#1 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Tagline:RB25det powered 240z - willwoods - coils - engineered

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

So Ive mechanically had the z built for a while now and have started the engineering process. Has anyone used John Wilson? Ive had two meetings with him and all I can say is what a douche bag.........!!

First meeting i had to get my sump raised as it hung too low, he said once thats done we will do brake tests

Second meeting was supposed to be brake tests and he has now looked and told me to fix the window sprayers and plug a few grommets, still no brake test, next time!

Anyway hes happy with the car and that, but has anyone dealt with him before? Hes quoted me 1200 for engineering which is fine but id be happy to pay more to descent bloke.

I think if I had my time again id go Ray Spence.......

#2 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

john wilson is a knob. no doubt about that.
However, he's somewhat lenient, if not totally oblivious of the rules.
Unfortunately that means if his name is on the report when you go through dickson, they'll have a lot closer look at it.
Ray spence on the other hand, is very much by the book, and he's very good at what he does.
If you have it engineered by him, dickson will go easier on you, and you'll know its done properly.

#3 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Your car sits to low.
Your windscreen washers were not correct
Holes in firewall /bodywork/floorpan allow fumes or fire to pass through

These are ADR requirements, and he is the knob?

I'm a CAMS Technical Machine Inspector/Scrutineer, for rally and all levels of circuit, those cars dont have to comply to ADR's, but they do have to comply to other parameters. There are reasons for that.

ACT at $1200 is pricey, up north its 1/3rd that, and once Qld rego'd, it can then be rego'd anywhere else, provided the Mod Codes are still complying, for anyone considering buying a Ex Qld modded car.

#4 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

@ dat2kman...Yes he is a KNOB. In the post I didnt state that becasue of missng grommets or a dis-connected washer bottle that I came to this conclusion. I was referring to his demenour, attitude and complete lack of social skills... You would have to meet him to understand, but thanks for the message.

#5 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

$1200 ?? thats cheap !!
I swear he was charging that back in the 80's.  ;D

Im actually Jealous of the good ol QLD modded car plate , In gods country you could go to the local corner shop, gets some milk , bread, cat food , moded car plate  :) :)

#6 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

^^ haha if only here in the act. Yeah i cant complain about 1200 but dealing with him takes away any pleasure in the deal.

#7 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

as an example of John Wilson's knob gobblery, a friend with a gemini went through him, standard G161 motor, Rodeo EFI manifold, piazza turbo setup with a microtech computer.
One of the things john has a big rave about (other than mistaking the car for a datsun while looking at the chassis plates "isnt this a datsun, why the isuzu plates?") Was that the engine didnt have a PCV valve and it needed one in order to comply.
Even after having it pointed out with the genuine holden tech material that the gemini's never had a PCV but used a different arrangement for the control of crankcase emissions, he still wouldn't accept it.
But then i have known other people to go through him with blatantly obvious stuff and he just turns a blind (or ignorant?) eye to it.
Dickson knows all about John, hence my comment that they will go over your car more stringently if you go with him, however Ray Spence is pretty much Dicksons 'Go-to' engineer.
they know him, they trust him, they value his opinion.

#8 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Another example, but which I only found out after having a cry to a mate about him.

A good friend wanted to engineer his sII rx-7. 13b turbo/9inch etc.  As John has no fixed address for business, he aranged to meet my friend at the Symonston Long Stay caravan park of all places! After arriving 45mins late, he inspected the car and was his usual sour as a lemon self when Matt (my matt) told him that he did not wish to go ahead any further and wanted to deal with someone more and I quote "personal, friendly and professional". Well bad move, because John sent him an inspection bill for $900, and after Matt telling him where to go for 3 mins work, John took him to the Trades Business court or similar name and won the money..................

So now im really stuck with him:(

#9 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

once again, this is a forum with blokes with lots of experience....Just ask before you do something.  ::)

Alans 100% correct, the Dickson inspectors prefer Ray Spence. anyway hope it goes well , but keep us posted if you need advice.

#10 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,529 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Your car sits to low.
Your windscreen washers were not correct
Holes in firewall /bodywork/floorpan allow fumes or fire to pass through

These are ADR requirements, and he is the knob?

I'm a CAMS Technical Machine Inspector/Scrutineer, for rally and all levels of circuit, those cars dont have to comply to ADR's, but they do have to comply to other parameters. There are reasons for that.

ACT at $1200 is pricey, up north its 1/3rd that, and once Qld rego'd, it can then be rego'd anywhere else, provided the Mod Codes are still complying, for anyone considering buying a Ex Qld modded car.

Just a tip guys, but if someone types 'John Wilson' in to Google there is a chance this discussion will come up (not now but in future). Now let's say John is somehow made aware of these discussions, he may make all your lives more difficult for calling him a 'knob' and slandering him on a forum.

Perhaps try and be a little more diplomatic? You never know how things like this may impact you in future is all I'm saying.

#11 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

gee, that'd be a shame....

bit like when i was going to use DTS in fyshwick to tune my car.
after a little bit of a google i found out that they have taken several 'customers' to court for slander.
further investigation shows that they do a lousy low quality job then if the customer complains, they slam them with a lawsuit.
yep, never going to use/reccomend that business.

sometimes public opinion can be a good thing.
But yes gav, i get what your saying.

#12 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

Fair call Gav........

#13 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

I used John about 6-8 years ago.  He could have been more thorough and I think hen did turn a blind eye to some things, but at the time, he didn't have the same name he has now, everyone used him then for that exact reason.  Dickson aren't happy with him and there were rumors they failed anything that came to them from him for a while. 

Ray Spence on the other hand, I have heard nothing but good things. 

Maybe consider having John check one thing, cop the bill, then take the rest to Ray?

#14 Dingo

Dingo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

I am not standing up for John and I am not promoting him. I have had plenty of dealings with him and he has over the last 10 years gotten less social. He has been stuffed around by a lot of people and would be fair to say stuffed people around.
As a business owner I could choose to send you a bill for having a look at your car. I could also bill you for the time of travel. That's how engineers work.
I have used both of them. I have been told I can't do something by ray then had John say that's fine and John was right and ray charged me more to say no then John to say yes. But also vise versa. However in the last 10 years I have used John that much that I just call him up tell him what I'm doing and he tells me to do it. Haven't had a problem with the rta yet and I have done some crazy things. However ray does still seam to be a better person to go through.
I believe that John has some health issues and has maybe lost the love of it. He may drive a van but I have worked on his skyline and it's nice and I have sold him plenty of stuff too and he does come across with that manner. But 1200 is cheep in Canberra a commodore was gonna cost me 4500 to get done by ray and 2500 by John so everyone has there possatives and negatives

#15 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Yeah, I guess everyone has personal issues to deal with. Its just if your conducting a business and meeting people for the first time, some social skills are appreciated. Saying that, I am also still using him as he seems the easiest!! Plus Ray wanted 120.00 just for a meeting, wouldnt answer anything at all. So  John it is

#16 Dingo

Dingo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

Yeah he could do with better social skills

#17 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

So had the final meeting with Wilson today for engineering. He wanted me to fix a few little issues (grommets firewall/steering rack/water washer bottle) before we did the brake tests, exhaust noise, rolling diametre, track etc.

Firstly, Ill start by saying he's actually not a bad fella. No peoples skills, but with the amount of calls and enquiries he recieves I guess its his way of sorting the real ones out from the time wasters.

He was really happy with the car and is writing up my Engineers Certificte as we speak. $1600. We did the brake tests on the way out to hume. He drove while I held this brake recording device thats wirelessy connected to your pedal and measures force, pressure etc. He said my Wilwoods were incredible and working perfectly. I have to remove the adjustable brake bias switch but other than that just need one or two ADR spec sheets on my seats and harnesses and its just about there. Only ACT rego, install keyless start system, lower an inch and spray from Dingo Dave.... I dont know what im going to do with my time once the build ends:((((

Or does it really ever end....

#18 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

It NEVER ends!

At least you are doing it right from the start...

Good to hear its coming along nicely.

#19 dat240z

dat240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Haha, yeah. Im split on colors but am getting a mate to photoshop 2 or 3 colours to see results.

Also, its good news for the Wilwood owners out there......

#20 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Indeed, That is positive, I suppose I should do that sometime lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users