Photo

Atara Racing (Watanabe RS8 Styled) 15x9, -tive 13 offset, PCD 114.3 FS.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

The riverge replica is a decent size! Tempting for my MX32...

But, why not create something that is more of a tribute, or 'inspired by', than a direct copy? The only thing that would stop me from buying, is because they look like real a real Riverge, but they're not.  I think a lot of the 'purist' crowd would buy them because they're not a knock off, and everyone else would buy them because they look cool.

Whats a Riverge? What size is it?
Pretty simple, when you understand jst what is involved cost and time wise in getting something manufactured, do you go for a style that only a very few might just buy, and be stuck with a wharehouse full of stock, all because someone said they like a particular look, or, do you bite the bullet, place an order, get tooling set up, machining processes in p,ace, areange all shipping, and get made something that is a timeless classic, well known, and desired by many.
To get wheels made, there are minimum job runs, you are looking at at least a run of 400 pieces, to make it anywhere near worthwhile.
How big is your garage, to store the other 396 wheels, and is there a market for the riverge?

These Watanabe Tribute R type are about to go into production, sceduled delivery to Australia is mid to late February 2012
Place your orders, as there is limited stock coming here.
They are to be advertised elsewhere.
Danny had the first batch made, now all sold!
I have here in Australia the very ladt four!

#42 thriller

thriller

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

Whats a Riverge? What size is it?
Pretty simple, when you understand jst what is involved cost and time wise in getting something manufactured, do you go for a style that only a very few might just buy, and be stuck with a wharehouse full of stock, all because someone said they like a particular look, or, do you bite the bullet, place an order, get tooling set up, machining processes in p,ace, areange all shipping, and get made something that is a timeless classic, well known, and desired by many.

Riverge is that 4-spoke design posted previously. As with most old japanese rims, sizes go from 6" to potentially a few 10" floating in existance. I get that completely, but there's more than a few ways the design could be subtly changed so that it looks roughly the same, without looking as though it was trying to be an exact fool-everyone replica.

Anyway I'll cut it out so I don't derail the thread too much :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users