother in-laws arguing who's pasta is better. ;D ;D ;D Both taste good  :D sooooo.........

hell funny but maybe scaring ozzy79 away.  ;)

though ozzy if you have kids and want missus on the good side than get one of the 2+2. You can carry the family out on a cruise and when excess baggage is out than you can still have fun by yourself.  ;D

Missus wont whinge about the money you spend as the family will come to enjoy it too. Once they realise the attention they getting you probably won't be able to get rid of them.

260z 2+2 or 280zx 2+2 can look as good as any two seater. heaps of people have proven that on here. just don't put crappy kits like that blue one you posted from US. All they need is clean paint, nice wheels and lowered accordingly to give it a nice stance.

Doesn't have to cost a fortune or do 0-100 under 5sec. They are fun even with light suspension upgrade. Not being powerful prob save you lot of money in fines. If they are clean they are big head turners. your missus will love it. (women love attention heheheheheh  :P)

so go save up and get a nice Z or ZX get what your heart is set on and what u can afford. Don't worry what some of us say here. mostly its just fun and jokes.

Not scared off :)

I recall working on my first 280zx, then sitting in it holding my infant niece, and thinking - yeah one day it'd be cool to be teaching my own kids how to repair/maintain a nice old car like this...  Then when my own kid did come along, there just wasn't any money to consider keeping a Zed... But hopefully that'll change in the near future, and I can start my 5yo changing spark plugs... :)

I'll probably stick with a 280zx... Having stripped one down to the chassis (well, interior at least, plus worked on a fair few engine bay components), I at least know what I'm looking at... and would get a lot more car for my $, compared to a 240z... (Cos let's face it, a 260z just isn't gonna cut it - if you're gonna go back, go right back to where it started).

Nissan failed badly by not importing the 280ZX shorty but it was a different market in the '80's, more about comfort, extras and style. Basically the 280ZX is a very capable car but because they are mainly owned by cheap arses most of them are in not as as good a condition as the S30's.

Love my shorty hybrid 280ZX, the chassis is a lot stiffer and stronger than the tin can S30 and the standard aero is way better. For S30 fans, 260 is best mainly because the chassis is ditto above.

• Administrators

Yeah the ZX is a great car in 2 seater configuration and much more like the earlier S30. My favorite ones are the turbo racing cars like the 1 in this article.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-lime-rock-friday-notebook/