dfws77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hi,

I am from Malaysia and I am currently having a S130 project ongoing. Most of the parts are not stock anymore as I am working towards Shakotan styled Z car. Currently it's having a heart transplant from a L20 to a RB20DET with Haltech management. It's been 6 months now and it's getting on my nerves due to various wiring issues. Will keep posting it for updates. Please enjoy the pictures. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 stevofoxono

stevofoxono

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Tagline:My quarter life crisis car Z

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

that's a wicked 280, I was following this build on one of the other forums. Nice work! Welcome

#3 dfws77

dfws77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

thanks for the compliment stevo. Hope it's gonna be ready in these 2 weeks time for me to join our Malaysian Mean Machine show. :D

#4 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

please, please please tell me where you got that front, i want one

#5 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,656 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

Welcome, that's certainly a unique 280zx not seen 1 like that before. The flat black paint is great.

#6 dfws77

dfws77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

please, please please tell me where you got that front, i want one

Hi Pauly.. the front I got is special made. Friend of mine owns a body work garage. I can try to ask him where or which model of cars he got it from and I will let you know.

#7 dfws77

dfws77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

Welcome, that's certainly a unique 280zx not seen 1 like that before. The flat black paint is great.

Thanks Gav. More mods to come. hehehehe.. Will post more pics when available.

#8 handsandwhich

handsandwhich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Tagline:Huge Member

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

She actually looks pretty good! The car is not bad either, I like it.

#9 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

that would be good i love that front

#10 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

Welcome  ;)
You joining and posting is good timing for me.
I've been toying with the idea of a racing stripe for some time, but its always good to see a real example.

#11 dfws77

dfws77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

Thanks all for the compliment. Glad you guys enjoyed it. Not many people do coz they prefer it to be as original stock as possible but I am more into the wild side. hahahahaha

#12 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

Good job on the Skyline taillights. It's one of the few tail light conversions i really dont mind!

#13 dfws77

dfws77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Good job on the Skyline taillights. It's one of the few tail light conversions i really dont mind!

Thanks. Some say it looks like supra. hahahaha.

#14 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

Are you really putting a NICS RB20 into your car? That's probably why you are having wiring problems! :P

#15 dfws77

dfws77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

Are you really putting a NICS RB20 into your car? That's probably why you are having wiring problems! :P

Yes I am Agno. What seems to be the issue? Currently my car won't start and when it starts, it will not idle properly. It's like having a bad case of flu. I am getting my mech to change all the wiring into new sets.

#16 Jk_zeder

Jk_zeder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Tagline:James

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

Are ANY of those photographers actually taking pics of the car? haha oh and welcome

#17 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

Yes I am Agno. What seems to be the issue? Currently my car won't start and when it starts, it will not idle properly. It's like having a bad case of flu. I am getting my mech to change all the wiring into new sets.

My brother's car used to have a NICS RB20DE and had similar issues. Common problems with these motors are CAS (crank angle sensor), ignitor (little black box on your valley cover) and coil packs, all of which are unique to NICS RB20s and cannot be substituted for later model parts from newer Skylines. Is the car getting ample fuel and spark? If you are having ignition problems check your CAS first and make sure everything lines up on the belts (cams, pulleys etc).

If you had unlimited amounts of time and money I would recommend finding a silvertop (R32 Skyline onwards) RB and adapting your wiring to suit, failing that you might have to go on the hunt for a few spares for your engine. There is very little aftermarket support for NICS parts (which we could find anyway) so we could only make do with sourcing second hand parts and hoping they worked.

Edit: Just re-read that you are running a Haltech, I'm not 100% sure what stock sensors you are using with this ECU but most of what I already said applies, especially the comments about the CAS, you might be able to retrofit some more modern coilpacks with inbuilt ignitors but I'm not sure.

#18 imackz

imackz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Tagline:v8 into a 280zx makes 450zx

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:19 AM

looks great, like the panelwork, what front spoiler did you use ?

#19 dfws77

dfws77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Are ANY of those photographers actually taking pics of the car? haha oh and welcome

that was the whole debate during the photoshoot... but who cares. hahahahaha!!! and thanks.

#20 dfws77

dfws77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

My brother's car used to have a NICS RB20DE and had similar issues. Common problems with these motors are CAS (crank angle sensor), ignitor (little black box on your valley cover) and coil packs, all of which are unique to NICS RB20s and cannot be substituted for later model parts from newer Skylines. Is the car getting ample fuel and spark? If you are having ignition problems check your CAS first and make sure everything lines up on the belts (cams, pulleys etc).

If you had unlimited amounts of time and money I would recommend finding a silvertop (R32 Skyline onwards) RB and adapting your wiring to suit, failing that you might have to go on the hunt for a few spares for your engine. There is very little aftermarket support for NICS parts (which we could find anyway) so we could only make do with sourcing second hand parts and hoping they worked.

Edit: Just re-read that you are running a Haltech, I'm not 100% sure what stock sensors you are using with this ECU but most of what I already said applies, especially the comments about the CAS, you might be able to retrofit some more modern coilpacks with inbuilt ignitors but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the heads up Agno. I will keep everyone posted for any updates. Can't wait for it to start running. 7 months already... sheeeesh!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users