Fairlady Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,12313.0.html
  • Tagline:Sports Cars

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Dont worry Clive its Aussy humour you will get used to it.

Just say both :P

Nice cars mate. I had a good look at the fairlady not the one i dated but the 4 wheel one.you got a good catch there dont worry about the ex lol.

#22 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,384 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Totally digging the fact you want to fix up a car you have some history with. Nostalgic value. I like your friends 260z look very clean, is it still that clean? Photo looks a bit dated now (pre digital era).

#23 EvilZ

EvilZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Rough? Well that is how she liked it  ;)

I have not gotten the driver side door open yet to see month/year but this is the vin for the car.

Posted Image

Gav - yes she is still this clean. The picture is one I just scanned a few days ago as I was putting together a timeline of the car. She has a sbc already 327 that will be coming out. She has not been touched in years as my buddy has a 78 280z with a nice 400+whp LS1 powerplant and a very nice 71 3-liter turbo 240z.

The car has the L20 in it now but was stroked to a L26 back in the mid 80s. The PO told me he couldnt remember the name of the shop but it was the same engine race shop that did the gt2000 engines. He "remembers" that it was a high revving engine. My plan is to get her running as is for now. I like that fact the car is all orginal  - so late summer she will be running around the roads of NYC. A far trip from Japan and almost 8 hours where she was sitting in upstate NY near the Canada boarder.

#24 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

S31 chassis prefix that's a genuine JDM car I think :). So a true Fairlady Z, that must be rare in your neck of the woods? I'm guessing it lived in Canada since they seem to allow the RHD cars on those roads more easily than in the US is that right?

#25 YosemiteZed

YosemiteZed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Tagline:Rust never Sleeps

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

Gav
Might have been a USA serviceman that was stationed in Japan and when returned to USA was able to ship back, as the cost would have been a lot lower and easier,I have heard of this happening before
Cheers

#26 EvilZ

EvilZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Yosemite is correct. PO brought it back to the states with him in the late 80s back to upstate NY. It has sat there waiting for me! Here in the states you don't see many RHD Z cars for sale and if you do they go for a good coin or are 2+2 models which most do not touch. I was pretty lucky to have called when I did after two years of not talking to the owner and joking with him, "How is my car doing?" - that is when he said, "Hmm, you still interested in that car?"

I screamed (in a man voice of course) - hell yea! The next week I made the 16 hour round trip to pick her up with the current gf! Talk about weird - lol

#27 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Why are RHD cars so popular over there? When you can get good Zs in great condition in LHD configuration? It's always puzzled me to be honest.

For example in Australia I don't think many people would be too interested in a LHD Z. I know of a guy in Ireland who purchased a LHD 240z and spent a fair bit of money converting it to RHD.

Also I know with a lot of the later cars like Skylines, RX-7's etc.. Canada seems to be a more favourable place to import RHD cars. I don't think they need to be converted over there, but it seems there is more red tape (at least with the later cars) getting them onto US roads.

I guess this is also why you were so keen on ADM spec indicators? For your Fairlady project perhaps?

#28 EvilZ

EvilZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

RHD just because it is rare. Also remember here in the US we got different parts from the rest of the world - mesh grill, tail lights, front indicators, clock and so on. I search for parts to make my Z car different from others. I hate going to Z shows and seeing the same thing over and over.

As far as later cars in the US you have lots to do just to make one legal. Even getting one from over the boarder isn't easy anymore. Luckly my Fairlady was brought over legally and has paperwork. It must just be a US thing for it to be "cool" to have a RHD car.

#29 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

isn't it kind of the reverse of why people in japan like having LHD cars? there's even people with Scion 86's 'just to be different'

#30 EvilZ

EvilZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Different is cool!  ;)

#31 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Different is cool!  ;)

No!
Different is different.
Cool is cool

Just because someone puts a Holden 186 in a Z to be different, doesn't make it cool!

#32 EvilZ

EvilZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

I think my LS1 in my Z makes it cool...................

My L30 in my Z is also cool...............

Having a Fairlady very cool...................

They are different and cool - lol.
I am not going to argue over our opinions because everyone has one and who really cares.  :) I do what I want to my cars because I like it and I buy what I want for them because, I like it. Hell I joined this forum because it is different from the US boards and I think it is cool! hahaha

#33 Fairlady Z

Fairlady Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,12313.0.html
  • Tagline:Sports Cars

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

yeah Im like you EvilZ.

But Simon does have a point. lets say you have a 240Z make it look like whale shark and than put a motor out of 1950's 6cyl Chevy.
yes its different yes its his car and he likes it. pitty 99.99% rest of population hates it. therefore not cool and huge fail.

But your cars are different you like it and so does everyone else = WIN and Cool

im sure we different here and have some good ideas of our own which will be different in US and makes u even cooler  :P

no idea what i just dribbled above hope makes sense ::) :P

I seen the detailed pix of your fairlady Z and its cool.

like exhaust temp warning light , different clock, seats, engine,240kmh speedo (no its not like our 260Z ones)  just to name a few

put up a build process here we would love to see its progress from sad neglected to a stunner like your other cars.

#34 imackz

imackz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Tagline:v8 into a 280zx makes 450zx

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Loving those rims on the red one  8)

Agree, those are some nice feet

#35 HS30-H

HS30-H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

I have not gotten the driver side door open yet to see month/year but this is the vin for the car.

Posted Image

Don't be too shocked or upset to see no door jamb tag for you to date the car with. Japanese market cars didn't have them. In fact, the door jamb tags were a North American market thing, so plenty of other markets didn't have them either.

It should be pretty straightforward to date the car from other evidence like manufacturing QC stamps, etc.

#36 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

Do you know the reason for the yellow hand painted rectangle around the chassis number? I have a 77 2+2 Japanese import that has the same thing.

#37 HS30-H

HS30-H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

That's usually done to highlight the chassis number for the Shakken ( a regulated inspection ). It just makes it easy to locate, easier to read and therefore more likely to be noted correctly on the Shakken paperwork. 

#38 Pegasus Zed

Pegasus Zed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Oh man they are some nice Zeds

#39 CroS13

CroS13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Tagline:throbbing member

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

Also I know with a lot of the later cars like Skylines, RX-7's etc.. Canada seems to be a more favourable place to import RHD cars.

Because its more JDM man! The same reason you see all the "hellaflush" Honda civic drivers with the "Shoshinsha mark" (the yellow and green leaf sticker, which actually represents learner drivers in japan). Its all about being JDM!

Rudolf.

#40 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

Do you know the reason for the yellow hand painted rectangle around the chassis number?

My Z has this also, at least now I know why now. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users