Photo

Viczcar Cruise from Melbourne to Apollo Bay – Sat 4th & Sun 5th August 2007.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

Hi Guys. We’ve put together a cruise to take us from Melbourne through Lorne to Apollo Bay via the very scenic Great Ocean Road.
Saturday night we plan to enjoy dinner and drinks and stay overnight in Apollo Bay, making our way back to Melbourne on Sunday morning. Of course if you don’t have the luxury of the entire weekend to devote to your Z, you can make it a day trip.

The cruise in summary will be as follows -
- Melbourne to Lorne 130km (1 hour 36 minutes)
- Lorne to Skenes Creek 46km  (36 minutes)
- Skenes Creek to Lavers Hill 46km  (36 minutes)
- Lavers Hill to Apollo Bay 49km  (37 minutes)
Posted Image

The plan is to meet up at 10am Saturday morning and depart soon after. The first stretch is from Melbourne to Lorne (130km). Our first stop will be for lunch at the seaside town of Lorne. We should arrive there at noon to chow down and rest for an hour.

We will then depart Lorne heading toward Apollo Bay via the Great Ocean Road enjoying all the seaside road offers through long sweeping bends and occasional hairpins.

Next stop will be at Skenes Creek where we plan to break for 10 minutes and wait for all those that may have got stuck behind English tourists driving rented camper vans or the slow Lamborghini Countache that frustrated the NDSOC convoy on their last cruise.

The course will detour at Skenes Creek from the main road and ascend through the winding roads that take us to Lavers Hill. This 46km stretch of undulating road will take around 36 minutes driving at a leisurely pace. 

Leaders will stop for a 10 minute rest at Lavers Hill to then complete the cruise via a 49km run to Apollo Bay.

All those planning to stay overnight should make their own arrangements to check into a hotel in Apollo Bay. We will send out some suggestions as to accommodation. Anyone wanting to drive out to the 12 apostles can do so.
Saturday night we will meet up for dinner and drinks at a restaurant in town to talk of the days run.

Sunday morning we can make our way back to Melbourne via GOR.

Everybody attending the cruise is expected to drive safely, obey all road rules and extend every courtesy to all other road users.

Please send me a Personal Message or an email with your e-mail address by Saturday July 28 if you are definitely coming along and we will send you all final details regarding meeting times, locations, maps and hotel accommodation options.

For the members who can’t attend there will be photos and a video posted on the site after the cruise for you to enjoy.

Cheers Sulio,

sulio_m@hotmail.com

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:10 AM

G'day Sulio have we got an indication of numbers yet. I have stayed at a great 5 star place over looking the bay down there that has lock up garages and BBQ on the balcony for breaky etc. Would be cheap if 4-5 of us stayed there. I will PM you with the details.

#3 modular9

modular9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

You victorians have the most awesomest roads i have ever seen.  :D Pictures videos and shenanigans for the boys interstate.

#4 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

Craig sounds good. I've got about 6 on my list atm. I'll check my PM's and e-mails.

Modular9, should be plenty of pics and video just hope we get good weather!

#5 mayhem

mayhem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Tagline:speed is a life style

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

God i wish my car would be done by then  ???  though the last time i hit that road i really did hit it!. at about 90km into the alko barrier bouncing off that across the road again into the cliff face... Gee those where good times :-\
I better pull my finger out 

#6 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

UPDATE ON CRUISE ROUTE

It has been pointed out to me that one of the roads in the original map that cuts across Beech Forrest is actually a FWD track and to go further Nth and come back down might make it too big a drive for some. For that reason we have decided stay on the Great Ocean Road and drive straight through Apollo Bay to Lavers Hill and back to Apollo Bay for the evening. This is the route the NDSOC took recently and I've been assured its an incredible drive.
Once back in Apollo Bay anyone that has the energy can go for a drive Nth from Skene Creek to Forrest and back to AB for dinner can do so. I think this would be about a 1.0 to 1.5 hr return drive and we would want to be back by dark. I'm sure there will be a group interested I hope to be one of them! 

I have posted  a new map below:

Posted Image

Meeting Point West Gate Bridge out bound petrol station 10am, depart 10:30am sharp!
Melb to Lorne 130km (1 hr 36 min) Lunch in Lorne 1hr
Lorne to Apollo Bay 49km (40 min) Rest in Apollo Bay
Apollo Bay to Lavers Hill (48km 39min) Break in LH 30 min
Lavers Hill to Apollo Bay (48km 39min) Finish

My calculations are we would be back from Lavers Hill to Apollo Bay at about 4pm. At this point some might want to drive to Forrest and surrounding areas for a squirt before dinner. Hotel recommendations and dinner times will be e-mailed to all that have PM me or sent me an e-mail (sulio_m@hotmail.com).

Cheers,
Sulio

#7 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:52 PM

E-mail sent to all those that showed ineterst. Pics will be posted for those that can't attend.

Sulio

#8 van

van

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

2 days to go!  Including today, haha.

Make sure your car's clean Sulio, I'll be wanting to get some good photos of it for its upcoming feature on grandJDM ;)

#9 Azman

Azman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:13 PM

Unfortunately guys as both my Z and my road car are now sold I wont be able to attend as I can imagine walking wont be very much fun! Have fun guys and look forward to the pictures.

#10 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

Yer looking forward to it. As it stands we have 10 people saying yes they will attend and all details have been e-mailed to them.
The break down is 5 definately staying over night, 5 coming for the day and 1 not sure.

I've taken tommorrow off to get prepared. Still making my video camera mount for mounting on the outside of the car. Hope to get heaps of good footage we can share.

Cheers,
Sulio 

#11 Rod F

Rod F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:11 AM

I'll bring my digital camera (cheapo) and tripod as well, get some group shots. Weatherman predicts some rain though  :(  and a blistering 13 degrees.
I've got some Rain-X I might bring along if anyone needs it.

#12 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

:( wish i was going, got no zed that drives at the moment. Otherwise would be there in a heart beat.

Have fun rain hail or shine

;D

#13 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:43 PM

Rod, is that Rain-x any good? I bought new wipers today but if it helps I would'nt mind trying some out if you do bring it along!?
Steve, hpoing to take a lot of pics. Lurch's car is at the panel shop so I've got myself a full time camera man comin in my car!  ;)

Sulio

#14 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

Was a great WE - pity about the Rain, etc...

Video in the next week or so...

#15 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:42 PM

The video I finished last night!

hmmm...I'll try to embed it!???

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c.../v/-GDlxUMAzFk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users