280zx crash at Bathurst Hill climb

tir33d

Not good, hope you're Ok and the car isn't too bad.

Mountain Straight is a pretty daunting piece of road for a hillclimb. You are travelling suprising quick across the finish line.

Other than that, I hope yoou had a good weekend and came home with a bit of plastic to show for it.

I'm fine, 4 stitches on forehead where my sunglasses were pushed by my helmet. Car is screwed. No front right suspension left, right rear has bent the hub, both right wheels broken, I can prob get about $8k worth of gear back out of it.

I didn't get my plastic, think I still managed 3rd in sport sedans.

Funny I did a 48.78 yesterday, but still managed a 49.1 with that big wall scrub.

Will load some pics

As long as the rail isn't too badly bent on the front right the chassis may be Ok, will be well worth having a good look when you pull it apart.

One good thing about being a 280ZX is a replacement shell or front corner isn't too bad. Also, get someone around to have a look at the car once you pull it apart to check the shell and to see if it can be straightened, the dollars will be less than building a new one.

Take your time deciding what you're going to do before making the final decision. Been there and done that, but because of the cage, floor, A pillar and rails where bent and what the car was to be used for I decided to write it off.

If you go down the reshelling route, re shelling doesn't take long, I have helped reshell an RX3 overnight to racce on a Sunday after a saturday afternoon multiple roll over.

And for yourself, take a couple of days off, you will be sore tomorrow and tuesday once the adrenalin goes away, again I know from experience from a couple of occaisions now....

Matt

mate thats terrible but that is motor sport, if you want another shell and cant get one locally i have one, i was going to use it on the track so i started the rust repairs(not much rust) it has no box or engine but is generaly strait, i would reshell it, if you cant track one down locally i might part ways with mine as its for a good cause.

cheers pauly

Doesn't look to bad, strip the guard off and check the inner guard and the rail, the rest is pretty easy. But you will have to strip it all down to make sure.

You should be back on the track in not too long. Good luck with it.

Right inner is creased up, pushed into my expensive headers, dry sump pump nearby, but intact. I think your right, it may be a bit of work, but may be like the phoenix and rise from the dead.

If the rail is reasonably straight and the floor isn't kinked, there is a good chance it will pull out pretty good.

This will save you a lot of time and dollars.

I hope you do have a pheonix on your hands...

DAMN NO PLASTIC....

4th in sports sedans.  24th outright (15 open wheelers. 6 4wd, 2 serious racers Inwood and Trenoweth in a Jag)

I was only .5 of a sec slower than Inwood in his AU supercar from the cutting to the finish. I thought they were big (kahunas), but not that big.

Watching that vid it does look quick at the top, and the bloody thing didnt turn.

Having raced full circuit a bit, the run up mountain straight is fun, when the rear get airborne over the hillclimb start line.

The vid shows pretty clearly that the car was about 3 metres off line, going into corner before, marbles, dust, no rubber on road, annoying thing, you have visual going into that corner when racing, you come into it, look over top of wall on LHS, and can see the cars in front.

Coming off of skyline, (blind crest) after the finish line is the undies moment, when someone in front has pirrouetted.

In Toyota parlance, BUGGER!

You may want to look at the aero because a front/rear downforce inbalance could have caused the big push which led to the crash. Rear wing may have unloaded the front which for balance would need a good air dam, splitter and undertray. With effective rear wings available it's pretty easy to buy rear downforce, not so easy to buy matching front.

Richo, not enough speed in that section for aero to have unloaded the back end.

It was too wide through that corner, marbles, dust, whatever, it just got loose.

More power and a bit of oppo lock could have held it, but at that point it is very much like canyon racing between walls.

• Moderators

Interesting that the two bolts from ball joint to bottom of strut snapped clean?

No indication of fretting to holes in ball joint, clean double snap means a fairly hard hit.

I'd like to see if there is any bolt left in the threads? Thought the heads would've been snapped off and just the rest of it left there..