New business

Dingo

Hi everyone I'm Dave or Dingo. I am a fitter machinist, welder fabricator who has just opened a business in braidwood nsw. I have been a member of the act thread for a while but have recently moved to braidwood for the workshop. It has a spray booth and car o-liner and hoist. I have a lathe and mill plus welders and if anyone is interested in getting anything done. Call me on 0418 682 838.

ditto on that.

I saw the results after he hand formed the lower rear corner and valance panel of a 280zx he was fixing up.

there wasnt much to begin with, but he rebuild that whole part from scratch then welded it in.

You wouldn't even have known afterwards.

and that N15 pulsar with the GTIR rear floor grafted in, nice job on that. (why? because he could)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Scott and Alan. Its a bit slow atm so im trying to do anything realy lol. As for an apprentice. I would love to just need to get some work first lol.

On other news I am building an F100 special up for a guy for sumernats. There wasnt much of the car left realy. The roof corners rusted out, the floor rusted out, fire wall rusted out, pillars were worse for wear. Informed the guy about it and told him i could have a perfect new cab but didnt wanna know about it. He told me that i can fix it all with stuff i made. not long now before it needs to be finished and we are still going  will let you all know how it goes.

• 1 year later...

BE VERY CAREFUL USING THIS BUSINESS.... He gave up on my car after committing and taking half the money. I drove it to his business under the agreement and contract that it would be returned, ready to go in 2/3 months. Instead I get a text at 11:45pm one night saying "its too hard, I cant cope, can you collect the car" - this is after he had it for 6 months already and endless rubbish stories about its progress...

To my suprise the car had been stripped back (mostly to bare metal) and in many pieces. No offer to compensate, no return of vehicle in his time or cost, no sorry, no remorse. 

I threatened to involve the Small Claims Court and Vehicle Repairers Associtaion (he wasnt licensed) if he did not return the money.....at that point I think he soiled himself and knew I wasnt mucking about.... It was just bad form all round, and rightly so I was furious. I know a lot of other people who'd have handled it much more severly...

At the end he realised his wrong, and repayed the money, so really the only bad thing was the headaches of uncertaintly, picking up a car disassembled and time lost...

I thought Id post this just as a warning and a caution for anyone thinking of using this service!!!

Jebus,

Fairly harsh on the bloke!

He got stuck into it, expended time and money, on his part, ends up taking too long, ( they all do), you spit dummies, get back something on way to either being a no-go, or a viable project, and you get a refund?

Suely you left him something for his efforts.

I personally know a bloke, in pretty much your situation, car took longer, much longer, he got committed at around the $8000 spend mark, far too mch into it to pull the pin and ditch the whole thing, so instructed " keep going"

Total body shell resto, and i mean total resto,  bill came to a touch over $20,000.

Car looks it

• Administrators

It sounds to me like this guy might indeed have the talent but the business management side of things is lacking. If he was in too deep over his head with work and couldn't cope I think he bit off more than he can chew. This is sadly why I think so many shops go under or you end up with sub-standard work. They would love to do things properly but at the end of the day they also need money coming in and have overheads.

At least you got your money back, yes you have lost time which does suck.

I never pay up front these days, maybe a deposit but I wait until I've seen the finished product before handing over cash. I got burnt once before and it was not a good experience, ended up taking the fella to court and winning and still not seeing a dime.

If I do commit to cash in advance I pay as the project goes along, so I can see progress being made.

I dont know the story so im not taking sides, but i ran into Dave (Dingo) the other day.

He was telling me that the workshop he was in was shut down by the council because the owner refused to make repairs to prevent sewerage from running down the driveway, the council had been on the owner for a while about it, then eventually had enough and shut it all down.

Jebus,

Fairly harsh on the bloke!

He got stuck into it, expended time and money, on his part, ends up taking too long, ( they all do), you spit dummies, get back something on way to either being a no-go, or a viable project, and you get a refund?

Suely you left him something for his efforts.

I personally know a bloke, in pretty much your situation, car took longer, much longer, he got committed at around the $8000 spend mark, far too mch into it to pull the pin and ditch the whole thing, so instructed " keep going"

Total body shell resto, and i mean total resto,  bill came to a touch over $20,000.

Car looks it

Fairly harsh?? Are you joking? He lied about work done, he broke some parts (headlight buckets/tore interior trim). It should be noted  I paid for all material and prep gear, dropped and picked up car off.  We signed a contract to have the work done within 3 months  - I gave him 6 - result, bare metal rub back and a little welding......(avatar pic)

I also payed half upfront, and made further payments in goodwill "to help him out". I left him $1000 for stripping and sanding the car to metal. Got the rest back....  Sometimes you just need to cut your losses and look after yourself first.

Big difference with me and your friend is I had a signed contractual agreement with my guy, which he suggested and committed to.

In my and others opinion, I was very very fair and lenient. People need to take responsibility when they do wrong.

Not all situations are the same, so maybe best keep your 2 cents to yourself. unless you know him or I.

I think this thread has run its course, it doesnt need more comments. Just a caution to others out there..

• 7 months later...

I have sat back and let things die down a little for a while now and I would like to explain myself. I was in a rental with house and workshop. The guy who was renting to me (Sam from Monster sport sup) for a year refused to take calls and emails from us as to the state of the place. I did alot of work in maintainance on the property just trying to keep it together but things like a septic that didnt work I would not fix because it was not mine to fix and I would not have the money. In the end the council came in and shut the place down because the guy who was pumping the septic weekly called them one because the plumber had done more damage and raw surage was escaping and 2 because he refused to take any more of my money as it was not my fault. The plumber left it in its state because he was owed thoughsands for what he had done. So septic system, the building between the house and the workshop full of aspestis started to fall down, the electrical dangers in the place (I fixed alot up in the house and workshop being an a x sparky but refused to work on the derelect buildings. so the council gave us 3 days to get out of there.

the only place we could get had a single car garage and the workshop i was after i got out done price wise on.

I was also in an accident where i got tboned on the drivers side of my pathfinder and the drivers seat was moved 4 inches across.

I would realy have liked to finish the job but my wifes ill health at the time. My ill health and the situation of a single car garage that you cant park a vt wagon in and shut the door made it imposable to do this. It was a real kick in the teeth for me and Michael and a bad start to my own venture and I hope that one day i will get over it and try again.