#21 my_mad_z

my_mad_z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Tagline:Marc

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

Put a brand new spigot bush when I started the install, wish it was that!

#22 my_mad_z

my_mad_z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Tagline:Marc

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Finally got around to getting the flywheel balanced and a shim made up for it; chemo treatments have been taking it out of me lately but on the mend so it's all worth it I guess.

I got the shim made up at a local engineering shop, unfortunately couldn't do it on my little lathe. The original L28 flywheel has an 80mm boss and the RB25 is 81.5mm; had the shim made out of high tensile steel and pressed into the flywheel. It bolts up perfectly and runs a dream, no vibration and no resonance.

As for the clutch, I wound the boost up to 16psi tonight and the clutch held up a treat, no slipping - plenty of wheel spin though  ;D Need a new set of tyres.
I was a little reluctant to up the boost to 21psi, no grip with the current tyres so I think I'll wait til I get some new rubber. Very confident that it will hold up.

In fifth gear at 60mph, pushed the loud pedal and it just launched..... hit 90mph in no time at all with no slipping...... the previous clutch use to let go when I tried this; thumbs up, the RB25 flywheel and RB25 HD EXEDY clutch works a treat.

In terms of cost:

RB25DET Flywheel - $100 (2nd hand from a wrecker)
Flywheel Balance - $90 (A bit rich if you ask me)
Flywheel Surface - $50
RB25DET EXEDY Heavy Duty Clutch - $381 (rrp is over $700!)
Hi tensile metal shim for flywheel - $40

Not a bad upgrade for under $700 and it's rated to 472hp (according to EXEDY).

Marc.

#23 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

this info may have come just at the right time, my L28et is killing clutches, I hit 14psi of boost and what do you know there goes my clutch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users