Pb's - '77 260Z 2+2 Rebuild
Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:28 PM
I bought this off a young bloke in the local Datsun community a few months ago, as he had (for want of a better term) fallen out of love with it after a minor front end accident.
I bought it sight unseen for a reasonable price, but when I picked it up I found a few more issues with it than I anticipated...
Anyway, Plans are to:
- Repair all the visible rust - mostly concentrated around the rear of the vehicle. Strangely the boot floor needs repair - probably because of a stuffed hatch seal.
- Repair the front end - it has pushed the 'noses' back & downwards & shifted the radiator support panel. However I have access to a Chassis puller, so it won't be much of an issue.
I also have spare guards, sugar scoops, bonnet & bumper for it.
- Respray in the original factory light blue & clean up the black interior.
- Convert it to manual transmission as it's a factory Auto car. I have a spare 260Z box that I'll rebuild with new bearings & convert it to brass syncro's.
- Give it a tune up & get it into RW condition.
I've already have a newer member of this forum come & inspect it, who has shown an interest in purchasing it - they can make themselves known if they wish.
As such I probably won't get much of a chance to drive it!
Annnnnnnd on with the photos!:
Checking out the front end damage:
Outer DS dogleg removed & repairing the inner sill:
Hatch slam panel repair:
More photo's to come...
Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:11 PM
Looking forward to more pictures.
Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:16 PM
Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:16 PM
Any small upgrades planned or just keep it bog stock? Should look great when your done.
It's already lowered, & has the British SU's fitted (with extractors) - apart from that it won't be getting modified any further.
Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:19 PM
Not tempted to keep it?
Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:00 AM
With you doing the work I'm sure it will be back in tip top condition in no time.
Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:17 AM
Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:26 AM
Not really tempted to keep it G-man - I have enough toys to play with...
My 'Early Girl' really needs an engine rebuild, so some funds from the sale may go towards that.
Pauly - no sunroof!
This one was advertised & sold via CarSales.
Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:32 AM
looks nice, mine is the same color and is a 77. What is the chassis no.? I would be interested to see if it is close to mine. Cheers
Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:07 PM
Good to see a 2+2 is getting rescued.
as a friendly reminder and tip
posting identification numbers on public forum may not be a great idea. this includes rego plates. found out the hard way.
Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:50 PM
PS do you use 0.6 or 0.8 wire when mig welding in rust repair sections? I used 0.8 and still find it warps the panel a little (bottom of front guard). Is there a way around this? Assuming 0.6 will reduce the heat input a little and therefore less warpage. Aside from that I asume just work your way around the section evenly little bits at a time?
Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:33 PM
Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:51 PM
Controlling warping comes down to the way you weld panel steel, rather than welder settings...
You are on the money with staggering the welds. I don't run beads - more a 'spot' of weld, then move onto the opposite section of the repair (rinse & repeat )
Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:31 PM
He has an air gun in the other hand when he does a spot and immediately cools it.
I have tried it and can testify that it does work.
Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:06 PM
Lurch that is essentially what I do, probably could have alternated around the panel a little more though, although did tack it all the way round first. I just weld small spots, no chance of running a bead on Datsun steel as it will blow through quite easily or warp excessively. May try the air gun and will go to 0.6 on my next roll of wire. Cheers and keep up the good work rescuing Datsuns.
Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:54 PM
The lower section was badly pitted, so I cut it out & welded in a new section (4th photo).
Door Jam cut out & Rust Kill applied.
Lower inner sill repaired & etch primed. I'll be painting the inner sill area so no more rust will bleed through.
Outer Dogleg fitted & Etch primed:
Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:48 PM
Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:58 PM
Looking like another quality job, a fair bit of work but coming along nicely.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users