A Toyota man's first Datsun, first 2 door, first 2 seater..

Hi everyone,

I'm Adam, not a new member to the forums but first time poster. I have recently acquired my '73 240z so thought I'd throw up an introduction thread.

So I reside in Melbourne, have owned a KE70 Corolla as my first car, currently drive a JZX100 Chaser and have a '73 240z as a side project car!

The Corolla was my first car as a P plater and I managed to change as many things on it as possible. It started out as a nice street car project while being legal with the P plater laws (no forced induction or V8s) and then turned into a street slider type car (yeah, I was young and stupid).

I gained invaluable experience and knowledge working on that car and it got to the point where I didn't know what else I should do with it (without blowing a hole in my wallet), so I sold up and bought a JZX100 Chaser.

Again, the Chaser started out as a nice daily/streeter without drawing any negative attention from the local law enforcement. It was a nice streeter with the usual modifications, exhaust, fmic, coilovers, sway bars, and then I attended my first track day. Every mod I did to the car from then on was to improve lap times at Winton, Supra Big Brakes all round, oil cooler, bracing, gauges, seat, etc.. Currently sitting on a PB of 1:40.733 with 200rwkw and full trim at ~1600kg. Attempted to crack into the '39s a fortnight ago but was way off the pace so I have since started parting out the car and returning it to a stocker/streeter spec!

And then I purchased a 1973 240z with an L28. It was about time I stopped dreaming and tried to turn my dreams into reality. There's nothing special about it at the moment, plenty of rust in the doors, hatch, you all know how it is.

I've just purchased a MIG so would like to learn how to weld and then hopefully within a months time, start repairing the rust on the car.

I have already purchased replacement OEM spec clutch master cylinder, slave, brake master cylinder and a full bushings kit from the states.

That pretty much brings you all up to date. The research has already begun and will continue until the car is on the road!

Enough chit-chatter, here are some pics and links to my previous car build threads.

Corolla:

150709ke70007.jpg

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/17254-adams-ke70/

Chaser:

DSC_0682a.jpg

http://www.jzx100.com/forum/topic/7896-adams-chaser/

240z:

photo1-4.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

Cheers!

Edit: Sorry for the picture size, I thought it had been resized :S

Welcome :). I had one of those Corolla brand new  ;Dand now I got a 73 240z.

Good luck with your project there is plenty of good advise on here.

By the way drop in on the BBQ that is coming up soon and make your self known, it the best way to get advise and help

Bruce   

• Administrators

Ahh so that's where the green one ended up! Good to see it on here in good hands at least.

I like the kesev too. 4AGE is damn fun.

Yar I had a AE92 Corolla SX was great fun with the 4AGE.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

The Corolla was great fun after I did a 4AGE conversion in it! Easily the best mod I had done on the car. The car was so easy to work on and looking over the 240, I'm expecting it to be very similar (little electronically controlled bits unlike the Chaser).

And the Z does seem to be fairly original besides the motor. It all needs a little TLC but besides that, the car's in pretty decent nick, no rust in the floor, rails or anything like that. In saying that though, I'm expecting to see a lot more rust as I strip it down!

I will definitely lookout for that upcoming BBQ :)

The Asian woman is my girlfriend steering the car off the trailer :P

Yeah, I've got a thread over on EXE. Haven't had much interest in it so haven't updated it in a while though. :-[

As for tracking the 240, I'd like to take her out once in a while to stretch its legs but nothing serious like I did with the Chaser. I will try and get it on the road first by refreshing it's standard parts (brakes, suspension) and once it's up and running smoothly, I'll get it on the track and see how it goes :)

And I'm pretty sure I saw your car attending a DECA event a few months back.. You should get her out to the Melbourne Cup track day :P I would definitely be interested in taking a closer look at it.

• Moderators

Welcome Adam..

Experience you have gained with the other cars will be valuable when working on the zed; they are very similar.. Would be good to make it to the Xmas BBQ to see some nice zeds to get the mind ticking..

My car was at DECA a couple of months back, it's changed a bit in spec since then (bigger brakes, triple carbs) but I blew the motor at Wakefield Park in September and it hasn't really moved since.

As soon as it's back together and running nicely I'll be going to as many track days as I can. Missing out on Winton 2 weeks ago really sucked.

I will hopefully see you out at Winton some time then Agno :) there may be some battles! :P

Oh hi Ray!! I was wondering when I'd see you pop up! :P I guess this thread would explain my massive de-mod part out over on jzxworld wouldn't it :P

And Bozo, I'm down in keysborough mate, south eastern suburbs :)

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

So I was going through a few recent introduction threads and I thought to myself, 'how many of these guys will actually stick around and complete their cars, how many of them will be sold off due to other priorities?'. Someone was mentioning in another thread that 9 of 10 projects fail..

Well that thought lead me back to my introduction thread and I thought I might update it.

Below is a few photos of how she looks now.

705361_832541120104863_827002715_o_zps11164bda.jpg

12873191043_b377e9d3b6_b_zpsa2dec647.jpg

12873187183_7e715d99ae_b_zps9b6c08dd.jpg

12873532984_53a34c2bec_b_zps132bff0b.jpg

1167265_430356083734046_766901475_o_zpsd5d1bbb8.jpg

A lot of people didn't think it was possible, but I got the car registered in under 9 months from purchase and she's now driving better than ever.

I didn't do an entire nut and bolt restoration like others here. It's also not in the perfect condition with 95% of the car being worked on at home (no chicken wire and newspaper to fill rust holes here), but it is in a respectable condition which will allow me to enjoy her until I have settled down and am ready to strip her down for another time.

So there you go, just wanted to show that I didn't fail lol and that I am quite proud of what I've built in the period of time and budget I had.

There's not much going on anymore, but updates (and build) can be read on my blog http://twofortyzee.wordpress.com/.

Thanks for looking.

• Administrators

Well done sir! You're an inspiration to those in the middle of the process.

I'm now re-considering how I'll approach my restoration. Concours is good and all but it will be 10 years before I'm on the road if I do it that way. I'm thinking of taking your resto philosophy under my hat.

PS: If you ever want to sell that Hitachi head unit let me know? Just missed 1 on Yahoo! Auctions grrr...and love the exhaust set up.