Fairlady Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,12313.0.html
  • Tagline:Sports Cars

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'd be more than happy with that as a daily.. top effort!

Cheers Dimitri,

kinda spewing that I should have taken more time getting the body ultra straight.
but than its more of a weekend cruiser on sunny day than car u park anywhere and don't care about.

Most of it has turned out better than expected. only downfall is few waves and dents I missed or couldn't be bothered fixing. Maybe few yrs down the track I may re-doo the body so its ultra straight when value hopefully climbs a bit and woth the effort.
I think I invested tad too much in it both time and $$

#42 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

I think you'll be kicking your heels in a few years time... for just 5k, that's not much in todays pesos. Cars like this are disappearing at a rapid rate. If this is just a daily, I'd love to see a full on resto!

#43 Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Still alive still working on it.
Have a little setback with it with engine issues which i discussed on other thread.
Think its mostly sorted but confirmation tonight and few days to come but signs a looking good.

Cars regod and can be driven.
Though first test drive was disaster with smoking out the neighbourhood.
Was lucky didnt get pulled over smoke screening a police car.

Anyway few little pic of progress:

Interior install
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lowered lovells and delco shocks to improve the looks with low profile tires
Also got new ball joints bushes and tie rod ends
Posted Image

Droped down its actualy tad lower since settling than these pics
Posted Image
Posted Image

Done few more things on inside but didnt take pics as engine issues took priority.

Prob more updates soon and a video.

Hopefully be finished by the weekend completely and than onto next project.

#44 ozzy 79

ozzy 79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thread caught my eye as before I bought my 280zx in '99, I very nearly went with an Rx7...

And have to say - amazing work!  I'm so jealous of people who can work with metal... Well, anything remotely creative with their hands, really.  If I had half your skills, I'd have kept my rusty 280zx instead of selling it for $1k...

#45 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Looking good Fairlady. There is probably a line forming already, but if you ever decide to sell this car give us a yell. Been a big fan of early RX7s for a long time!

#46 Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Cheers Agno if I ever decide to sell it be posted here first.

But when my other projects a finished i think i get a s3 and make it bit of a monster with group c kit big wheels and 13b turbo motor unless i find a good rx4 coupe than i have my two fav mazdas.

No work on it tonight except test drive went good few minor issues to tackle with engine and than finish the insides. Had a late one last nite so tonight rest and early bed time.

#47 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,662 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Mate, can you do me a huge favor and post up a tutorial on interior painting? I've read various articles around the web but I'm still a bit shy to attempt it on my FD's interior.

Here is what I want to convert to:
http://www.irishrota...tart=150#p48753

I want to paint my door cards in bright red and the rear storage bins (which have scratches and other marks on them). Speaking of which do you have tips for dealing with scratched plastic? Like it usually has that textured look, is there anyway you can replicate that say if you were to sand the surface before painting?

Also the guys who matched the interior paint for you in Victoria, does the paint come in an aerosol can? I ask because I hear there can be issues with shipping them via Air and if I was to order from them and get it sent to Ireland I might not be able to get them sent over.

Car is looking absolutely amazing mate.

#48 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

Haven't checked this thread in a while......
WOW
Great job  ;)

#49 Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Cheers Luvemfast and Gav.

Gav no probs can do. give u a quick run down now and i make a sticky later when my free time opens up

Viponds does sell spray can variety and they sell the stuff across the globe. They have a whole range for Mercedes interior repair  colors which they sell to Europe.

You can choose on of the std colors or send them a sample and they color match it for $10 extra. they quite good.

1L cans are most economical and can cover lot of area.

few tips for your plastic. remove them and check the stamping at the back. if ABS (i think most later model cars use ABS plastic) than no issue. IF PR or PPR its polypropylene and vipods don't stick to it well. it will stick to it but it will chip easy.

this Mazda has PPR and does have issues. but I'm leaving t for time being as don't have time to redo it. As for vinyl or leather seem to stick really well so dash and door trims no problems.

regarding PPR plastics mostly found in 80s cars i think it may be possible to paint using normal acrylic paint or possibly enamel. still experimenting. keep u posted.

to get scratches out u can sand it so it nice and smooth. don't use rough paper. would go lower than 240 ideal 320 grit. slow tedious but only way. if light ill use 400 paper and just sand the scratch lightly once painted in covers it well. if deep than use lower grits.

as for getting texture back . leather look no. for satin look yeah. its more of a technique.

bit hard to explain.

last few coats what i do i spray from a larger distance. the texture ends up being rougher and you get the 3D effect.
repeat that few times till it builds up to texture u like.

alternatively what i do is Spot-Squirt from distance. Similar to spraying your fav perfume on. one quick spray from distance than move along. your finger dies quickly but has nice texture.
build up few layers. once dry leave at least 24 hour.

get a good clean chamois wet it and lightly rub over the area. this will remove all the sharp particles and feel like smooth leather. once dry u can always add armor all or equivalent to get some shine if needed. i usually leave it as is.

paint is UV stable so doesn't need anything but for harsh Ozzy sun I prob still recommend it just like on new dashes.

by the way that red interior on silver car is my favourite combo. i recon it will look good on yours so  definitely give it a shot.

#50 Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Bit more work on the weekend.

though mostly unnoticeable.

like wheel alignment and electrical.

I'm sure the car will create some attention so added an alarm and central locking for convenience.

fixed my electric mirror issues and few other electrical problems so now all is working like the first day from showroom floor.

finished my trim restoration and started refitting it back. though only managed to get one seat in and complete the center console.

Today its first day of Daily drive duties. trip to work went OK. no major issues to report at the moment.  Filled it up and we see how much she guzzles.

Still needs a tune. Running a bit rich and definitely needs coil and new leads which are on their way. but she start within the first rotation when warm.

didn't realise how small or low it is till mixed with normal traffic. having trouble seeing the drivers in normal cars. their doors seem very high....

few pics. nothing spectacular. hopefully tomorrow have better pics when all completed.

at Bridgestone getting wheel aligned. Created a bit of a stir when it arrived. The guy doing the wheel alignment took it out 3 times. he wanted to make sure its all perfect. To me he just wanted to drive it  ;)

Posted Image

trim bits ready for bit of color.

Posted Image
Posted Image

all done.

seats still Needs a bit of a clean couple of small stains other than than its respectable. no big rips or collapsed sponge. nice and comfy.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

hopefully all that will be inside the car tonight than I take some interior shots. It be quite a transformation.

#51 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

It sure is a transformation.  Bloody good job.

#52 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Final pic should be a "before and after" shot. Show the previous owner what he could've owned... haha

#53 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Very nice chook cooker and one to keep as it left the dealer, there is bugger all non butchered ones around, unless you go for the fullblown Group C replica.

#54 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

So have you sorted the engine issues you were having? It doesn't require a rebuild I'm hoping? Good that it starts on the button - hot, means compression is still really good.

#55 Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Cheers guys,

Dimitri yeah once all done parking it in same spot and taking same pics and before after shots.

As for last owner I'm actually going to drive it to his work.not far from my work.

No work tonight rest time orders by the missus.

Drive today went without a problem. Warm day stuck in traffic.temp didn't move. Few looks from other drivers with smile on their faces. Though got intimidated by few 4wd drivers. Scary all i see is bull bar and plate.

Tomorrow 37c so be a good test on its second day out. Need to regas the a/c as soon as possible. Power steer be nice but oh well i get used to it.

#56 Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

thanks guys.

Gav engine issue false alarm all sorted out. emission hoses and intermittent coil on leading spark and leaking oil metering pump caused all the commotion. glad it did saved me 4.5K engine rebuild. two days of daily duties and hasn't let me down. purring like a kitten and  no smoke. wooohooooo.

Goes well as long as you keep the revs above 3K. If you give it after 3k it flies till the buzzer tells you to change gear very hard to judge shift just by listening to engine its so damn quiet.  Before 3 feels like turbo car bit sluggish and lazy. does need a tune up to check the mixtures so that may get ironed out.

put the rest of the seats in this morning still to do door trims and hatch area.

PZG302 Chook Cooker its what I call it as well now after hearing it from one of my Z mates. Never heard ppl refer to them like that. Must be the  70s thing. Its funny i like it.
I'm trying to keep everything as stock as possible. no fancy stereo no engine upgrades. may do extractors just to open it up a bit. Need to replace the gasket there anyway so may as well make small improvement. I keep the stock stuff so i can revert back to it at any time. Got a set of stock wheels but prefer the 15" that i got on it now for road use.. Any changes won't be hard to revert.

anyway few pics taken at work. not the best due to sun and glare. Also needs a wash lot of dust on it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

still to do list:

1. water pump gasket
2. OMP gasket and clamps
3. Door trims and back hatch trim.
4. Wash and finalise polishing.
5. Side Body moulding's to be attached
6.New leads and Coils
7.Attach grill and lower splash tray

be picking these one by one next few weeks. Got lot of other stuff to do till end of the year.

#57 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm totally digging this car.
Great job  ;)

#58 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Good to know it was just a few simple things causing the smoke. Every time something goes wrong with these cars people assume it's rebuild time :). I always wonder how many cars for sale that say require rebuild actually do require 1?

I've heard chook cooker before in Australia, not really sure how it got that nick name. Think it's to do with the dirty noise they make. A quick search on Youtube for 'chook cooker' and you can hear a dirty rotor alright ;).

#59 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

I've heard chook cooker before in Australia, not really sure how it got that nick name. Think it's to do with the dirty noise they make. A quick search on Youtube for 'chook cooker' and you can hear a dirty rotor alright ;).

It is because rotary sounds like rotisserie and sometimes rotisseries are used for cooking chooks.

#60 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

It is because rotary sounds like rotisserie and sometimes rotisseries are used for cooking chooks.

Thats what I remember too... Rotary - Rotisserie - Spinning Chooks...

Loved them since a friend of my brother used to race in the "Road Reg" class many years ago in the state rounds and he had a granny spec RX3 Coupe (still with plastic on the door trims and visors and original radio!!) but pretty heavily modified, running inn an engine at Calder on a private day, going for a few laps... first time in a race car. VERY memorable..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users